Black Spirituality Religion : Who Decides what is Truth and What Isn't?

river

Watch Her Flow
REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
If I decide that two plus two equals five and that works for me who is to say I'm wrong? What makes one person's math better than anyone else's?

Suppose a book contains both truths and errors Is it true just because it contains truths? Is it false just because it contains errors?

Poisoned carrots have just as much vitamin A as non-poisoned carrots.

If the Church and the Mosque gave me the option to take what is true and leave the rest alone all would be well. But they tell me I must go whole hog or nothing and devote my life to the exclusion of anything outside their respective books. That's where I disagree.

If I decide that two plus two equals five and that works for me who is to say I'm wrong? What makes one person's math better than anyone else's?

Suppose a book contains both truths and errors Is it true just because it contains truths? Is it false just because it contains errors?

Poisoned carrots have just as much vitamin A as non-poisoned carrots.

If the Church and the Mosque gave me the option to take what is true and leave the rest alone all would be well. But they tell me I must go whole hog or nothing and devote my life to the exclusion of anything outside their respective books. That's where I disagree.

Someone once said there was no truth until you make it so.

Who decides the truth?

The Truth is stable, unchanging, and unchangeable. Unfortunately each person's truth is filtered thru their knowledge and experiences. 2 + 2 = 4 all day long, but if you are bad at math, 2 + 2 = 5 will be your personal true equation until you are taught and learn better! A way to approach people without thumping them over the head with what is true (to me), and this has worked for me, is to ask them why they believe the way they believe. It creates a dialouge. I am not out to convert anyone to what I personally believe. thru my experiences I note a lot of good in most religions. And, to be honest I'd rather see how religion manifests in individuals, in other words, what is their "walk" like? If a person isn't living what they are talking, then their message, their truth, becomes shallow in my eyes, any way. But who am I to judge????????????