Black Sports : Who is the greatest of All time?

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by diakonos, Mar 9, 2004.

1. diakonos

diakonos Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Just in case you think its Muhammad Ali, think again. The greatest fighter of who ever lived was the man Ali freely admitted he looked up to and whose fighting style he imitated…

Sugar Ray Robinson.

Look at the man’s record. 175 wins (109 of them by knock out), 19 losses and 6 draws. He was a world welterweight champion and five-time middleweight champion. Most of his losses and draws occurred after he was well past his prime. And even then, he was still better than the average fighter.

Sugar Ray could knock you dead, with either hand (left, right it didn’t matter). So many of his fights were won after had to recover from being knocked or being behind in points. Do you know what his solution was to being behind in points? He would step up is game and knock you the @#!*% out. :uhoh: Pound for pound, he is considered by most to be the greatest boxer that ever lived.

Now, if anyone can come up with a better fighter, I want to hear it.

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    he was a great fighter so was Joe Louis, but Ali lee was a bad man !
    sonny was also a great fighter sugar Ray was a toe for toe pounder
    i would have mix tides i really feel it's Ali because he ruled the ring
    and had went up against some of the great fighters in his boxing days

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Historically speaking, I have little arguement against Sugar Ray Robinson as the greatest pound for pound. Although I have only seen a few of his fights (his early fights were never recorded anyway), every thing I read about him suggested so. Muhammed Ali was viewed by many boxing historians as a Heavyweight version of Robinson, and he copied the style of his "idol". Robinson was unbeatable at welterweight, and solid at middleweight. After his 1st loss to Jake Lamotta he fought a "tune-up" 1 week later, then beat Lamotta in a rematch 1 month later....that type of activity is unheard of today. Sugar Ray Robinson was physically & mentally decades before his time. The only negative I see about him is his short title reigns at middleweight (although he came off a 3 year lay-off, and was in his 30s at this time).

Currently Roy Jones Jr. is most frequently compared to Robinson, as was Sugar Ray Leonard. It would be interesting to see these guys go at it, but of course any predictions would be pure speculation. It is difficult to compare athletes from different eras, because too many variables exist. When considering great boxers, fighters should be compared mainly on what they do in their era. However, when doing an all time Pound-for-Pound list, I believe consideration should be given on whether they would be believed to be able to compete today. Based on his speed, power, and boxing ability, I think Robinson would be a champion in today's welterweight division (that is something I can't say about every pre-1970s boxer)