Black People : Who is Kobe's Accuser?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Hello Family,

It's been reported that The Globe has published her picture and that her name, address, and lots of other info has been posted on the Internet. The judge has issued a gag order surrounding specific areas of the case because so much of her past has been coming to the surface.

Should alleged sexual assault victims be allowed anonymity? I don't know of any other victim that gets such consideration (other than minors). Word is, it's to protect the victim from being assaulted twice.

I know it must be difficult on the accused, that their stuff is all out in the open, while the accuser gets to hide behind this special consideration.

What do you think? Should she and all adult sexual assault victims be treated as all other victims of alleged violence?

:heart:

Destee

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    yes they all should .....her past is flying cross waves and
    many now has much doubt ....
    is she really being assaulted twice ............NO !
    just the truth and reality must come out to handle this case
    in the best fit fashion for court and justice .

3. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    This may sound like a strange question, but it seems critical that we are able to define rape. It seems that the definition of the past is not the same as in recent years.

There are women who will hollar rape for any reason these days. Victims of real rape have been successful at lobbying the system to have laws strenghtened and legal practices cleaned up to protect the rights of victims and not have them brutalized in the public arena when they seek justice.

I could be wrong but I believe one of the main reasons why sexual assault victims are protected now by anonymity is due to how women have been treated in the past when they have brought serious rape charges through the judicial system.

The majority of rapes usually involve men as perpetrators and women as victims and the judicial system has been known to be biased against women thereby making it extremely difficult to impossible for them to prove rape. When alleged rapists are set free by the courts, this can subject women to extremely threatening and hostile situations. I'm sure most of us can recall that husbands have even been charged with raping their wives, e.g., John Wayne Bobbitt.

These are just a few ways women are viewed by the court system and by the public when they charge rape:

Is she single and a virgin?
    How was she dressed and was it provocative?
    What was she doing and was she flirting at the time?
    Did she say "No"?
    Did she know the alleged perpetrator, i.e., acquaintance?
    Did she lead the perp on sexually?

Most women who are real victims of rape suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder, experience difficulty in future sexual relationships, and have a difficult time ever getting past their attack thereby undergoing therapy for years afterwards. Not all rape victims will press legal charges against their attackers for those reasons.

Defense attorneys can be extremely graphic in their line of questioning about the rape incident and a victims sexual history. To many women in this situation, they are embarassed; will tend to blame themselves thinking it was something they did or could have done to prevent the attack, and they don't want their family and friends to be exposed to the sorted details.

I see "rape" as slightly different than most criminal acts for these reasons. So there's a delicate line that one walks here and I'm not sure it's always the best thing to plaster a victim's face across the front page news. Now, one might say then that maybe the perp's identity should remain anonymous as well until AFTER the court's have issued a decision in the case. It's difficult to do this because very often serial rapists have more than one victim and keeping their identity unknown may inhibit other victims from stepping forward because they are unaware of the charges. Part of the healing process may be when victims join together and fight as a group as opposed to as individuals.

Now the question for me is, how is the legal system going to define rape to describe whatever allegedly happened between Kobe and the 19 year old woman accusing him.

Just my thoughts.

4. NADIA*BINTA

NADIA*BINTA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    i wonder who she is too... not all caught up in the mix though... i'm playing the middle :)... wouldn't be surprised if she's lying & Kobe didn't rape or assault her... and i wouldn't be surprised if she's telling the truth & Kobe did rape or assault her...

but digging up whatever issues she's had or is having is irrelevant to the case unless of course... she's been accusing guys of rape time & time & time again...

think it will really be interesting to see how this whole thing plays out...

peace

5. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    yes indeed i feel it was a act of sexuality between the two
    with a promise made but not kept and now kobe gonna
    pay for those action

6. memories

memories New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I believe something happen, between Kobe and his accuser. His lawyers, will dig out her past. When it reach a jury trial. I don't think, he has a chance of proving his innocence, especially, if the jurors, doesn't consist of one's peers.

7. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    welcome to destee.com discussion very happy your here upon us
    to share your inner thoughts on such case made here .................
    i agree that he and the accuser mix ties and you bring a very good mindful thought
    he may have a little chance but at this point now he's a looser
    she was 19 and it stands out very loud but also why was she even in his room as a worker of this hotel have these two cross before , but for sure Kobe did mix with her he stated that
    but he also say it was not by force

nothing happen that she didn't want to happen it was not force
    or an assault why she accuse me of such acts ......from kobe statement....
    wow! as this unfold we shall learn the truth of Kobe Bryant
    the saga continues

8. triniti424

triniti424 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Singapore
    Servant of the People
    Ratings:
    +131
    No, she should not be allowed her anonymity. Kobe is "innocent until proven guilty" but no one gave him anonymity. I dont know wether he did it or not but equal is so non-existant. He has no anonymity so why should she?
    Whether its Kobe or not...the double standard is definitely in play.
    But what else is new...

9. yaphet al-wynn

yaphet al-wynn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    OK in some vein in that I can see reasons for anonymity. But on the other hand if the victim is lying which DO happen in some cases,the false accusers FACE should be plastered over everything. Now in the vein of the charges brought against Kobe,is that that side of him raping or engaging in violence OUTSIDE his sport is totally out of his character along with lack of anything unsavory in his private life outside the estrangement of his family from him due to his marriage of his current wife. That was the drama most people was aware of with Kobe before this.

10. Regina

Regina Well-Known Member MEMBER

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +2
    Women who cry wolf make it harder for women who tell the truth...

There is a full moon...