Pan Africanism : Whites Who Love Africa

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by twashing, Mar 9, 2007.

1. twashing

twashing Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    I was browsing online and came across this amazing video of a little child prodigy who already has a very good mastery of some complex djembe patterns:
    Amazing Child Drummer

I was impressed and went to the website of the person who posted the video. So Istarted checking out the other vides they had on the site and also realised that they export traditional djembes from Africa and so on. Then I realised that they were was a he. Some fellow, the father of the child I assumed, had put the video, the shop, the website, and more together because he was obviously inlove with the culture. That's inspiring I thought. Someone from America (I didin't know he was white yet) uprooted himself and was now building a life around a culture and way of life he was drawn to:
    Rootsy Records

So I'm like who is this guy - this is the kind of thing I want to do. So I do a couple of googles and lo and behold, he's white:
    Jeremy Chevrier

Now, I have mixed feelings about this even though I know I shouldn't. He's obviously there building something very meaningful. Yet I felt a certain sting because there he is being in a culture that I feel should be my own - or is it? There's lots more that came to mind, but I'm curious as to what others think.

2. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Why should you not have mixed feelings? It is almost like seeing termites in your basemet. We know that is how infestation starts, loving the culture, the people, the money, so much that love turns to fiending to jealousy. Sooner or later the parasite will stop at nothing to suck life from the unexpecting host.

3. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    I am not worried about this man or any others, this should just let us know that there are millions of possibilities and oppurtunities out everywhere, we just have to stay focused and patient,as well as connect with others.

4. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    THINKING

HMMM I BET THEY DO

5. twashing

twashing Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    People people people

Cool. Interesting. Thanks for the replies. At the end of the day, I just need to keep working on myself and my plans for the future. That and, like I-Kahn said, just connecting with other people. Thanks guys.

6. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    What you’re referring to in this thread has been happening since the Greeks invaded Africa, even before then!

Right here and right under the noses of our people the same thing happened to the Blues and Jazz years ago, and let’s not even talk about Reggae. As a matter of fact, there’s even an annual Double-Dutch tournament sponsored by whites, as they teach their children Black children games.

As our younger generation embrace only Rap as their main source of lyrical and musical communication and entertainment, white people are feeding their children Howlin’ Wolf, Charlie Parker, and John Coltrane, along with getting them music lessons so they can play and master the Djembe drum and so forth.

7. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    I THINK WHITES should do what they do BEST. Imitate the ORIGINALITY of our ANCESTORS and BOAST IT to the WORLD.

Our legacy and influence GREW STILL.

In the PROCESS something that is WHOLESOME is perverted in the PROCESS and FACES DECLINE after such.

Like ROCK 'N ROLL and ALL SO-CALLED AMERICAN-NATION MUSIC. Perhaps, that is why RUTHLESS WHITE wants to COLLECT and STORE as MUCH as HE CAN because in the END even INSPIRATION will so PART WAYS.

I see RUTHLESS WHITE in the SAHARA trying to LEARN about the NOMADIC TAUREG and their MUSICAL TASTES and INSTRUMENTS.

He is trying very hard to MAKE SOMETHING NEW form SUCH.

But as always FALL SHORT.

Simply because they just dont know how SPENT their LIVES have BECOME.

Anyway I talk FOOLISH STUFF.

Oh well.

8. rapchild

rapchild Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ghana
    Ratings:
    +209
    i think da question is what can we or what r we doin about this?

9. Ikoro

Ikoro Well-Known Member MEMBER

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    Hotep.

We can't really do anything -about it-. To tell people stop (what they call) appreciating our culture is not beneficial to US or them. Only problem is we are not making money of THEIR franchise.

So the only thing that can and -MUST- be done, is that we reclaim our culture.

One.

~Ikoro

10. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    Good points brother Therious.