Black People : white man messes up solar system

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by jamesfrmphilly, Aug 24, 2006.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    Pluto loses status as a planet

Astronomers have voted to strip Pluto of its status as a planet.​

About 2,500 scientists meeting in Prague have adopted historic new guidelines that see the small, distant world demoted to a secondary category.

The researchers said Pluto failed to dominate its orbit around the Sun in the same way as the other planets.

The International Astronomical Union's (IAU) decision means textbooks will now have to describe a Solar System with just eight major planetary bodies.

Pluto, which was discovered in 1930 by the American Clyde Tombaugh, will be referred to as a "dwarf planet".

There is a recognition that the demotion is likely to upset the public, who have become accustomed to a particular view of the Solar System.

The meeting had seen some fierce arguments before final voting
    The need for a strict definition was deemed necessary after new telescope technologies began to reveal far-off objects that rivalled Pluto in size.

Without a new nomenclature, these discoveries raised the prospect that textbooks could soon be talking about 50 or more planets in the Solar System.

Amid dramatic scenes in the Czech capital which saw astronomers waving yellow ballot papers in the air, the IAU voted to block this possibility - and in the process took the historic decision to relegate Pluto.

The scientists agreed that for a celestial body to qualify as a planet:

* it must be in orbit around the Sun
    * it must be large enough that it takes on a nearly round shape
    * it has cleared its orbit of other objects

Pluto was automatically disqualified because its highly elliptical orbit overlaps with that of Neptune. It will now join a new category of dwarf planets.

Pluto's status has been contested for many years. It is further away and considerably smaller than the eight other "traditional" planets in our Solar System. At just 2,360km (1,467 miles) across, Pluto is smaller even than some moons in the Solar System.

In addition, since the early 1990s, astronomers have found several objects of comparable size to Pluto in an outer region of the Solar System called the Kuiper Belt.

Some astronomers have long argued that Pluto would be better categorised alongside this population of small, icy worlds.

The critical blow for Pluto came with the discovery three years ago of an object currently designated 2003 UB313. After being measured with the Hubble Space Telescope, it was shown to be some 3,000km (1,864 miles) in diameter: it is bigger than Pluto.

2003 UB313 will now join Pluto in the dwarf category, along with Pluto's major moon, Charon, and the biggest asteroid in the Solar System, Ceres.

Named after the god of the underworld in Roman mythology, Pluto orbits the Sun at an average distance of 5.9 billion kilometres (3.7 billion miles) taking 247.9 Earth years to complete a single circuit of the Sun.

An unmanned US spacecraft, New Horizons, is due to fly by Pluto and the Kuiper Belt in 2015.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5282440.stm?ls

Attached Files:

2. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Brotha James.

Whenever I try to click on the attachment I get a Bulletin Message asking me to become a premie. I am a premie.

Nice arricle.

What really caught my attention is the possibble application to humans of the words "failed to dominate." Knowamsane?

3. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    Yeah, I've seen this "story". About a week ago, there was talk of calling "planetoids" of this general size "plutons". Personally, I have to wonder how many of those other similarily sized bodies have moons!

On the other hand, I really wouldn't give that sub-human that much "credit": the solar system is pretty much the same place as it was before any of us "evoluted" up from single celled critters! About the only "messing up" that they are doing is littering all over the solar system! ... And beyond: one of those probes is headed out of the solar system altogether. Additionally, the "idiots" have begun "throwing rocks at passing cars" ... sort of like the kids that have been known to throw rocks off of freeway overpasses. I wonder what it's gonna be like if one of them "passing asteroids/comets" turns out to be an extra-solar vehicle camouflaged to look like a rock?

I do wish folks would stop spending so much time talking about how much they are doing and get busy on putting together something that we could be doing to get back on our feet!! ... [broken record] Like infrastructure, education, recovery of Family Values, reaching out with "relief efforts" to those of our own that have succuumbed to the "land mines/pitfalls and mental bombs" that are scattered all over the place when one steps outside the box .. [/broken record]

On another note, I am not able to view that attachment? <shrug> It could be this newly configured Dapper Drake (Ubuntu 6.06) box, running Mozilla, or it could be something else. Ah well - such are the trevails of "stepping outside the box" ... Or it could be something to do with my not being a moderator: my "privileges" would be lower. Or it could have to do with some possible silent upgrades/tweaking with the site: I don't remember that message presenting a login at the bottom of the message when one is not logged in.

4. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    Wonder what the Plutonians think about that?

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    can anyone get the attachment?

6. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    LOL

7. roarin1

roarin1 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +28
    NAW....

He did'nt 'mess up' the solar system.
    (Though he'd like to.)

He just admitted he did'nt know
    what the he!! he was talkin' 'bout
    from git.

And for him...that's ALWAYS hard.

ROARIN........

8. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    I get it just fine.

9. hope

hope Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    well the white men messes up everything so this news aint surprising. But there has been one or two thread about the opreesor, while its important to know whats happening we should waste our time talking so much about whitey, they dont desevre a second of our time, its more important for us to make threads focusing on the solution of the oppression we are in

10. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    Nope, still can't get the attachment. I'm using Mozilla (not Firefox - doesn't work in Firefox either).

Slowly gets it just fine, and River doesn't. Are you both using IE?