Black Women : Who has heard of "womanist" writer Kola Boof

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by panafrica, Dec 27, 2005.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I'd like to know if any of the women of Destee.com are familiar with Kola Boof? If you have read her, what is your opinion of her?

2. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Brother Pan,

I am very familiar with Kola Boof....I have a few of her books, have read and heard some of her interviews, and have "interacted" with her at another site. Although I don't agree with EVERYTHING she upholds, I greatly admire her candor and ability to openly target the colorist politics that the Black/Afrikan community often refuses to address. Her insight has often gotten her unfairly targeted (imho) for criticism by many Blacks---especially in the United States. Aside from some of the very traumatic and unique experiences she's faced, in many ways, reading her is like looking into my own soul. I remember being moved to tears when reading "Long Train to the Redeeming Sin".

3. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Sister Lioness could you share some of what she has stated about colorism in the Black/Afrikan community? Also could you recommend some of her books? I've been aware of Kola Boof for many years, but doubted her legitimacy, because of the people who promoted her. However if she is legitimate, I'd like more people on her to be aware of who she is.

4. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Ok Brother...nothing like getting information straight from the original source..

www.kolaboof.com

I would suggest that people start by checking out her site and the links therein. Now again, most, like me, won't agree on every point but will be resigned to ponder her very frank take on color politics among Afrikan people. Basically, her premise is that the dark, original Mother Afrika (gene) is under fullscale attack with the assistance of white/light worldwide supremacy....which, is often---knowingly and unknowingly, willingly and unwillingly---supported by Blacks. She is geared towards reempowering the Black woman (especially darker hued ones) to reclaim her self-respect and her Black sons in a world that rejects her indigenous, original beauty. I sincerely hope there's nothing illegitimate about her----her message certainly isn't. I support her effort to educate the Black woman about her own womb power to change the circumstances under which her people are currently living. That site, I believe, actually mentions some of her work; besides "Long Train to the Redeeming Sin," there is "Flesh and the Devil" and "Nile River Woman". Her autobiography should be coming out soon. Incidentally, I've heard Brother Jamaal and Brother Keidi interview her on several occasions at LIBRadio and InnerLight...and I don't think those brothers would knowingly put on a loose cannon...lol!

5. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    That's how I heard about her. I listened to those radio interviews and she was a pretty interesting woman. I really don't know what to make of her, but I think anyone that wants the interview could order it from their website for $10-$20. She's had a pretty interesting life.

6. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Thanks for the summary Lioness. I'll check her out, and encourage the rest of the family to do so as well.

7. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    A Little Iffy.......

I first heard of her about a year ago. She seems like a pretty down to earth Sister. Some believe she's a hoax, I don't though. Many also think her character is being used as a ploy to discredit Islam, or the Middle East, right amidst the ruckus/war. I wouldn't necessarily say she's a feminist, becausse she does support the Brothers. Honestly, she reminds me a bit of myself:spinstar:

8. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Kola Boof is VERY interesting.

Kola Boof is an attractive, beautiful Black woman who speaks from her heart and on the many experiences in her life. I truly feel that a lot of women will connect with her because they have similar experiences as a woman in the U.S. and abroad.

I think the Family should check out her works. We may even decide to include some...if not all...of her books in the Book Club series. Here is a link to a documentary/interview of Kola Boof. She talks about various aspects of her life...her parents being murdered in front of her...her Father's attempt to re-connect with his African people who denied him...her forced sexual relationship with Osama Bin Laden...her adoption to an African couple in Europe and a Black American couple in Washington, DC...and her views on Black men, how Black men view Black women, and racism around the world as well as some of the authors who have had a major influence on her life. This interview is free of charge. BEWARE: BRIEF NUDITY. (Kola Book will explain in her interview about the nudity) This interview is something that the Family shouldn't sleep on. Check it out by clicking Nile River Woman.

I don't agree with everything she said. I don't agree with feminism especially because, if you're not careful, it can come across as Black women hating Black men...which we know is not the case.

9. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I'm still learning more about her, but have enjoyed what I've heard so far!

10. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Thank you for sharing your insight and the link Monetary!:sand: