Black People : Whites Only Sign and Padlock Placed on Bathroom Door

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by oldsoul, Aug 22, 2005.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    TYSON FOODS SUED FOR MAINTAINING SEGREGATED WORK AREAS:
    Whites Only Sign and Padlock Placed on Bathroom Door​

(August 19, 2005) Ashland, AL - A lawsuit alleges that Tyson Foods, Inc. is responsible for maintaining a segregated bathroom and break room, reminiscent of the Jim Crow era, in its Ashland, Alabama chicken processing plant.
    Thirteen African-American employees filed a complaint in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama late last week, alleging that a Whites Only sign and a padlock denied them access to a bathroom in the Ashland plant. The complaint states that numerous white employees had keys to the bathroom that were not provided to African-American workers.
    The African-American employees' complaint also alleges that, after they complained about the segregated bathroom, the plant manager told them that the bathroom had been locked because they were dirty and announced the closing of the break room. According to the complaint, the same white employees who had keys to the "Whites Only" bathroom formed their own, private break room, using Tyson materials to construct the furniture. Initially, a locked door segregated the private break room. To the present day, locked cabinets and a locked refrigerator maintain a private break room.
    "When I was young, my mother used to tell me stories about segregated bathrooms," said Henry Adams, a plaintiff in this case. "I never thought that her reality of seventy-one years ago would become my reality today."

The rest of the story: TYSON FOODS SUED

2. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    It's Been Growing Like This Ever Since Bush Stole The Country In 2000!

and it's only gonna get worse since err'body is so busy followin in behind em trying to play their financial games! it always has been and is only about supporting white folks at the expense of every other thing on this planet!! but don't mind me; i'm just stuck trippin on experiencing existence. just refuse to wear any colored glasses. but, y'all go ahead and grab the "empowerment" supposedly inherent in financial mastery!

ain't nothing gonna get better until ALL of non-white humanity pulls together. and that's gonna get a harder reaction out of ya than daring to dream about Africans all pulling together ... oops, sorry; i guess to be politically correct, i meant AA's pulling together ... to be collectively scoffed at by the rest of the planet's Africans in Diaspora? ok, how about "the planet's Black People all pulling together? .... er ...

<shrug> once this resurgence of white only passes down in alabama, get ready to get used to it all over. either that or stop with the shuckin and jivin for the "good massa" that is "professional sports", all the entertainment, that nine-to-five, bustin butt getting that education ... and how far does one get once one fights their way someplace close to that corporate ladder? it looks like a glass ceiling, but it's really kryptonite; and you ain't gonna bust it. but alla god's chillun gots ta dream bout sum'in! <g>

it ain't gonna work playin/fightin by the rules of today! but go head on with your bad self!

SAY IT LOUD ... we gone make it by and by .... unh-huh! sho! they keep promisin it, don't they? in the afterlife? think they telling as much truth about that as they do about anything else?

it's ok, you don't have to think about it anymore - go on back to the ball game or the latest fashion or the newest weave or or or ....

3. Wisdom7

Wisdom7 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Yeah it is going to get worse. The funny thing is is that Bush is only concerned with those white folks making over $200,000 a year, so all those others who voted for him are feelin it too and thats what they get. All I know is, that Bush is trying to make us totally obselete in the fact that we will eventually have to go through Hispanics to have any of our concerns addressed. That's why I think it's best and now is the time for black folks to find their niche and become self-employed. As college tuition goes up, the jobs are going overseas, there will be nothing left, so we have to become self-sufficient. There will be a lot of white folks poppin up all over doing that crap with the "whites only", cuz they know the Grand Wizard is finally in the "Whitey House"

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Quite simply the modern Reconstruction era (post Civil Rights movement) is ending, and too few blacks are aware enough to realize it. I like Wisdom7 believe forming our own businesses is a solution. However, I think that going to African nations and helping to build strong societies there is the ultimate solution. America is a slowly sinking ship, and it has been for some time.

5. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    It's a lose lose situation. I think if a Republican is the winner of the next election the U.S. it'll probably be worst. It's seems like if we pick the a Republic we're set back in time with race relations, if we pick Democrat we slowly lose any sense of real morals.

6. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I agree with you here. But, let's take this a little further in our thinking. We should construct our own country and make sure that its armed forces are equiped with the latest and greatest in weaponry. Trust me, there will be some killing going on. You can't house, feed and clothe your people without first developing a way to PROTECT them. If we're gonna do this, we'd better do it all the way.

7. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    QUOTE=Monetary

"But, let's take this a little further in our thinking. We should construct our own country and make sure that its armed forces are equiped with the latest and greatest in weaponry. Trust me, there will be some killing going on. You can't house, feed and clothe your people without first developing a way to PROTECT them. If we're gonna do this, we'd better do it all the way."

I AGREE. If you can't protect what you build, somebody is going to come along and either destroy it or take it from you. This is why some countries are willing to let their people starve in order to get weapons that can wipe out half the world's population if somebody messes with them.

8. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Sista, if you click on QUOTE within someone's post, the forum automatically makes their comments into a quote. You don't have to do it manually. :D

I wish more of our people had a broader view of how the world is setup instead looking at it from a more narrow point of view. We wouldn't be so intimidated by managing our own country...or nation building. :D

9. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    It's Not Crying Time Again

I know it's easy to think this is a terrible outrageous sign of our downfall. I, however, see this as the best thing that could happen to help us get to where we need to be.

Think about it.

By doing this the white man has put himself in the position of a clearly visible adversarial minority. In order to keep this from backfiring on him he will have to put up signs that say FOR WHITES, LATINOS, ASIANS, INDIANS, AUSTRALIANS, NATIVE AMERICANS AND ANY ONE NOT OF AFRICAN DESCENT ONLY.

He can't do that. If he singles us out as the only group discriminated against this will backfire as public sentiment sees how we benefit from separation. They will want what we create. But this time we hae to be wise and not be the only ones who don't benefit from our own creativity.

Here are the benefits

1. Racism will no longer be subtle. It will be in the face of every non white person. Therefore, it will be harder to deny its existence and easier to know how to deal with it.

2. When we are denied access to what belongs to the white man we will start building our own. What we need most of all right now are business leaders to educate the masses on how to operate bsinesses effectively. What we don't need right now is to focus on the doom that awaits us as we build our future around the activities of the white man.

3. OldSoul, did you say no less than thirteen African Americans pulled together to file a joint suit about a situation that brought them on one accord? When is the last time you've seen this happen? This is beautiful! We need to take this impetus and build on it. It's an opportunity for us to wake up and rise and shine!

10. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    ?

is separation really the solution here? We can remove ourselves but wont the problem still exist? What about those of us who mixed families? Would we have to leave them behind as well? When we get to Heaven, there wont be segregation, so why do we need to separate here? I know there has to be a better solution, we just haven’t thought of it yet.