Black People : White America Doesn't Know Us

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by NNQueen, May 27, 2004.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    The author of this article (the link to the entire article is below), believes that "we must seek to dispel the negative stereotypes that create this fear and denigrate our image. Until we do this, racial harmony might not be achieved. We can push for new laws, but laws change policies, not attitudes." But my question to the reader is, is it the responsibility of African Americans to seek ways to dispel negative stereotypes or is it the responsiblity of White Americans to take it upon themselves to realize the untruth about the lies? Who creates the stereotypes and with whom does the burden rest with the responsiblity to dispel them?

Peace,
    Queenie :spinstar:

Source: http://www.commondreams.org/views/031800-104.htm

2. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    I m not from the States, but the experience is similar. This is just a short answer and I will come back to this interesting discussion:

I learned while growing up and to this day, that there will always be two types of white people....those that judge a black person based on how they actually see them acting, and those who stereotype. We can go all out of our way to create ourselves as what we THINK a white person may see as a "safe" or "good" negro, but no matter what, you will ALWAYS find large groups of them that fear us. Also, we lose part of ourself in trying to change our ways to put them at ease. It is not our duty to put them at ease---it is THEIR job to not be so ignorant as to fear us all. If you as a black person are living right.....to hell with what any of them think. I used to get upset when they would cross the street.....but by the time I was a teenager, I could care less because that meant that they were ignorant and for that they deserved to sweat a little. It aint our fault if they are gonna be that way. We should concentrate on those white who know how to act and not waste time worrying what any of the other think.

MrBlak

3. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    I think that it is time for Us to give up the ghost Queen.

It is time for Us to stop chasing the pipe....dream that is.

I don't believe that White people fear Us, or don't know Our history (then again, there are African-Americans who don't know Our history so).

I think that this is a game that had played out long ago. It is a mechanism that they Use to keep Us confined in a little box, and make themselves feel better about all the heinousness that they create and cause; And keep Us on edge and always fighting the battle for their sanity.

We can no longer continue any kind of progress, if We keep playing the dupe in this little game. If they are afraid, let them be. If they don't know just how many of Us are surviving and entering every realm in this society...that is their business and still a good thing that can be used to Our Advantage.

Just as We must stop living and doing the things that serve as hinders to Our Survival-We must stop battling for theirs. This, to me, would be Us placating the mental illness of the KKK and that is destructive.

Except for very very specific instances, We should not even discuss them at all...every time We feed into them, and don't pay attention to Ourselves, We are serving White Supremacy.

Time For Us To Take Off The Hoods.

4. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I agree with Happy. I think that White America is well aware that we are capable of great things, but they do keep us right where they want us. They make it so that most of us believe that the only way to make money is rap, play ball, sing or sell drugs. That's right where they want us. That way we do not venture off into their domain and try to take over and make something for ourselves. They'll give us one chocolate chip, if they can have the whole cookie. As long as it keeps us quiet. That's what we do too. We keep ourselves trapped doing one or two things. In a way that means they do fear because they know if we ever snap out of it we'll be able to catch up and this won't be as much of a white dominated world. We feed into this and help them by not getting educated and by playing into the stereotypes.

True Blak, it is definately sad that people can be so ignorant. Anyone that listens to stereotypes regarding any race is a fool. I never try to change for white peoples sake. I mean, I'm not one to act like a thug, or wear my pants sagging, but it's not to be accepted by White America. They are the least of my concern. I mean, they're going to see you how they want to see you anyways, so be yourself. They have their minds made up most of the time that they are better than us anyways, so leave them to their ignorance.

5. vj57

vj57 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    VJ's rebuttal: Personally, I don't care about the thoughts of white people. They either accept me or they don't. And I'm 100% convinced that I personally am just as good as they are. I don't feed into "they are superior to me" - never have and never will. If I have to get on them, I will do so. My nights are not sleepless worrying about white people or what they think of me.

6. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    Ok, first of all, I'm not saying that all black people are being entirely 100% held down by the white man. Like I said in my post, we have a hand in this also because we let these things happen. We buy into the stereotypes that white people dangle in front of us, which in turn makes us feel like we are less. We don't make things better for ourselves sometimes by our actions. Whether it be the magazines, television or anything else, they have the majority of the contrlo of these things. Do you see any positive images of us? Is that our doing ? Is it our decision to create black television and movie roles that make us look like ignorant fools who either tell jokes and dance around or sell drugs. No, but it is our fault for accepting roles like this. Anyone who believes that white people do not try to keep black people left behind is fooling themselves. Whatever your personal situation is that's fine. Just because you were fortunate enough to make something of yourself and you kids, doesn't mean that everyone else has walked the same path and had the same opportunities. Let's see how much control over your destiny you'd have if you were one of these guys that had drugs planted on them. Or someone who got locked up for something they didn't do, and now has a record. There are different circumstances and you can't pressume that everyone that doesn't make it is black and lazy.

7. Kannte

Kannte Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Hollywood Marketing & Projecting Racial Harmony

Queenie's questions: " . . . is it the responsibility of African Americans to seek ways to dispel negative stereotypes or is it the responsibility of White Americans to take it upon themselves to realize the untruth about the lies? Who creates the stereotypes and with whom does the burden rest with the responsibility to dispel them?

Answer: The burden and responsibility to dispel the negative stereotypes and project positive images is upon both black and white America.

In regard to the article stating:

In addition to the affirmative action of white America in employment, housing and education for black people in America, for the last 30 years Hollywood movies and television has been MARKETING and PROJECTING images of black folk, almost from every conceivable human angel possible, working together in harmony with white America.

In the late 60's the so-called black exploitation films came out, Cotton Comes to Harlem, Super Fly TnT, The Mack, etc. But then around the 70's Hollywood began MARKETING and PROJECTING black actors OPPOSITE white actors and/or working in “harmony” and conjunction with whites, to the end of accomplishing a goal, from solving a crime in a police/crime drama to saving the world from aliens (Will Smith/Alan Goldbloom-sp? fly UFO blow up mother ship) to meteorites striking the earth to James Bond and Haley Berry to Denzel fighting terrorism as a fbi agent working with a white women actor, and now cat women.

Search your mind and recall all the famous black actors and white actors who have been “paired” in a movie in the last 5 year, 10, 15 or 30 years. In all kinds of situations, from comedy to drama, the “image” has been projected and marketed of a black male or female working close (even making love), in “harmony” with a white actor or actors to accomplish a goal. And there have even been black presidents of the USA, i.e., the current running series 24 Hours. Think about all the situation comedy on TV, such as Good Times to “We’re Moving On UP” to Will Smith living in Hollywood, and Martin Lawarance in a comedy, to the current crop of sitcom on TV that attempt to tell white America what black America is like.

Yes, Hollywood has recognized that a black actor, male or female, in a starring role can sell not only to black America but white America as well and make money for the Hollywood studios. But in addition, to making money for the studios, the unspoken, and hidden agenda is to MARKET and project integration and racial "harmony," not only to white America but to black America as well. So be aware from now on that every time you see a black actor in a picture on TV or in the movies, working in conjunction with a white actor or actors to accomplish a goal (or even on the sports field) some programing and marketing is going on.

Barbershop, recently was one of the rare movies that I can recall (and you may recall a few more), that came out of Hollywood, that was strictly about black folk, the black community; the black folk in Barbershop were not working in conjunction with any white actor to accomplish a goal.

How do we, the black nation in America take up the burden and responsibility of dispelling, “ . . .the negative stereotypes that create this fear and denigrate our image . . .”?

We must collectively, SELF-“reform” and “transform” our people and nation into a “new people” based upon our collective agreement of a “SELF-DEFINITION” of who, we are, as a distinct group of people and nation.

And we must also collectively pool our mental/educational/skills to build businesses, industries and institutions of service so that we can ATTRACT and “CIRCULATE” the $$HALF A TRILLION (500 BILLION) dollars$$ that we collectively get out of the American economy, more than one (1) time in our communities and thereby project the image of an industrious and productive people and nation.

As stated in the Bill Cosby thread, in an interview with Sammy Davis, Jr., he said that several times he tried to get black entertainers together to open a movie production studio but to no avail. So today when we consider the combined money of Cosby, Michael Jackson, Michael Jordan, Oprah and all the rest of the combined income of black entertainers, sports figures and wealthy business entrepreneurs, they could produce a corporation of stock holders and produce some movie studios and distribution outlets that PROJECT positive images that dispel the negative stereotypes and positive IMAGES that SELF-DEFINE us as a people and nation.

Another question in this regard we might ask is: does white America really want “integration” and racial “harmony” based on the principle of EQUALITY of Opportunity for the entire black nation of America? Or just the PROJECTION of such by Hollywood movies, television, sports performers and few of the token “talented 10th" of our people?

8. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    This is a lot of good feedback to read, absorb and respond to. I wish I had the time right now but I don't. I will, however, get back to this when more time permits.

But quickly, Brother Kannte mentioned something about Cosby that sparked a question in my mind...it had to do with him wanting to pool money together to start a movie production company for Black people, making several attempts, to no avail. Why did he confine his efforts to just people in the same financial situation as he is and not expand his recruitment efforts to the broader Black population? But anyway....

If you had the opportunity to make a small investment by adding your personal money to an African American collective pot of financial resources, what tangible effort do you think should be the first investment made to help the Black community?

Political party?
    Banking institution--savings and loans?
    Community organization such as NAACP?
    HBCU?
    Movie industry?
    (Name your own interest)

Peace,
    Queenie :spinstar:

9. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    a banking institution......I will have to look it up but has anyone heard of "Grameen Banks" (I think the spelling is off). That was an idea in South Asia where small loans were given out to women in those communities to start small businesses. These were loans given to those who would normally not get them and the idea was highly successful apparently.

Black people need to get enuff money to buy there property. I would like to see more black tenants get together and buy their units to create Co-Op housing. When people own, they take more pride in their community, also, much of white people's wealth is in the ownership of things like real estate.

I will come back to this (the bank thing) but I hope someone here lredy knows about it too so they can help explain.

10. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    I think a political party would be a good thing. Along with the bank idea. I think in a political party, if we had someone who was reliable to nominate to a position...someone like Civil Rights attorney Connie Rice or someone who has done some good against the "big boys", then that would make a difference. If we could get a few people in office maybe things would start to change for the better instead of hoping and praying that we could get one white person that wasn't a racist to take a stand for common folks. I'm not sure how the whole political circus works, but something needs to change in Washinton.