Black People : Whites unemployment falls...Blacks goes up - Highest in 27 yrs

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MsInterpret, Sep 4, 2011.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,452
    Black Unemployment: Highest In 27 Years

By Annalyn Censky
    POSTED: 10:11 am PDT September 2, 2011
    NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- The August jobs report was dismal for plenty of reasons, but perhaps most striking was the picture it painted of racial inequality in the job market.Black unemployment surged to 16.7% in August, its highest level since 1984, while the unemployment rate for whites fell slightly to 8%, the Labor Department reported."This month's numbers continue to bear out that longstanding pattern that minorities have a much more challenging time getting jobs," said Bill Rodgers, chief economist with the Heldrich Center for Workforce Development at Rutgers University.

Black unemployment has been roughly double that of whites since the government started tracking the figures in 1972.Economists blame a variety of factors. The black workforce is younger than the white workforce, lower numbers of blacks get a college degree and many live in areas of the country that were harder hit by the recession -- all things that could lead to a higher unemployment rate.But even excluding those factors, blacks still are hit with higher joblessness.
    "Even when you compare black and white workers, same age range, same education, you still see pretty significant gaps in unemployment rates," said Algernon Austin, director of the Race, Ethnicity, and the Economy program at the Economic Policy Institute. "So I do think the fact of racial discrimination in the labor market continues to play a role."About 155,000 blacks got jobs in August, but the group's unemployment rate still went up because those jobs weren't enough to make up for all the people who started looking for work during the month.However, the gain for whites of 211,000 jobs was enough to bring their unemployment rate down.
    READ MORE: http://www.10news.com/money/29062721/detail.html

2. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,452
    Whites are creating jobs for themselves...It really is about time we start creating jobs for ourselves...Or there will be no jobs left for us at all.

We're not moving forward...we're going backwards.

3. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    Unfortunately, our people are so far down the economic ladder the vast majority of us don't have enough in savings to start Black businesses.

4. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Then you start where you are i.e. one's home, apartment, or room. Make shift workshops will do.

As progress is made and your business grows, you move out to the garage and finally into commercial space.

5. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    It's time for some of these Black nationalist to step up to the plate and start doing something that puts Black people to work.

6. Feather

Feather Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +412
    Why don't those that have the knowledge and wealth share that with people who exibit the passion and character needed to learn. TEACH what you know, help people with a good business plan if you have the capital with a loan to start up in the agreement that they will pay it back. Seek out those individuals who are teachable when and where you can, that is an effort to create growth; its not just going to happen there has to be a transfer of knowledge a helping hand we have to support ourselves. Or will we not make the time and not have the patience? That's why we have each other to work together for the common good of us all not just being pleased with our success and sitting on it until we die.

I want to start a business and I have a couple of ideas that I'm pursuing. How did I come to this...well thanx to my ex-husband he instilled in me that it is better to be your own boss than to work for someone else and have people work for you if you can. You can make it happen! People start multimillion dollar companies with 1000 dollars because they tap into what people need and provide that service or product! Take what you know and what you are good with and turn it into a business that meets some type of demand for people. Think of needs that people have that are not met...You can. You're smart enough, we ALL have something to offer.

If you have a business help another hard working man start his with the start up money to do so...you're not losing you're gaining in a big way. Im not saying give someone the money who doesn't have their head on straight for the record.

7. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    I can tell you from experience that that which is freely offered is not highly valued .... if at all.
    Simply a quirk of human nature, I suppose.

Once in awhile, you'll catch a live one.

Also from personal experience, most people don't seek out any help until deep in some major crisis which may be too late to do anything substantial.

If the situation is salvageable, the requester returns to the same behavior that initially placed them in the crisis.

8. Feather

Feather Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +412
    Well we have to have faith... hope and optimism, and persist until we suceed, to have that attitude dear would only hender the potential growth of something great.

In our times of discouragement we have to light the fire of hope in each. other.

9. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    However, it is my truth through first hand experience.

At best, I plant seeds. It may take a few years to germinate, but it does germinate.
    This is also my first hand experience.
    When the student is ready, the teacher shall appear.

10. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +14,127
    it is past time for those who have the best interest of the white woman in mind to stop attacking black people.