Black People : Who has put the perms down...???...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by DreamFunk, Aug 23, 2003.

1. DreamFunk

DreamFunk Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    How many Black woman are consciously no longer straightening their hair, or are going for a more 'natural' look....I have met a few females that say the dont really use perms anymore, or that they no longer feel like they "have to have a perm"....I'm just curious how other Black woman feel about this subject...

...personally, I have always liked braids and curly hair more than bone straight hair anyway....and recently (since I have been introduced to them) I have been growning fond of females with nice-looking locs and twists and stuff...

...do you women of today think of yourselves as being 'less attractive' without a perm, or is it just tradition (mama and aunts did it)...???...

2. Royal_T

Royal_T Well-Known Member MEMBER

LAW ENFORCEMENT SOMETHING!?!
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm trying to stay away from the perms. I haven't had one in a long time. I am able to wear it bone straight if I want through blow drying, but I haven't done that in a while either due to braid wearing. I really don't ever want to put that mess in my hair anymore, but unfortunately it is indeed a serious process to get back to natural. That's sad, but I'm fighting through it. I'm working on dreads......I'm working on it....

3. triniti424

triniti424 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Singapore
    Servant of the People
    Ratings:
    +131
    I think perms are stinky lol sorry thats just me my auntie tried to put one on my head when I was 8...I cried like I was losin a leg lol so she stopped...my hair aint in locks...we fight every morning :lol: but I can say its still mine :)

4. NADIA*BINTA

NADIA*BINTA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    no more perms... been locking my hair a little over 4 years... absolutely LOVE IT!!!... wouldn't go back to frying my brain w/who knows what chemicals are included in those recipes...

don't feel less attractive w/o perm... in fact feel more attractive in this natural state... it's liberating... and i feel like i'm being true to myself... w/o worrying about what others think of my tresses...

peace

5. triniti424

Singapore
    Servant of the People
    Ratings:
    +131
    "don't feel less attractive w/o perm... in fact feel more attractive in this natural state... it's liberating... and i feel like i'm being true to myself... w/o worrying about what others think of my tresses...

peace"

NADIA*BINTA that was a beautiful post my sista :)

6. SUNkissed

SUNkissed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Peace to everyone in the forum.....
    Another natural WOOLY headed goddess checking in......(Hey Ya'll)
    it has been 8 years since my last "perm" (an illusion and LYE in name....SHOULD be called a "TEMP"orary)....

I have been rockin "nice looking locks" for almost a year..and I love it!!..I love to see my sistas wearing their natural crown...we are so beautiful......we are made in the IMAGE....and LIKENESS of our creator(s).....how could we ever be LESS than?...UNLESS we accept the bull$h!# LYE that is constantly being pumped (via...MEDIA)....into the HEARTS and MINDS of those who DO NOT...."Know Thyself" ...past... present ....thus----FUTURE.
    although....I don't hate on RELAXer (MORE WORD PLAY..like our hair is NATURALLY stressed or something...right..anyways)wearing sistas.... I do what I can to be a good example and RE-present Natural Beauty.

7. triniti424

Singapore
    Servant of the People
    Ratings:
    +131
    SUNkissed u said it ALL mys sista :)

8. divinity

divinity Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I was natural for 21 years.....been wearing the perm now for almost 3 years...I was always was afraid to get the relaxer b/c of the chemicals and was always told I didnt really need a perm...finally i tried it .....and I must admit i like the perm better....when i was natural I was always doing my hair...whether it was braiding, straighting, curling or whatever.....I've found the relaxer to be more mangable to me and still can get the styles i want.....I think the locks and braids are cool, but I feel like I need to comb my hair , it just dont feel completely clean without washing and combing it at least after a week....and sometimes keeping braids for too long can be damaging.....

9. SUNkissed

SUNkissed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    ..am I reading this right?

Are you saying that you have been LED to BELIEVE that LOCKS are not washed?.. I ask this because I have heard this from more than one person.... I was told this too as a child.. MUCH TO MY SURPRISE... when I did a little research.. locks...lock because of the WAY our hair grows.. in a spiral pattern..and NOT because of dirty hair.....For the record.. my hair is washed at least 2 times a week... and smell great...

and SINCE we are starting a conversation here... what made you chemically treat your hair... after 21 years??.. just wondering?.. and WHAT if any research have you done about the chemicals that are used in "relaxers" and the effects that they cause?

10. JAS

JAS Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    My main reason for perming isn't to have bone straight hair. I just want my hair to be manageable. I was blessed (and cursed) with extremely thick hair and without a perm, I'd break a comb or two a week.

Perming my hair allows me the freedom to try different styles easier. I love the natural look however I just don't think I could maintain it.