Black People : 'Whiteness History Month'

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Al D, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Al D

Al D We become that which we repeatedly do.. PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Retired Business Owner
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +421
  2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

This could be helpful toward better understanding the project:

[News] WTF - Portland Community College to hold Whiteness History Month?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  3. Al D

United States
    Retired Business Owner
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +421
    This guy sounds like he is in total denial....Opens up by saying he is going to objective and comes across very subjective and in defense of the institution of white domination and how it has come to be that way.. He continues to states he gets it in one breath and is highly critical in another....

4. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,242
    All this talk about white student unions, white history months, etc., sounds like knee jerk reactions trying to get a rise out of us. I say let them have at it. What harm could it possibly do? They will get bored. They spend the whole year talking about white stuff already... LOL. What could they possibly come up with that hasn't already been hashed over?

5. Al D

United States
    Retired Business Owner
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +421
    So, I take it that you have read the article in it's entirety and your thoughts are that they are just trying to get a rise out of African folks? It seems as though the general consensus in the article is that they trying to shame white folks....

6. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,242
    That may be the general consensus, but in both the article and the video they cannot resist returning to the poor white man victim narrative. This is what I expect. So, my answer should have been, I think it's pointless. At the end of the day, these people will be licking their wounds. They will be building their stories about manifest destiny, black on black crime, reverse discrimination, how they cannot get jobs/get in college because of affirmative action, etc. They will never take responsibility for their crimes against humanity. The dialogue will be, "Yes, but...."

Because, if they change the narrative, they have to change the dynamic.

7. Al D

United States
    Retired Business Owner
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Exactly and if you have those whites and others who are pushing the envelope and challenging that narrative at least it opens the floor for dialogue. To be completely pessimistic and shut it down as business as usual would be to also call in question why even vote for Bernie or Hillary because the narrative has always been the same. Why? Because there is always the off chance that someone or something will force the issue to the point where it has to be contended with and can no longer be swept aside.....Obviously they must have some faith in what they are attempting to achieve and understand that there will be a great deal of push back. However, Nothing Ventured equals Nothing Gained. But I can definitely understand the cynicism...But we continue to press onward in order to press through.. I believe that white folks can do that also esp. with a little help.....

8. Al D

United States
    Retired Business Owner
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Exactly and if you have those whites and others who are pushing the envelope and challenging that narrative at least it opens the floor for dialogue. To be completely pessimistic and shut it down as business as usual would be to also call in question why even vote for Bernie or Hillary because the narrative has always been the same. Why? Because there is always the off chance that someone or something will force the issue to the point where it has to be contended with and can no longer be swept aside.....Obviously they must have some faith in what they are attempting to achieve and understand that there will be a great deal of push back. However, Nothing Ventured equals Nothing Gained. But I can definitely understand the cynicism...But we continue to press onward in order to press through.. I believe that white folks can do that also esp. with a little help.....

9. TheBlackBlur

TheBlackBlur Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +42
    Looking at Oregons history....