Law Forum : White man killed a black father in front of his children over parking charged with manslaughter

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
All I can do is :facepalm:

...At a July 20 press conference about the incident, Bob Gualtieri, the Pinellas County sheriff, said that the county won't be pressing any charges against Drejka because of Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law. The statute states that a person can use deadly force if they "reasonably believe that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm."

https://www.businessinsider.com/florida-man-shot-killed-father-wont-face-charges-stand-your-ground-2018-7
A white man shot and killed a black father in front of his children over a parking spot and he won't face any charges because of a Florida law

Susanna Heller,
INSIDER

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

...Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri declined to arrest him, claiming his hands were tied by Florida’s Stand Your Ground law. But that is not true, and Gualtieri’s misrepresentation of the law has renewed misguided criticism of Florida’s approach to self-defense, which contrary to popular misconception does not give a free pass to armed hotheads who claim to have fired out of fear.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/24/no-the-stand-your-ground-law-doesnt-protect-florida-killer/
No, the ‘Stand Your Ground’ law doesn’t protect Florida killer

By Jacob Sullum

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
:great:

...During the press conference Tuesday, July 24 attorney Michele Rayner said allowing Michael Drejka, 47, to use the Stand Your Ground defense in the shooting death of Markeis McGlockton Sr., 28, is tantamount to "sanctioning murder."
Circle A store owner Ali Salous said he witnessed a similar heated argument between Drejka and another man who had illegally parked in a handicapped space two months ago, he said Drejka repeatedly antagonized customers at the store...

https://patch.com/florida/clearwater/attorney-says-stand-your-ground-defense-not-justified-shooting
Attorney Says Stand Your Ground Defense Not Justified In Shooting
The family of a 28-year-old man killed in what authorities are calling a Stand Your Ground shooting pleaded for the shooter's prosecution
By D'Ann Lawrence White, Patch Staff

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
:facepalm: Let's hope so.

...“If he was in fear of bodily harm or death the video doesn’t show it,” Rickman says. Based on the footage, Rickman says he believes prosecutors have enough evidence for a second-degree murder conviction.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fatal-shooting-sparking-debate-florida-211424626.html
A Fatal Shooting Is Sparking New Debate About Florida's Stand Your Ground Law. It Could Be Even Harder to Prosecute This Time

Gina Martinez
Time

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

Crump drew comparisons Thursday to the case of Martin, a 17-year-old black youth who was fatally shot by George Zimmerman, a Hispanic man who was his Orlando-area neighborhood's watch captain...

Attorney Benjamin Crump, center, flanked by Britany Jacobs, left, and Clearwater attorney Michele Rayner, right, speaks to the media at the Pinellas County Criminal Justice Center Thursday, July 26, 2018, in Clearwater, Fla. Crump, an attorney for the family of Markeis McGlockton, an unarmed black man fatally shot by a white man in a Florida parking lot said Thursday that race is the reason no charges have been filed after the videotaped altercation. (Douglas R. Clifford/Tampa Bay Times via AP)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/attorney-white-man-must-charged-killing-black-man-160505143.html
Attorney: Parking lot shooting of man 'cold-blooded murder'

TERRY SPENCER

Associated Press

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
:great:

Florida 'stand your ground' shooter Michael Drejka charged with manslaughter
https://www.yahoo.com/news/shooter-florida-stand-ground-case-charged-manslaughter-160052449--abc-news-topstories.html

BILL HUTCHINSON
ABC News

PHOTO: Michael Drejka is seen in an Aug. 13, 2018 photo provided by the Pinellas County, Fla., Sheriff's Office. (Pinellas County Sheriff's Office via AP)

PHOTO: In this July 19, 2018, image taken from surveillance video released by the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office, Markeis McGlockton, far left, is shot by Michael Drejka during an altercation in the parking lot of a convenience store in Clearwater, Fla. (Pinellas County Sheriff's Office via AP)

Sawyerloggingon

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
IMO the shooter definitely overreacted and should have been charged with murder. Also in my opinion the guy that came up and shoved him to the ground was a complete ******* and the lesson here is don't do crap like that. You just don't know who you are messing with and you might be messing with a nut like this shooter was. Keep your cool.

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Ms Drea wrote on Kemetstry's profile.
Brother Kem.. Marva Collins passed June 24, 2015
Sister Destee how have you been? It's been a while but I'm glad to be back. I see many changes so I'll browse around to get my feel of things again
sekou kasimu wrote on Destee's profile.
Jambo! I deleted a post that was a duplication. Both were deleted!!! Can you find it and repost it for me? I put a lot of work into it!
Destee wrote on shaka64's profile.
Hi Brother shaka64 ... Welcome Home! :heart:
Destee, my Sister!! I am sending you greetings with love from a rainy and relentless overcast Michigan! But you continue to bring sunshine into my life and for that I am eternally grateful! I LOVE the new look and features in the community. I hope you're enjoying your best life. Love and peace...:heart: