Black People : White-only Scholarship Provided

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by NNQueen, Feb 16, 2004.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    College Republicans in R.I. create $50 award to protest affirmative action measures

By EMILY BINGHAM

The State News

"In an effort to protest the various avenues of affirmative action, a student group at a Rhode Island university has created a scholarship exclusively available to white students.

The College Republicans at Roger Williams University are offering the $50 scholarship, which requires a recent photograph to "confirm whiteness" as well as an essay on "why you are proud of your white heritage." Members of the group said they are trying to parody minority scholarships.

Tim Phelps, a member of the MSU College Republicans, said that while he can see why the approach would offend some people, it has brought the issue of affirmative action to the table in a new way."

http://www.statenews.com/article.phtml?pk=22279

This is an extremely interesting article filled with arguments and rationale that causes us to have these types of discussions here all the time. I encourage everyone to read this. This is the course and direction that affirmative action will be taking.

Is it time to take the gloves off and come out fighting like we've fought in the past but have gotten too passive to take a stand for in recent years? If not affirmative action, then what? The "old boys network" doesn't include Black folk does it? Or maybe times have changed and I'm just living in the dark ages.

What do you think?

Peace :spinstar:

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    There is more to this story than meets the eye. The president of the Young Republican Group is Jason Mattera, a Puerto Rican, who is a recipient of a $5,000 minority scholarship. I have not read any reports which have stated Mr. Mattera plans to give up his $5,000 minority scholarship. Without this sacrifice, this "protest" is obviously a hypocritical one. Here is a link which includes the "details" left out of the original stories:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wn_report/story/164775p-144382c.html

This is further proof that Latinos, and other ethnic "minorities" stradle the fence when it comes to Civil Rights (which I have said in many different threads). They are only oppressed minorities when it is to their benefit, and when it isn't, they are Caucasions who just happen to speak another language. NN Queen you ask is it time for us to start fighting for our rights again? Absolutely! We were foolish to ever stop; however, this time we need to be concerned about the rights of black people only!!! It was a terrible mistake to allow other minorities to partake of the Civil Rights victories, which were earned with Black Blood!

3. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Great follow-up

Thank you Brother PanAfrica for the additional research and input. This is very telling indeed. Minority agenda or Black agenda? Is this the question?

4. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Pan Africa thanks for just another illustration of how Black Americans have bought into this "people of color" b.s.; hook, line and sinker...and still cannot see the forest for the trees.
    This is why so many of Us are stupidly fighting for every one else and have forgotten about ourselves. First, I don't think that AA will ever be totally phased out; and I am over reacting to people and their stupidness. I agree with you Queen, when you say let's come out fighting; but the only way I think would garner Us anything is for Us to fight for Economic Viability. Plus their premise is so stupid, why even bother. I mean, think about it.
    I think that all of the White people should apply for the scholarship; I hope they are proud to be White--because I am sure proud to be Black. Who Cares?
    They are fighting for what their own party deems is what they want! They claim that AA should be based on economics--well aren't minority scholarships based on economics?

We should be concentrating making Our schools great; like they used to be. We have to filter out Blacks who don't give a ****--- teachers and parents and move...We need to keep building on HBCU's etc... and another thing; As a Black American, there is also another group that We should not expect to be on Our side and fight--- Other Blacks.

5. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Happy69:

As a PanAfricanist, and a African American who is married to a Black woman from another country. I do include other Blacks into our struggles. However, I agree 100% with everything else you said. Furthermore, I also would like to note that this wave of non-white immigration started in the 1970s. prior to the 1960s, during American Apartheid (Let's call it what it really was), very few Asians and Latinos lived here. There were some Mexicans, Chinese, and Japanese. However, most of these people were brought to work on railroads in the Western USA. Arabs, Asian-Indians, Koreans, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, and other "ethnic" minorities did not start coming over to America in the millions until the Civil Rights movement. In other words America did not become the land of opportunity for non-white people until the protest of African Americans made it illegal to discriminate based on one's race, sex, religion, or national origin. That being said all ethnic & racial minorities owe a debt to Dr. Martin Luther King and the Civil Right Movement. Yet how many Latinos, Asians, and Arabs do you see honoring Dr. King on his birthday? How many do you hear thank him for what he did for them?

P.S. I think this question deserves its own thread.

6. happy69

Ratings:
    +5
    I agree with you on most of what you say; of course I still, as always, believe that other Blacks are just like other "minorities." I am fully aware of the dynamics of the "minority" society in America. I guess I don't expect them to be any different. The golden egg in this society is to "be white." I don't blame anyone for going for it- and let us not forget that there are a fair share of African-Americans who fit this same suit; And at the same time I recognize the fact that they "play" Us just like everyone else-- or rather We play ourselves.
    They just like member of the "majority" in this country run to Our stupid arses each and everytime they want something. I challenge you; read about any issue some "minority" group wants; watch some of them on t.v.; I bet before it is over they will "reference" the Civil Rights movement...and when they really are getting it; they run to Us; and the next thing I know you Black people hollering for them!
    I have wrote at length about this dilemma that We Want to Be In...

I don't really think that We will Ever Change....

There is a fine Line between Empathy , Acceptance and Just Plain Ol' Stupidness!

They are waiting on Us to continue to fight for Affirmative Action... and We Will Do It.

I'm sorry, but why should I hate the Player? How can I get mad When I have NO Clue how to play the Game?

7. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Think about it

It never ceases to amaze me when people start screaming and hollaring FOUL when African Americans create something for themselves to better their condition in the U.S. On the subject of race-based scholarships for example, some people think that they are "unfair" and show preferential treatment to a minority population when they conveniently fail to admit and disclose the fact that historically in this country all scholarships were originally and are primarily RACE-BASED! Think about it . . . when things such as family affiliation and alumni affiliation are included in the scholarship criteria . . . who do you think that applies to and who do you think will always qualify? Keep in mind, there are many OTHER factors included in a scholarship application process that carries just as much if not more weight than race. Ahhhhh....but is THAT being discussed anywhere in the great debate about race-based scholarships and the value of affirmative action?

8. happy69

Ratings:
    +5
    AAAh, Queen;
    'nuff said! You hit it on the nail---RACIST HYPOCRISY!
    We are the only PEOPLE who cannot see OUR POTENTIAL.