Pan Africanism : who own's water?

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Alkebulan, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    the ? of water ownership is coming 2 a faucet near u. ppl typically don't kno or care about water till they turn on the tap & it's brown or absent. :censored: did u kno the word river & the word rival come from the same root? there r predictions tht what oil wuz 2 the 20th century, n terms of the stuggle 4 control of it, water will b n the 21st. this is a story about greed, 4 the most part.

i guess the more precise ? is, who own's plant processed drinking water ? fresh water is now n a state of cirsis. the battle is b/t those who perceive water as an economic entity vs. those who believe it belongs 2 the global commons, i.e. the ppl. 3 yrs ago, pressured by the world bank, bolivia privtized water n its 3rd largest city. a consortium led by u.s. based betchel corp received xclusive rights 2 the citys water resources. oscar olivera - "there wz a feeling of indigntion, of, enuf already b/c eveything wz being privitized xcept the air & water. the water rates, when the privitization wz complete, were higher by 30% to 300%. the gov used police, military & snipers during the final days of the conflict. victor hugo, a 17 yo boy wz killed by sniper fire". :cry: :cry: post the killings & economic standstill, the gov decided 2 kick the betchel consortium out & do what the ppl wished. across the u.s., cities & towns must replace aging pipes & public water plants @ an estimted cost of trillions. potential profits 4 water r attrcting global water companies but public opinion is divided over public ownership or privitization.

water is the next opec, f u think u hv prob now w oil, wait till the multinationals hv a starnglehold over water. b prepared 2 pay gasoline prices 4 water. n stockton ca there wz a struggle jus 2 convince the city council 2 permit the citizens of the town 2 vote on the issue of privatization. the council decided NOT 2 permit the residents 2 vote, but nstead, decided 2 vote 4 them, & decided not 2 delay accepting the contract until the public voted, & to accept privitization. btw, the sole blk council member voted 2 privitize n stockton, 2 deny the citizens the opportuinity 2 vote on the issue. :mad: can u say payola?

then there is rajasthan, a desert area of india. local control of the worlds water is key. they worked 2gether 2 provide water 4 every1. :grouphug:
    n india the national gov & local communities r on a collsiion course. rejendar singh leads a grassroots movement 4 local control of water aginst the gov plans 2 privitize rivers, streams & wells. "what we're trying 2 do is b/c mor self reliant. local action, small local action, can change global thinking n a second, n no time". :toast:

of course these companies don't com n requesting 2 take over ur water facilities, they present it as "modernization opportuinities", & ways 2 save ur city, which is invaribly broke, crucil $'s. almost sounds as thou they're doing us a favor, doesen't it? n stockton they, omi thames water - a privitization co., claimed 2 b able 2 sav the citizens $170. million over 10 yrs. :deal:

public citizen, an organization n the u.s., claims n atlanta, united water, fired half the staff, failed 2 complete repairs, & the water wuz brown, etc. 3 yrs ago, half a million ppl n bolivia came 2gether & expelled betchel b/c they worked 4 privitiztion b/c it opposed the will of the ppl. what is behind the effort 2 declare water a private property? the issue, the basic issue is rights. who owns the rights of water? the government? or, is the it the right of the community? but the gov is takeing the rights due 2 the pressure of the world bank & multinationals & not jus n "3rd" wld countries either. the citizens of stockton organzied 2 try & overturn the decision of the city council, & tht battle is ongoing.

n recent yrs what we've seen is kind of theft of the commons, the notion tht everything shld b commodified & put on the open market 4 profit. n india, coca cola & pepsi cola pump water from under poor ppl's land, bottle it & sell it back 2 the ppl. who's water is that? the crucial ? these companies r not answering is: how will they increase water resource availibility. they keep tlking about financial resource doubling. but they don't talk about river water doubling, stream water doubling, or well water doubling. it's an attempt 2 pocket poverty 4 profits & it's a disgrace. :censored: :censored:

2. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    Great piece Alkebulan...

Everytime I lQQk @ my water bill I wonder WHO? owns the water because they are making a killing. Gosh, If water gets as high as gas me and my family gonna be takin baths 2gether...lolol...

I think it's a shame and I really would like to know how things turn out with the people in Bolivia. I enjoyed this read Al, thanks.

3. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Value of water compared to gas per gallon

Comparative costs per gallon. Prices may vary according to where you live:

Gasoline - $1.97 per gallon

Evian (naive spelled backwards) water - 9 oz. for $1.49 = $21.19 per gallon

Why are we only complaining about the cost of gas?

Queenie :spinstar:

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    very intresting findings and i say why!?
    over the past year i was getting cullegan water where the price took a
    great jump and leap over night getting 3 - 5 gallon jugs per month cost
    7.95 per jug and today near 10.00 each who owns the water or control
    it ? now talking about a rude awakening and we cry about gas prices
    Nita i hear you and feel what you mean too sho nuff right about that
    water bills is crazy high now i pay a large amount for my building and my
    home is no less to keep up do i raise da rent ? (water battle is on )

5. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    "Gosh, If water gets as high as gas me and my family gonna be takin baths 2gether...lolol..." well, nita, ur still doin better then me, i wuz forced 2 go from bathing once a wk, whether i needed it or not, to, every other wk! now, when i call dex (my dog), she only comes to the five foot perimiter & stops. i wonder y.

but seriously, the ppl n bolivia banded 2gether & took 2 the streets &, risking life & limb, protested so vehemently n opposition 2 the privitization, the country wuz 'forced' 2 change it's position. they discontinued the privitization & the ppl got their wishes granted, but it wuz not w/o costs. thnks 4 responding 2 this issue nita.

thnks 4 responding nnqueen. 2 b honest, 1 gallon of water here goes 4 around $1, depending on brand. but, tht's the price now, while many, f not most facilities r still n the public domain. once the majority r privitized, & they factor n the cost of replacing the infrastructure, we cn xpect exponential increases.

yes bro rich, i'm afraid u r correct, the water battle is on, & these guys r serious. they c the potential profits 2 b had once they get the straglehold over water comperable 2 the 1 they now hv over petroleum based products, & realize tht then, every1 n the world will b a customer ripe 4 exploitation. thnks rich.

:mad: :spank:

6. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    While an interesting topic, I'm not quite sure why this is in the PanAfrican thread. However, Dr. Martin Luther King began to ask questions like this shortly before he was murdered: "Why in a planet that is 75% liquid, do governments charge for water"? This was decades before the bottled water craze. Even compared to other countries the price of bottled water is outrageous in the US, ranging from $.75 to $4.00 for some of the "name" brands (like I'm really suppose to believe this water came from the chilled waters of the Himalayas). Evian spelled backwards is naive? That's pretty good, and quite appropriate. If I was to start a bottled water company, I'd call it llay diputs (made from the chilled waters of Mt. Killamajoro). I predict an overnight success!

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    indeed Pan it would be by the name along that sells and it could be
    water from your sink !

8. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    rofl

wow!!! Every other week? ...lololol :lol:

9. Changes_Changes

Changes_Changes Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +59
    ROTF!!!

For a minute I was like, "Is that Hindu?" :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:LOL!!!!

10. triniti424

triniti424 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Singapore
    Servant of the People
    Ratings:
    +131
    Very interesting post indeed brotha but how did it end up in the pan-african forum lol
    oh and in reference to sista Queenie...evian is expensive because it costs many to buy crap in a bottle lol