Black Atheists : Who Are The Notable Black Atheists?

Discussion in 'Atheist Study Group' started by Destee, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Peace and Blessings Family,

Who are the notable Black Atheists?

I can't name one ... but i'm sure there are many ... at least a few ... do you know them?

Thanks in advance.

:heart:

Destee

2. thePreacher

thePreacher Banned MEMBER

Agent Of Change
    Ratings:
    +815
    A. Phillip Randolph, Butterfly McQueen.

It is difficult to think of any black atheists because of two reasons:
    1) Most people adhere to the religion of their parents.
    2) Ole Massa worked hard, frequently by threats of beatings and death, to 'convert' our predecessors to Christianity.

Becoming an atheist is one Way for blacks to unlock the chains of slavery. Ole Massa is long dead and gone but the good slave is one who not only knows his 'place' but will even fight others who wake up and manage to cast off their chains.

An important distinction of atheists, rarely appreciated, is that they reject the superstitious concepts of God held by organized religions. I am not an atheist. But I do respect the fact that they do believe in love, spirit, and consciousness. They just choose not to call such neters God.

Grok?

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684

Brother Istlota ... Welcome Home ... :wave: ... so good to have you back! ... :love:

Thank you for these names, i did not know they were Atheists. Very good.

I too respect the Atheist for standing outside the whole ... viewing from that perspective ... that's good for anyone, viewing anything.

I've read some Black Atheists find the rejection from their own people heartbreaking, keeping them closeted.

I had to look up a couple of words Brother ... grok and neters ... just to know what you were saying! :)

I found grok but not neters ... would you mind sharing what it means with me?

Thanks a Bunch ... and again ... Welcome Home!

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
  5. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Some of our most notable Black/African historians identified as Athiests/Freethinkers. I mentioned some of them in the thread "What is Freethought".

In fact, I often find it ironic how some "religious" people use some of the same attempting to prove points in "religious" discussions.

These include: W.E.B. Dubois, J.A. Rogers, John G. Jackson, Dr. Ben Jochanin, Dr. John Henrick Clarke, as well as Frederick Douglas, Richard Wright, and James Baldwin. The above mentioned have a heavy influence on the development of Black Philosophical Thought specifically in their influence/contributions in the areas of Secular/African Humanism, Critical Race Theory, Africana philosophy, Pan Africanism, and virtually every secular phiolosphical perspective within the Black Diaspora. They also influenced those in Africa such as Steven Biko's "Quest for a True Humanity" which has led to a form of African Humanism in southern Africa known as Ubuntu.

6. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    In Late 1998 Reginald Vaughn Finley, Sr created a single page website that would act as a portal to let other minorities Know that "it's okay to NOT believe" in religion or god. The page grew and later became infidelguy.com. BlackAtheists.com was later created and then subsequently shutdown from a lack of support. I have left this page up as a way to still help in steering those black philosophers and independent thinkers to homes where they will feel welcome. Visit the various pages below.

http://www.infidelguy.com/black1.html

7. thePreacher

Agent Of Change
    Ratings:
    +815
    Neter is a term which might best be defined by one of the Ausar Auset Society members here. I became aware of it a few years ago when I was reading Ra Un Nefer Amun's books on the Metu Neter. A neter is an aspect of God. At the core of most religions is recognition of God as One. But, it is common for less learned adherents to mistake neters to be deities.

8. SlickBeast

SlickBeast Well-Known Member MEMBER

Australia
    Programmer/Game developer
    Ratings:
    +361
    Atheist forum, bro. There are plenty of religious fora out there where you can discuss your religious philosophy.

9. thePreacher

Agent Of Change
    Ratings:
    +815
    I was responding to a specific question asked of me. Previously, I had used the word neters in an attempt to find common ground between the beliefs of religious folks and atheists. Even as well known an Atheist as Stephen Hawking has conceded his willingness to accept the existence of God --- if God may be agreed to be universal laws of science. In this case, Hawking (no more an idiot than Steve Harvey is a scholar) used universal laws of science as a neter (et al, an aspect of God).

10. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Are Neters elements of nature or supernatural beings/entities? I think this is where a distinction needs to be made because if you are speaking of the latter then that becomes unscientific which means not governable by universal scientific laws.