Black Sports : Who is the better middleweight: Bernard Hopkins or Marvin Hagler?

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by panafrica, Feb 22, 2004.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I know it is hard to compare athletes from different eras, but I would have loved to see these two fight. Both are favorites of mine. Bernard Hopkins holds the record for title defenses at 17 (and he is still going). Marvin Hagler defended his title 12 times before losing a controversal decision to Sugar Ray Leonard. I think that Bernard Hopkins is a better boxer than Hagler. However, Hagler is a stronger puncher than Hopkins. Both fighters are extremely tough (although I think Hagler has a better chin). While Hopkins has the greater amount of defenses, Hagler probably fought the better competition....

Who do you guys think would win if they went head-to-head? Who was the better middleweight?

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    i have to say Hagler in his era was bad to the bone
    a strong hard puncher yeap it's Hagler by TKO...!

but also one of my great fighters was sugar
    Ray Leonard very quick and light on the feet
    love his rope a dope punch

3. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I can't see Bernard Hopkins getting knocked out. However, he was on SportsCenter last week, and was asked who would win between himself & Hagler. Hopkins himself couldn't give a definate answer. He just said it'd be a great fight, and neither would be the same afterwards. :fight:

4. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    yes i watch that and he didn't say he could win but it would be a great fight
    but i strongly feel Hagler would beat him , I've watch Marvin fight some great
    fights and i love his style of boxing ....again i say MARVIN HAGLER BY TKO !!

5. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    That's a good question. I really don't know which I would pick. Marvin Hagler was a BAD MUTHA.....shut your mouth!!! Bernard Hopkins is a good champ also. I agree, I think Hagler has the power, Hopkins has the skill. I think though Hagler would take him because I think he'd eventually catch him and hurt him and take him out. I think it would definately hit later rounds. It would be a great fight to watch. :fight:

Hey, when is Hopkins fighting Dela Hoya......or are they fighting at all. I thought I heard that they were going to get it on?

6. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    The fight is tentatively scheduled for September. If it happens (both guys have to win their next fights), I predict Hopkins will add the WBO belt to his collection!!

7. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    if these two do have a bout i strongly lean toward Hopkins i think Dela Hoya
    just don't have the skills and power to beat him i agree another Belt to the
    collection

8. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I hope they do fight. I want to see Hopkins knock him out. I don't like Dela Hoya. I think he beat Mosley though. I think this too will be a good entertaining fight and I think Hopkins will take him. September is too far away though. Us boxing fans need something to snack on in the meantime. Man, good fights are so far in between it's torturing.

9. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I can't stand De La Hoya personally, so I am always happy to see him lose. Against Hopkins not only do I think he will lose, I believe he will be knocked out, so I can't wait. :grin:

There are a lot of good fights in the meantime though. This saturday Diego Corrales & Joel Casamayor are going to fight a rematch (their first fight was a classic slugfest) on Showtime. Next saturday Shane Mosley & Winky Wright are going to fight for the undisputed jr. middleweight championship. Don King has a big pay-per-view in April: Chris Byrd-Andrew Golota; John "Snore" Ruiz-Fres Oquendo; also Cruiserweight champs Wayne Braithwaithe, and Jean Marc-Mormeck will be on the card. There are also some decent matches on ESPN Friday Night Fights in between this time.

10. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    thankz for the update i'll be tuning in on a few