Black Christians : Who is your favorite New Testament character... other than Jesus?

Discussion in 'Christian Study Group' started by Kadijah, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    I'll start off:

My favorite biblical character, other than Jesus, is the apostle Paul. More than any other, it was Paul that built the Christian church, practically from the ground up and gave Christianity to the gentile world. He was tireless, dedicated, and wrote the masterful Pauline epistles which gave instructions to the nascent churches outside Jerusalem. He also took time to succor his expected successors, the younger generation of preachers such as (I think) Timothy/Titus(?), counseling him to not cower before the elders of the church and let them push him around because of his youth. It is the opinion of many, including myself, that without the apostle Paul, there would be no Christian Church today - certainly not as we know it.

2. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317

Paul is a very admirable servant to the King, wasn't he? :) I can't think of a fav; those who followed after the Son back then were all so very admirable and so much better than myself, I love 'em all! :D

3. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    :goodpost:

I can't say I have an absolute "favorite." But, Peter comes to mind in terms of "redemption" and increased Faith.

He went from sinking on the water to denying Jesus to preaching and teaching, to healing the sick and raising the dead.

Truly a lesson in God's love and forgiveness and an example of justification and sanctification through Jesus.

4. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317

Speak it, sister!

5. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Everyone I know who is in any way, shape or fashion conversant with biblical characters loves Peter! :love: And, most everyone I know who knows Peter says he was the "thug" of the New Testament! :lol:

Peter Simon did not play! He was impulsive and emotional as well as big and "bad." He was the brother on the corner to the "bourgie" disciples, James and John. If any of the 12 would "cut" you (especially if you messed with Jesus), it would be Peter. :10200:

Great choice!

6. NyneElementz

NyneElementz Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +356
    Besides Peter and Jesus, James would have to be my fave. He did his homework, told it like it is, and didn't really care about what trditionalists thought. He stood again the greedy and oppressive. He helped us think about simple concepts we take for granted, like controlling what we say. Most of all, his motive, 100% and unapologetically, was love.