Black People : Whites in Hip Hop the New Black Face???

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Jahari Kavi, May 12, 2010.

1. Jahari Kavi

Jahari Kavi Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Self Development
    Ratings:
    +523
    http://www.newsreel.org/Preview.htm

the link is to a good documentary questioning if white hip hop fans and performers are 21st century manifestations of minstrel shows.......

2. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    Imitation is the sincerest of flattery.

If no one liked Black music, style, & culture but Black people, that would be strange. Racist white people label other white people who express their appreciation of Black culture as wiggers and we accuse them of stealing.

I know two white guys who can quote every single silible of Black rappers from The Sugar Hill Gang to Ludacris. Neither of them dress or act hip hop, but they constantly test each other to see who knows more lyrics.

3. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    Interesting video. Very good doc.

First, I hate the term 'wigger.' For 'wigger' to exist that means that must be a ni----' I don't want there to be a ni---- to exist, so I don't want there to be a wigga to exist.

2nd, the more I learn about white people and what and who they are, the less I know of who or what they are.

Aesop Rock looks a pale black man. His lips are big and he looks kinda latino.

Could this a latent black identity? If there is such a thing as collective black consciousness, then how far back does it go? Maybe white people connect to black culture and rap music because it's within them naturally? I'on know, I just thinkin.

Are Persians white?

'and they travel in packs' - this is their idea of black people?

White on white racism is good. They deserve everything they ever did to us.
    But what about these guys?
    [​IMG]

I still listen to ol skool Beastie Boys.

MM is scary.

I love Chuck D, l read his book.

I love Paul Mooney. He's funny and true.

Why isn't white face offensive? Why is it mime and they don't speak?

He's wrong. I never wanted to be white.

Don't just think outside the box. Eliminate the box.

Just random thoughts.

4. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622

Errr no, it is white people's doing what they do best, stealing other people's cultures, turning inside out then centuries later claiming it has their own.

It is the 21st century version of the ministrel show. They capitalized on it then and are doing the same now, see EMINEM.

Paul Mooney is always on point!

5. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,015
    Ok but 2 questions

1 Did the Antient Kemetians frown on Greek immigrant teens who dressed like the style ad emulated the teens back then as odd?
    Or when they were colonized by Rome did they look at the Italian youth who did the same , as strange?

2. Why is it that the Last Poets, Yusef Lateef, Pharoah Sanders, Ravi Coltrane, and Imamu bbaraka get standing room only when they perform in Europe,
    but have trouble selling tickets here or in the Carribbean??

6. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    That is your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to it. My opinion, and likewise, I am entitle to it is that if you appreciate an art and make a sincere effort to emulate it, the only thing that matters is the quality of results of that effort.

If Micheal Jordan and Charles Barkly can enjoy and play golf, I see no reason Jack Nicholas and Arnold Plamer can't enjoy and play Basketball. But, then again, a White dude invented Basketball...we just "stole" it and claimed it as our own. NOT. See the slippery slope. :10500:

I don't have anything against Eminem. What he produces is quality work.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2q1e5_eminem-like-toy-soldiers_music

7. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    You do realize Eminem is a proven racist right?

8. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    This is something I can agree with you on. Imo Eminem is hilarious and very witty

9. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    No, I didn't. Tell me about it.

10. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    MM exploits black people and black music, he even says so. Admittedly, he is good at it. He's not bad for a white rapper at all.

But anyone that talks about raping his mother has some serious issues. Rape is way to demean women, is about power, and control. To try want to sexual demean the woman that brought you into the world is.... inane. Crazy. What would Frued say about that? That's why he's scary.

In the context of music, I don't understand how white people could relate to songs like 'F the Police' or 'Cave Bi****.' That doesn't make sense to me. And why they had to change their style to mimic their idea of blackness? I listen to all types of music, and Charlie Pride didn't get a perm and whiten up his face to sing country music. Living Color was a black rock band with locs, they did not put on make-up and Aquanette hairspray to mimics the rock band of the 80's and 90's. 4 non-blonds was cool, I liked their style. It look like a fusion but not exactly a blatant imitation of something they were not. The Beastie Boys aren't respected as rappers but at least they kept it at their own level.

Eric Clapton sings a lotta blues and did a cover of Marley's 'I Shot the Sheriff' and Led Zepplin had a lot of blues influences, but yet it feels different still. It's still like they are being themselves.

I think there is a difference in being influenced by a certain type of music in your style and blatantly aping it and whatever your limited idea is of the people making it.