Black People : Who Has Had The Greatest Positive Influence / Impact?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Hello Family,

Who do you think has had the greatest positive influence / impact on Black People (anywhere in the world, at anytime)?

You can only name one person (male or female).

Please tell us why you made the choice you did.

:heart:

Destee

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Black Panther Party BPP
    because this party was form to fight back
    against the odds and empower many to
    carry on also was the backing of the silent
    history of the Decon's of Defense who took
    their small town into march and with all means
    to end the drout for blacks in the southen area
    I grew up knowing some of the most powerful
    black men in the party not personally but was able
    to see them hear them speak wish i had written so of the
    stories told from these men ....so i name the party as a whole
    as one cause this what it was a one like a giant person

3. PositiveMindset

PositiveMindset Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +14
    Some may not agree with my idea of Elijah Muhammad being the most influential 2 our people.

But he looked past men being labled as criminal minded & brought them closer 2 God, gave them a better identity of self, a better understanding of self, which lead 2 a greater respect.

Now he had his definite faults, cuz after all, he was only human, but he introduced a form of Islam 2 the downtrodden blak people of this land, which lifted their heads & minds, therefore bettering themselves.

Thieves no longer stole, pimps no longer tricked their women, dealers no longer pushed...

The Nation of Islam has done a much better job of correcting prisoners than the "correctional facilities" they were sentenced 2.

I don't agree with all of his teachings, but some had substance.

4. SayWord

SayWord Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Bill Cosby. He had a succesful black TV sitcom on for years. He showed a positive black family doing positive things. Outside of his TV career, he's donated money, sey up scholarship funds and continues to try to be a positive role model. And through all this, he has stayed humble.

5. deepy

deepy going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    I don't know how you answer that question with one person...it really depends on the area...of influence...the century...etc...
    globally Jesus Christ?...since a large percentage of the world relates to christianity and his words..and yet, the inventor of the wheel and the energy that understood and used fire ( i genuinely believe their (there?) root was african) have had an even greater impact, and yet inventors...or scientist, mathmaticians, etc...so many ..in diffrent areas have really impacted WE as a people and the world in general in a positive and , whether we know our history or not, influential manner.

6. Pharaoh Jahil

Pharaoh Jahil Well-Known Member MEMBER

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    Peace

I have to say Brotha El Hajj Malik El Shabazz (Malcolm X). He taught the importance of Black Unity, Blacks doing for self, Blacks owning their own businesses and not relying on "them" or running to "them" for a handout. He gave our people a sense of self pride and stressed that we shouldn't beg for our freedom but accomplish it "By any means necessary".

One of the things I mostly admired about Bro. Shabazz is that when "they" were beating our behinds, he told us to not to turn the other cheek but to defend our selves. When interviewed, he would attack the racist Amerikkkan system so harsh that every white person would hiss. His speeches defined the problems of the so-called negro at that time (and even today).

Even when he left the Nation, he was still a powerful force. He had people in the motherland pumpin' their fist and shouting "power to the people" in their native tounge. He was forming a Pan-African alliance with many important figures in Africa. He also inspired many of our people to come into Islam. The Black Panthers even stated that they were the physical manifestation of his self-defense plan. He made such an impact on our people that words can't explain. I believe he had a sound agenda for our people. Malcolm X was our living BLACK MANHOOD.

7. angelicsage

angelicsage Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    Considering the difficulty of this question…
    I’m must say Marcus Mosiah Garvey, although there are many names that come to mind…
    In short…Jomo Kenyatta, Kwame Nkrumah, and Elijah Muhammad gave their respect to Marcus Garvey’s influence and ideology. Marcus set the stage for "Revolution" and despite the fact that even the "NAACP" and W.E.B Dubois, assisted the US in his deportation in 1927...Garvey’s legacy continued through the voice of others.../ his legacy is quite impressive. If one has not had the opportunity to truly study his works in depth…it’s quite interesting and enlightening.

8. aretha

aretha Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I wrote a reply earlier but wasn't able to post it, but I must submit Queen Mother Warrior Harriet Tubman. Her fierce determination, courage, conviction, pride, stubborness, wit, physical and mental strength and ability to re-educate the most beaten down of our people is a testament worthy of world recognition. Written off as "frail", even ratted out by her husband, she still made sure that her destiny was fulfilled. She was an armed liberation warrior. She is my personal inspiration, that the extraordinary is always possible even in the midst of dire chaos. I would bet that many of those whose names have been submitted took courage from the uncompromising example of Sista Harriet, and her impact has been tremendous WORLD WIDE.

9. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,383
    Without any doubt, it had to be the Honorable Marcus Garvey. Garvey's influence was felt and known of all over the world. His organization was the largest ever in our history. Carter G. Woodson, Malcolm X's father, the Honorable Elijah Muhammad, William Randolph (the sell out), and so many more, were all a part of Garvey's organization and had to be influenced and enlightened by his philosophies. We would have no red, black and green flag if not for Garvey. The idea of nation building would not exist if it were not for Garvey. The very idea of independant economics and doing for self would not exist if not for Garvey. It was Garvey who returned to us our vision and pride of Africa and who revealed the atrocities that all Africans all over the globe were going through at the hands of those calling themselves Europeans.

Next on the list is James Brown....why, we might still be calling ourselves colored people and negroes if not for him. Because prior to his "I'm black and I'm proud", the last thing that black people wanted to be called was BLACK !!

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Peace and Blessings Family ... thought we'd revisit this thread.

Please share your thoughts.

:heart:

Destee