Black People : who is "pure" black?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by jamesfrmphilly, Apr 3, 2005.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    a lot of us say we are mixed with this and that.
    white folks are mixed too.
    they got black blood in them.
    the blood flows both ways.

when i was out in my old hood last month i saw white people there too now.
    a few.
    i saw a white boy on the corner with the gang of black boys.
    what if a white person self identifies as black?
    it's got to happen.
    you gone tell them they can't do that?

some of our most prominent "black" people are actually mixed race.
    Obama, Halle Berry, there is a long list.

according to the Africans, we are all mixed up.

so, who is "pure" and what difference does it make?
    is Clarence Thomas black?
    is he more black than Obama?

what is hip?

is Armstrong black?, Oprah?
    would Steadman be his partner if he (and she) didn't feel the same way as Armstrong?
    are Steadman and Armstrong DL?

so, what is black then?

is it a state of mind?
    a choice that you make when you come of age?
    a life style?

who here is pure black?

2. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    There is no pure black, but I think to identify yourself as black you do have to have some black blood in you; a black parent, grandparent, etc. Part of blackness is a state of mind, but if racially your bloodline is more something else, society is not going to see you as black. And a lot of the black experience has been shaped based on how we as blacks look. If racially you are white, no matter how much you associate with blacks and partake in their culture, society as a whole will still see and judge you as white.

Conversely, blacks who decide to not partake in black culture in favor of white culture, are still black. They are not black in the spiritual/cultural sense because they have abandoned that side of themselves, but they are still physically black, and will be judged as such in society.

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    one drop?

if having one drop of black blood made you black, that includes a lot of "white" folk.

4. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Miles Davis :?: :thinking:

5. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16

I don't think there is any such thing as "pure black", but there are those of pure African descent. They are simply the people with no white, Asian, or Native American ancestry in their lineage.

We must be careful in labling attaching BEHAVIOR to RACE because we're bound to include a few negative stereotypes.

For example, baggy pants were worn by white bums back in the 30's and 40's and only became popular among black youth only when West Coast rappers made it that way.
    But now, most people aren't able nor are many willing to separate sagging from "black culture" and think it's a style invented by black youth.

So in other words, when they see a white boy walking down the street sagging.....
    Instead of him being lables just a sloppy slouch, now he's "imitating those sloppy blacks and thier disgusting culture".

People alread already calling witch-craft (voo doo) poor grammar (ebonics) and poor punctuality (CP time) as "black behavior" even when these negative activities can be found among all races.

It's only a matter of time before violence, laziness, and all manner of evil and disorder will be considered "black" also as our youth are embracing a culture of violence and rebellion.

6. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    There are many continental Afrikans that aren't even so called "pure" black...particularly on the east coast ( ie: somalian, ethiopian etc..) and the islands nearby (madagascar, cape verde etc.)

7. African_Prince

African_Prince Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    "according to the Africans, we are all mixed up."

Africans aren't thinking of this one way or the other, it is Black Americans who are convinced their being so "mixed" is really such a big ISSUE. The rest of the world really doesn't care, I promise you this. Nobody looks at a Black American who has NO personal ties to their White/or NA ancestry and seriously thinks their "mixed". I would have no idea this was considered such a huge issue if it wasn't so cliche. First Africans are color blind Uncle Toms incapable of acknowledging race now were' racially fanatics obsessed with 'raicial purity'.

"white folks are mixed too"

Only 20% of White Americans have African slave ancestry, good look finding one who does and hearing him go on and on about how "mixed" he is when he looks no different than any other peckerwood.

"so, what is black then?"

Black is of African descent. Barack Obama, Halle Berry etc. are of both African and European descent, they are Black but they are not just Black, they are mixed with Black and White.

8. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Only 20% of White Americans have African slave ancestry, good look finding one who does and hearing him go on and on about how "mixed" he is when he looks no different than any other peckerwood.

ONLY 20% !!!!!

I didn't think there were THAT many with black ancestry.

9. Nisa

Nisa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    Man my dad's side of the family is like the United Nations..but my grandma was a full blood native american..and my aunt is too..looking like a straight indian..everytime i see her..im in awe..her daughter has the long black wavy native american hair...My blood line is the united nations lolol..i aint gonna get on my mom's side..But I still consider myself a black woman..because both my parents..are black..im tired of people asking am i mixed...i just ignore it..just because im black..lightskinned..with exotic features..doesnt mean i gotta be mixed...smh...then there are some blacks..like my cousin..saying she mixed with something ..i mean..they act like its bad to be black..its bad to be black only to ones that aint got no sense..and wanna conform to society's pressure

10. Kwaku Bendele

Kwaku Bendele Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Medasse pa for your post