Black People : Who should teach African Studies

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MsVeraisblessed, Apr 3, 2012.

1. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
    The school board banned Mexican Studies program and kept the African American Studies program but this man wouldn't know what to say or teach a black person about slavery.

So,...who is going to teach the African American kids about their history?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Before integration, Black folk learned their history.

Truth be told, the only people in the world who need to learn their history are Black people.

It's a myth that White folk need to learn their history. In fact, they don't learn their history. They learn of their myths. (See what I did there?)

Either way, the reason why this is such a confused issue is because White people don't put a value on history. They don't have to. After all, true history doesn't follow their myths.

3. MsVeraisblessed

Ratings:
    +1,148
    Okay now thats understandable...

4. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    White people rely on the Myth of White Supremacy and Black Inferiority.

But true History teaches that Whites are not Superior to Black people and Black people are not inferior to White people.

In fact, in a modern White lens, history teaches the opposite. Greece sat at the feet of Egypt as a child. Egypt sat at the feet of Ethiopia as a child. The Ethiopians were literally worshiped by the Greeks. Zeus had a title as "Aethiops." White folk will tell you this even on racist Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aethiops

The point is, truly White folk don't learn an accurate history. Yet their in charge of our education. But that's called reaping what you sow.

The integration of schools started off as such: Black folk wanted a run down bus repaired so as to send our kids to our far school. We walked miles for our school and the run down bus in disrepair could serve the purpose. By the time the case went national, some Black folk and White folk thought it better to educate the two people together. But get this--the education of White folk was making them into monsters--wouldn't it make Black folk into monsters too?

The problems of Black folk are very simple to address. It's just not easy.

Something happened that a case on a bus in disrepair turned into the integration of all schools. It's pretty obvious to me; but these are the questions and answers that Black folk should be tackling.

'Cause there is more than one solution to this problem.

Either way, one thing about us as a people is that we don't really "Know the Enemy." To be frank, he doesn't teach himself right--so how can you remotely expect us to teach you right.

[Of his account] You know Columbus is a lie. You know Ancient Greece is a lie. You know that the Renaissance is a lie. And on and on. But somehow you think, though he lies about himself, that he'll tell the truth about you. Oh please.

5. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

This is something my Dad taught me years ago.My own research confirms this. That's why I became a genealogist. To discover exactly how white people purposely make believe their own stories and shroud them in myths and fables. However they do take our history, appropriate it and claim as their own then call us pseudo scientists when we attempt to reclaim our heritage. This is why we have much work to do.

6. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486

peace

This reminds me of when i was in college and was taking a black studies course at night and the first day i walk in and see the White Dean of students sitting behind the desk getting ready to teach. I was like :eeek:. I sat thru the first class that night, but dropped the class the next day. That's when i went to the library and picked up the autobiography of Malcolm X and read it for the first time.

7. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    This book changed my life.

8. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

No doubt. I guess i should really be thanking the dean because if there was a black man, or woman teaching the course i may have not bumped into the book until years later. Reading that book put me on a course to read everything i could about black people and our ancestors and it changed me as a person on the inside. This is the period, or shortly after where i started shedding some of my old friends because anytime we were about to do something i knew we shouldn't, i would always here "THE BLACK MAN BY NATURE IS UPRIGHT" ringing in my head and i didn't want to dissapoint malcolm..

It's also when I stopped taking pills, (asprin, cough syrup, motrin and such) eating Swine after being introduced to Elijah Muhammads brown paperback "how to eat to live" by a muslim classmate from brooklyn named kasheem. It's been 20 years since i've had any of that garbage.

Also, instead of just trying to get with this girl and that girl, now i wanted to get to know them and no matter how good she looked, if she didn't have some knowledge of self and didn't care to learn about who she was then i got ghost....

9. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    same here

10. MsVeraisblessed

Ratings:
    +1,148
    You know what,... i just remembered while i was reading the brothers post about Bro Malcolm X , when Spike Lee had problems with a white director directing this film. He told them unless they was black, they wouldn't know what it means to be a black person in this country. I thinks thats the problem with white folks in america, they don't know what it is like to be black so therefore they are not able to show us or teach us our history,...