Black Spirituality Religion : Whites & Africa/ATR - Culture Bandits? Or Returning to their Roots?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by medusanegrita, Sep 22, 2010.

1. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    A discussion I had on fb. I'm caught in a bit of a conundrum.

Some pics such as these were posted
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Whites who partake in ATR, dress in African garb, participate in African ceremonies, and otherwise trying to 'act' black or afrikan were being referred to as 'culture bandits' - meaning they are taking and/or stealing a culture and tradition that isn't theirs. This with the fact that whites have been aping and imitating the black/african culture for centuries as they demean and devalue Africans themselves, their land, their culture, their history, tand heir worth while elevating the white standard. This is why I personally was never comfortable or thought it looked right for whites to participate in ATR and become priest, priestesses, babalawos or whatever in an Afrikan religion. I too think (thought?) of them 'culture bandits' - they look so out of place among my people and I don't think of them as being apart of us but very different and not belonging. It seems when white people seek higher spiritualism, they look toward the Native Americans, Africans, and Indians for it. I mock them - 'what's wrong? Your people, spiritualism/religion, your god, and your land not good enough to offer you what you desire? Why you got to get it from the darker nations? What's so 'special' about us?'

But my one friend, of whom introduce me to Wicca and a Wiccan group in which I participated in ceremonies and festivities and felt quite comfortable to a point, had given me something else to think about. She reminded me that because of Paganism's or Wicca's euro roots, that is a spiritual culture not 'natural' to me the same way I think ATR is not natural to whites - yet I still participated and felt more at ease with that religion than any other thus far. She said ....

"These are {white} people who have come to find that the spiritual food that was offered to them (likely in the form of christianity) was lacking, so they dug deeper for something with more substance, and they found that ATR was also their roots because ALL people were born of the Black woman and Africa is the Mother land of all of Earths humans. Its not right to deny anyone who is searching for the truth, that connection, once they find it."

She has a good point, but it still don't feel right to me. These people have taken advantage of us too much for me to think this is a simple and benigh return to their Afrikan roots and Afrikan spiritual roots. Blacks have never taken advantage of anyone's culture, religion, or history in the same way they have so I consider our foray into their traditional religions to be a bit different.

Whatchall think?

2. Ezinne

Ezinne Well-Known Member MEMBER

writer, filmmaker
    Ratings:
    +314
    I will get right to the point, I DO NOT trust whites when it comes to our spiritual sciences in particular and they may search for truth, but I find it very suspicious when they dress in our attire and attempt to mimic us while still practicing their racist beliefs. Instead, they need to focus on their white people and checking them for how they treat everyone else in this world and burst that little bubble in which they believe they are superior to all and will take what they want at any cost.

Once again, I DO NOT TRUST WHITES WITH AFRICAN SPIRITUAL SCIENCE. They can search for truth all they want, after all the Internet exists, but I find it suspicious when they become deeply interested in ATR especially now with all the prophecies surrounding 2012, the economic collapse, natural disasters, general restlessness among the masses (at least in American society), the New Age movement gaining more momentum.

And those pictures are a hot mess. Lol. It doesn't even look right.

3. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

This is how it all got started the first go round!

giving them "the grip", so to speak.....

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    we love white people here.....

she is accepted and shares in the convo.
    we love white people here.

5. medusanegrita

Ratings:
    +565
    This is the one that irritated me the most. I'm not necissarily a marriage advocate, but I know some of my history. When we came here, we could not get legally married. We had ceremonies that were dictated by whites, entered into their little book or bible about slaves who mated up, but we couldn't get married. They said we weren't people, but property and we couldn't be treated the same. So we made up our little ceremony, bringing some of that old spiritualism and history along and updating it to meet the needs of an emerging class of american africans.

I heard the broom in old spirituality could be used as a medium to sweep away spirits and negative vibes. In America, the broom became symbolic of jumping over into new life, new beginning - that of being married. Hence the term 'jumping the broom.' You're sweeping away the old and entering the new. This was part of the black american ceremony in slave years since they wouldn't allow us to marry like white people and forbade us from practicing african ceremonies; and it still speaks of blacks deep spiritualism that is connected with that particular part of the ceremony.

And this part of the marital ceremony is still used by many Blacks in this day to revere our ancestors and the ceremonial ties we have with them. I never got a chance to use this as part as of my own ceremony because I didn't think of it and didn't know the significance of it back then. But now I know and think it's a great addition to any African American marriage ceremony.

But this looks like a last minute thought, a mockery. These people are laughing, LAUGHING at a deep rooted tradition of ours. They are not taking it seriously, don't even know the meaning behind it. The groom looks a little dark... maybe he has some idea, but I think not. The bride and the bridesmaid look stunned, like 'OMG, I can't believe they want us to do this! Now that's heelarious!'

I was very offended.

One more pic
    [​IMG]
    Now this looks like a tourist thang. You know what they say... when in rome do what the romans do, so I personally am not offended. I just thought they looked out of place, and it looks like dress-up. And isn't dress-up fun? Even I like that, I'm very fond of european medieval clothing from the 18th and 19th century. I don't know if I'm suffering dissonance or being a hypocrite, that's what I'm trying to figure out.

6. medusanegrita

Ratings:
    +565
    I don't want to discredit gogounited, I respect her and her religious affiliation. I like what she said in the thread river started and the one she commented in about presumptions/assumptions. I even invite her opinions here to share on the subject if she wishes, as well as anyone else. She may even surmise that she is the reason I brought this up, even though I had been thinking of doing that anyway because of those pics, and pics are worth more than anything I could say in some instances.

It's like... I can kinda accept it, but I have a hard time accepting it because of the history and the present case of white supremacy and racism that abounds.

This is what another one of my fb friends said (he's white if that makes a difference)
    I don't know what 'manichean' means or 'antipodes' - but I think he gets what I was saying and I get what he's saying here. Again, I think he makes a good point, but I can't seem to separate individual white people from their mass collective. They hardly ever do that for us.

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    think about it.....

the inability to step away from white people is what keeps black people form growing.

how can you really be pro black while all hugged up with becky?

the same sisters who are all down on a brother for getting with a white female are charmed and distracted when one approaches them.
    if it's bad for the brothers it is bad for you to sister.

8. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    There is a puke icon here right?

9. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

This is exactly how our stories and traditions get twisted and we end up taking folklore, like the story of the child in the manger and exodus as FACT!

Each cracka in those pics screams out Mormons to me for some reason. The craziest is the second one where the white boy is kneeling down watching the broom as if he thinks it's going to move before the couple get's a chance to jump over it and they're laughing about it which ain't cool at all.....Then look at the wicked preacher in the backround! How do i know he's wicked you ask? Because he just looks wicked and out of place, as they all do. how do you perform an afrikan tradition in western garb? I've never seen anyone jump the broom with a suit and tie on, or a wedding dress....!

Looks like mochery to me!

The white lady with the blonde hair in the third pic looks sickly compared to the beautiful brown and black skin she is surrounded by...so i don't know why she is cheesin' so hard!

Even one of their own has said the same thing or something similar. Check out a writer named Samuel Langhorne, or you may know him as Mark Twain!

He wrote a poem called "Skin Deep"...

10. Ezinne

Ezinne Well-Known Member MEMBER

writer, filmmaker
    Ratings:
    +314
    :SuN049: