Black People : Who Are The Honest Politicians?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hello Family,

Brother JamesFrmPhilly started this thread, 12 people close to Mayor Street indicted, and it prompted me to ask if he thought there were any honest politicians. He, as well as other Members, listed a few politicians that they thought were honest and worthy of our support.

I think this topic is important, especially with so many of us disheartened, disillusioned, and skeptical of the current political system, and deserving of its own thread.

We need to know that there are honest politicians.

So, if you know any, at any level ... please post their names and the areas they are responsible for.

Let's lift these Sisters and Brothers up.

:heart:

Destee

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    Bernie Sanders is an independent US Representative from Vermont.

3. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hmmm...honest politician? Sounds like an oxymoron.

Honest...about what? Standing up for what they believe in? Doing what they say that they're going to do once they get in political office? Not lying to the public? Operating with the utmost integrity? Not stealing taxpayers money? Not taking bribes under the table from businesses and private lobbyists who want to get rich selling products that are harmful to us and create economic polarization? Being bold enough to go against the status quo that upholds a system that supports unequal justice? Standing on principles that are the foundation of the Constitution and Bill of Rights that everyone...rich or poor...deserve access and equal opportunity and equal treatment? Someone who has the guts to stand before other statesmen and speak on behalf of the REAL people who are the BACKBONE of this nation and not the few bloodsucking leeches that profit from their blood, sweat and tears?

What.....an HONEST politician? Maybe Hussein is one and maybe all dictators are. They don't seem to disguise what they are about. But a Republican or a Democrat? Hmmm...

Queenie :spinstar:

4. Chucky

Chucky Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I will list the honest politicians below (in no particular order).

:flamet:

5. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    please help me.

if ALL politicians are bad.
    if the system is so corrupt that it can not be overcome.

what are we to do?
    shall we refrain from participating?
    shall we give up the vote that many fought to secure?

help me out here, what is the positive solution?

6. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    honest politicians dont exit. didnt almost all members of congress vote in favor of the patriot act?

7. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    so what is the solution?
    what do you suggest we do about it?

8. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I don't see how you could get to be a politician without stabbing, screwing or lying to someone along the way. This to me is why things never change, because no matter who they get in there, it all the same. I don't think someone who will actually do good will ever really get the chance to speak on it or put it into action, because that would be going against what this country stands for.......Racism, greed, dishonesty, opression and corruption.

9. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Brother James, I feel your confusion and frustration. I'm not sure how to respond to your questions but I'll do the best I can and hope that it makes sense.

First, about the right to vote. All things being equal, in a nation whose foundation is based on democracy and equal rights for all its citizens, voting is a civil right that ALL citizens should have the opportunity to exercise if they so desire. In reality though, ALL African Americans should know that this has not always been the case and we had to fight long and hard for the same privilege that all white men in this country had, in that regard.

We also should know that the political system was not designed with us in mind, and therefore, is corrupted by people who don't want us to have access to the same privileges as those who have always been in power. In an environment where people have their own selfish agendas, it's ripe with corruption and ill behavior. Even those with the best of intentions often find themselves having to do things that are questionable in character, in order to get what they want.

There's a saying that if you lay with dogs you're bound to get up with fleas. Our government is corrupt and it's made up of politicians. Everyone has their own agenda even the Black Congressional Caucus.

Based on your questions you are raising and how you responded to Destee first, my sense is that you think there is such a thing as an "honest" politician. How do you know this and how are you defining honesty? If you think that some politicians are honest, help me to understand why you believe this.

Queenie :spinstar:

10. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    if seems as if everyone is quite quick to criticize the current situation but no one is willing to come up with a plan as to what to do about it.

of all the critics, did anyone ever DO anything?
    did you vote in the last election? ever?

do you suggest Black people sit it all out?
    what do you think?

i can't seem to get a clear answer here.