Black Parenting : White Imagery - Need some advice

Most Important is to Live a Life that accentuate your Pride in and the Dignity of Black Culture
Celebrate and Accentuate their Africanness, Roots, Heritage, Culture and History
Make you home a Sacred space with positive Black Imagery books Videos...Role Models/heros. So that they learn they are not victims but Victors, Surviving, and Thriving.
Share your stories and experience of how to navigate this white space as a black person.
Always prepare before and debrief them after they go away with Blacks, whites or a mixture as to what happened and memorable discussion or conversations they had.

Break down the many forms of Racism, Institutional/systemic, Internal/implicit, Interpersonal, and Structural/Societal.
Explain how Racism works, Isolation, Marginalization, Demonization, Repression/oppression, Objectification/stereotyping, and Social Neglect, so as to create feelings of Worthlessness, helplessness, shame and guilt...etc

Do not perpetuate the following popular Myths....
Color does not matter...I don't see color - colorblind
Do Not speak up about Race or Racial issues and it will go away.
Racism is dead
Reverse racism exist
Black people cannot act or be racist...as instruments/agents against the interest of other blacks
etc

Also Check yourself so that you do not preach one thing and do another...Like using words like Good hair, ****** naps, looks good for a black person, could do better, bleaching skin, lightening skin, anything too black, wearing makeup or hair style to look European, etc.

Most Important is to Live a Life that accentuate your Pride in and the Dignity of Black Culture
Celebrate and Accentuate their Africanness, Roots, Heritage, Culture and History
Make you home a Sacred space with positive Black Imagery books Videos...Role Models/heros. So that they learn they are not victims but Victors, Surviving, and Thriving.
Share your stories and experience of how to navigate this white space as a black person.
Always prepare before and debrief them after they go away with Blacks, whites or a mixture as to what happened and memorable discussion or conversations they had.

Break down the many forms of Racism, Institutional/systemic, Internal/implicit, Interpersonal, and Structural/Societal.
Explain how Racism works, Isolation, Marginalization, Demonization, Repression/oppression, Objectification/stereotyping, and Social Neglect, so as to create feelings of Worthlessness, helplessness, shame and guilt...etc

Do not perpetuate the following popular Myths....
Color does not matter...I don't see color - colorblind
Do Not speak up about Race or Racial issues and it will go away.
Racism is dead
Reverse racism exist
Black people cannot act or be racist...as instruments/agents against the interest of other blacks
etc

Also Check yourself so that you do not preach one thing and do another...Like using words like Good hair, ****** naps, looks good for a black person, could do better, bleaching skin, lightening skin, anything too b
Parents should teach their children to love their natural skin. Never desire to be something they are not. If we dont love ourselves no one else will.

Hey Folks,

I’m glad to have found a forum like this because I really need some advice/feedback on black parenting.

My wife and I seem to be at complete odds when it comes to a very specific area in raising our young daughter, and that is how we approach this idea of race and the images she views, specifically when it comes to white characters on TV, in movies or books.

Growing up and still living in a predominantly white society, I’ve come to appreciate the severe psychological impact that white imagery has on the black community and how this contributes to various forms of subconscious “self-hatred”, feelings of inferiority, etc, etc. I’ll spare you all the details of what they are, but needless to say, my wife and I are both in agreement that the images that we will expose our daughter to from the beginning will be that of positive black images; from black protagonist in books, tv and movies etc. This also means that we do our best to minimize/eliminate white imagery from our home . The reason being is that from the time our daughter leaves our home, she will be bombarded with white imagery and subconscious messaging telling that she inferior from the jump.

So far so good, right?
Well, here is where my wife and I diverge: She’s (my wife) willing to tell other parents not to play certain films/shows or books with a white protagonist(s). So for example, if my daughter makes a white friend in daycare and were to go to her house, my wife would tell the parents of her friend what is not acceptable (so a movie like Disney’s Frozen which has all white characters would be a faux pas) . Now to me, that’s where I draw the line—I can’t go around telling people what they can or can’t watch/read in their own home (unless it’s age inappropriate). I might add that I’m not a confrontational type of person, so my natural response would be to not make a situation awkward. Anyways, now my wife is basically accusing me of not wanting to protect my daughter’s psychological well-being for the sake of being “comfortable”, which I find to be totally unfair. This topic is not going away any time soon and just need some advice.

Thanks for reading and look forward to your comments!
I'm not a fan of telling people what they should and should not do with their kids. Ultimately, whatever you do will be your decision regardless of the input that you receive from others. I'm with Kemetstry if you do you job at home she will be raised correctly. One can not control what goes on outside and how ones child will respond. So with that said I will leave you with this ( let me have the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, and Wisdom to know the difference) because at the end of the day they will do what they want but at least you have given direction and established a good foundation, They will learn through experience and they will grow from it.

Hey Folks,

I’m glad to have found a forum like this because I really need some advice/feedback on black parenting.

My wife and I seem to be at complete odds when it comes to a very specific area in raising our young daughter, and that is how we approach this idea of race and the images she views, specifically when it comes to white characters on TV, in movies or books.

Growing up and still living in a predominantly white society, I’ve come to appreciate the severe psychological impact that white imagery has on the black community and how this contributes to various forms of subconscious “self-hatred”, feelings of inferiority, etc, etc. I’ll spare you all the details of what they are, but needless to say, my wife and I are both in agreement that the images that we will expose our daughter to from the beginning will be that of positive black images; from black protagonist in books, tv and movies etc. This also means that we do our best to minimize/eliminate white imagery from our home . The reason being is that from the time our daughter leaves our home, she will be bombarded with white imagery and subconscious messaging telling that she inferior from the jump.

So far so good, right?
Well, here is where my wife and I diverge: She’s (my wife) willing to tell other parents not to play certain films/shows or books with a white protagonist(s). So for example, if my daughter makes a white friend in daycare and were to go to her house, my wife would tell the parents of her friend what is not acceptable (so a movie like Disney’s Frozen which has all white characters would be a faux pas) . Now to me, that’s where I draw the line—I can’t go around telling people what they can or can’t watch/read in their own home (unless it’s age inappropriate). I might add that I’m not a confrontational type of person, so my natural response would be to not make a situation awkward. Anyways, now my wife is basically accusing me of not wanting to protect my daughter’s psychological well-being for the sake of being “comfortable”, which I find to be totally unfair. This topic is not going away any time soon and just need some advice.

Thanks for reading and look forward to your comments!
So your daughter can have white friends but is banned from watching white shows and other media?
I see the logic.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back