Black Education / Schools : White student leads black club at Alexandria high school

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by Destee, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    White student leads black club at Alexandria high school

Apr. 3, 2012

ALEXANDRIA — Michael Wattendorf, a senior at Northern Virginia's super-selective Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, stood before prospective members of its Black Student Union in the fall and introduced himself as the club's president. The freshmen, Wattendorf recalled, looked a little confused.

"Yes," Wattendorf remembers saying. "I am white."

TJ, as the magnet school is known, has long struggled to boost its African American and Hispanic enrollment. Of the 1,800 students who attended TJ last year, only 34 were black and 42 were Hispanic, school figures show.

Click Here To Read Entire Article

:heart:

Destee

2. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    "don't have to be black" to join the black student union? two black students ok with a white president? sister lost out to a white boy and is ok with that? hello???

apparently, somebody ain't been reading their history of the black student union movement, eh?

and they want to call this a "progressive" school. yeah, black folks "progressing" right on into obscurity!

this is so much at the heart of why i've started feeling/thinking/saying "step back from black" and "i ain't black; i'm back: i'm an African!"

3. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    makes sense.. getting them ready for their reality. they're preparing them for a world where they will be rewarded for their blindness. The more blind--the better. Imagine what theyre being taught in history.. the article said,

"To others, Wattendorf's presidency is a symbol of something else:
    Its black students were willing to look beyond race."
    "It's a great reflection on the people who voted for me.
    They didn't let race be a factor in their voting — they voted on the merits of my ideas,"

Like black folks have ever been the ones NOT willing to look beyond race! .. or accept others! They already have these kids confused as to what racism actually is.. and who the perpetrators are.. and who the victims are. I could, in fact, be argued that black folks continue to be victims in Racist society
    precisely because they/we are not willing to impose or elevate their/our own truth.. our own rendition of history over the abstract deceptive double-speak used by the white majority for the sake of the white majority. No man wants to tell his kids he's a murdering thieving rapist whose world is glued together with the blood and bones of indigenous people worldwide. but we cant elevate their desire to ease their own conscious above the intellectual development of our own children.

4. Thelma Jackson-Smith

Thelma Jackson-Smith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +161
    A black student union should be lead by our people only.

5. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Lawd, my people, my people! :cry: