Pert Em Heru / Kemetian Texts : Who is Ani ?

Discussion in 'Pert Em Heru / Kemetian Texts Study Group' started by Destee, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Peace and Blessings Family,

It seems that Ani is central to this work, so i thought i'd ask the question.

Who is Ani?

Can anyone give us some links or information surrounding this question?

Thanks a Bunch!

:heart:

Destee

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Sister River ... i see Ani is a man. Okay. Thanks. :D

I also see that there is not much written about his life, but he did have a wife. Okay. :D

Cancel my questions, let me keep reading. :book: :read:

Destee

3. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    PEACE:

The biggest mistake people make within Kemetian Theology, is to presume that a name that is read or discovered, constitutes a historical person.

This is not correct.

Ani is a Kemetic word that means "I am". Thus, ANI as mentioned in the Pert is a recitation meant to be spoken by whomever reads the texts.

As you read the text, you see the spiritual adventure that ANI undertakes; communing with, and eventually becoming the God(ess)s that he and his wife THUTHU (which means "wisdom") meet on their travels into the realm of the spirit.

HOTEPET

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Do you have any links to support the above?

Ani clearly seems to be a person, with a wife, tomb, and book of the dead for their journey.

What evidence do you have to support they were not a person?

Destee

5. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    Sure.

We see here: http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/egipto/egypt_bookdead/bodead-13-papyrus-ani.htm

That it states:

"All the different sections of the papyrus were not originally written for Ani, for his name has been added in several places' by a later hand."

Also, many times in the Pert, Ani's name is mentioned in the second person (or third person, when "Ani" is supposed to be talking).

Further, the mythological metaphores of ATR's are commonly known to create a "commoner" who seeks to correspond to/with the Divine, for the purpose of becoming one of them.

HOTEP

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    I read that same quote here, but none of the above looks like evidence to me, that Ani was not a person.

I appreciate your effort though, and will keep in mind what you've shared, as i continue to study.

Destee

7. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    To add-on further:

To understand aspects of the Pert, is to also understand aspects of daily Kemetic life.

For "Ani" to have been a historical person, to have written this tremendously invaluable text, would have meant that his life would have been well-documented, according to Kemetic tradition.

This has always been the case with Kemet's exceptional scribes, the likes of

PTAH-HOTEP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ptah-hotep

Ptahhotep, sometimes known as Ptahhotpe or Ptah-Hotep, is the name of a 24th century BC vizier and philosopher. He was vizier to Djedkare Isesi in the Fifth dynasty of Egypt. He is known as the (supposed) author of a series of wise sayings known as The Maxims of Ptahhotep, assembled ca. 2350 BC. A manuscript copy, the Prisse Papyrus, is on display at the Louvre. They are intended as advice and instructions from a father to his son.

His tomb is located in a mastaba in North Saqqara.

He had a son named Ankhu, also a vizier[1].

AMENEMOPE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amenemope

Amenemope (ca. 1100 BC) was a "wise man" who lived in Egypt. He lived in Akhim, which was located on the east side of the upper delta of the Nile. His discourses resembled that of a father telling his son how to live the good life. Although his discourses are unique, they share common themes with other wisdom literature of other cultures surrounding Egypt (Babylonian, and Hebrew, i.e., Proverbs and Ecclesiastes).

The same can be said for other Kemetic writers, such as KHONSU-HOTEP....However nothing concrete is found about ANI.

Also, within the pages of the PERT, ANI's name is transliterated with the deities that "he" then becomes.

OSIRUS-ANI (or ANUK AUSAR; "I am the living Lord" ), THOTH-ANI (ANUT TEHUTI; "I am the embodiment of wisdom"), etc.

Thus, ANI becomes that which the name has always implied; the embodiment of the Divine.

PEACE

8. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    This has also been my understanding of Ani. All his adventures take place in the after world. It would be interesting to exxplore how this man could write down the events that took place after his death.

As I said in "Book of Journeys" the value of the book is not a question of historicity but analogy and representation.

9. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    I thought the papyrus of ani was so named because it was found in a tomb for him? If he was not a scribe who lived in 12th century BCE why would a tomb have been built for him?

10. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    PEACE KEMETKIND:

To your knowledge, where is this tomb?

PEACE