Black People : While the media swamps us daily with news about Trump this is occurring around the world!

nilevalley

PREMIUM MEMBER
Dec 18, 2014
gettyimages-1004430156-e1532471439263.jpg

Angelos Tzortzinis / AFP / Getty Images
UNNATURAL DISASTERS
The world is hot, on fire, and flooding. Climate change is here.
By Eric Holthaus on Jul 24, 2018
Tweet

The worst ravages of climate change are on display around the world.

Wildfires have ripped through towns in Greece, floods have submerged parts of Laos, and heat waves have overwhelmed Japan. These are striking examples of climate change playing out in its deadliest forms, and they’re making the term “natural disaster” an outdated concept.

People in Greece were jumping into the Aegean to escape advancing wildfires, according to a report in the New York Times. More than 70 are confirmed dead so far, and some scenes are horrific.

“Greece is going through an unspeakable tragedy,” said Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras, in a televised address to declare three days of national mourning.

This is already Greece’s hottest year on record. Although the last few weeks have been mild and wet, it’s nearly certain that warm weather has played a role in drying out forests throughout Europe, where the number of fires this year is 43 percent above normal. Longer summers, more intense drought, and higher temperatures are all linked to greater fire risk.

We’ve known enough about meteorology to link extreme events to their increased likelihood as they are happening for years now. Recent advances in extreme weather attribution can often tell us exactly how much.

Ample evidence links worsening fires with human activity. Greece and much of the Mediterranean region is projected to turn into desert over the next several decades, and there are signs that this shift has already begun. As the region’s native trees die off and urban areas expand into neglected forests, firefighting resources are becoming woefully overmatched. Regardless of ignition source — arson or lightning or human carelessness — massive wildfires will become more common as droughts intensify and heat waves get more common. Extreme winds, like those blamed for fanning the flames this week in Greece and during megafires in Portugal last year, can make an already dire situation uncontrollable.

It’s the hottest month of one of the hottest years in the history of human civilization, and unusual wildfires are sprouting up all over the map. Sweden has called for emergency assistance from the rest of the European Union to help battle massive wildfires burning north of the Arctic Circle. Across the western United States, 50 major wildfires are burning in parts of 14 states, fueled by severe drought. The wildfires burning in Siberia earlier this month sent smoke plumes from across the Arctic all the way to New England, four thousand miles away. Last year, big wildfires burned in Greenland for the first time in recorded history.

And then there are the rains. In Laos, after days of downpours, a hydropower dam that was under construction collapsed on Tuesday. Hundreds of people have been reported missing. Higher global temperatures increase the evaporation rate, putting more water vapor in the atmosphere and making extreme downpours more common.

In recent weeks, high temperature records have been set on nearly every continent. On Monday, Japan had its hottest temperature in recorded history — 106 degrees Fahrenheit — just days after one of the worst flooding disasters the country has ever seen.

Algeria has recorded the highest reliably measured temperature in Africa, 124 degrees Fahrenheit. In late June, the temperature never dropped below 108 degrees Fahrenheit in Oman — the highest overnight low temperature anywhere in the world.

Even in normally temperate places the air has been sweltering: Temperatures approaching 100 degrees Fahrenheit hit parts of Canada, overwhelming hospitals in Montreal — where another heat wave is imminent this week.

According to calculations from climate scientist Gavin Schmidt, this year will likely be the world’s fourth warmest year on record globally, behind 2015, 2016, and 2017. With another El Niño on the way, next year could be even hotter.

All over the world, heatwaves are getting longer and more intense, the most well-documented and deadliest consequence of our failure to cut greenhouse gas emission.

Shocking reports but shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Why is #45 and his administration in denial about climate change? Don't they realize how hard it is for the average person to believe them while living in weather conditions that didn't exist 40 years ago? I can recall when I first moved to Michigan in the spring we had a blizzard. I thought I had lost my mind moving to a state where it snowed up until June the year I moved here. Now, spring comes earlier and it's very tropic-like in the summer with high levels of humidity for days on end. Lawns begin drying out in late June, turning brown and straw like. It used to be you could guarantee first signs of snow by Halloween. It's coming later and later now. And the winters can range from hardly any snow one year to blizzards and dangerously freezing temperatures the next. With so much ice, everything is covered and white. And snow mounds so high from shoveling that you can't see over or around them. It's like living in a horror movie. So much so that cities are literally shut down and people are warned to stay home. And depending on what part of the state you live, some cities get it worse than others. I believe in climate change in spite of what #45 and his crew/cronies are trying to "feed" us.

Shocking reports but shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Why is #45 and his administration in denial about climate change? Don't they realize how hard it is for the average person to believe them while living in weather conditions that didn't exist 40 years ago? I can recall when I first moved to Michigan in the spring we had a blizzard. I thought I had lost my mind moving to a state where it snowed up until June the year I moved here. Now, spring comes earlier and it's very tropic-like in the summer with high levels of humidity for days on end. Lawns begin drying out in late June, turning brown and straw like. It used to be you could guarantee first signs of snow by Halloween. It's coming later and later now. And the winters can range from hardly any snow one year to blizzards and dangerously freezing temperatures the next. With so much ice, everything is covered and white. And snow mounds so high from shoveling that you can't see over or around them. It's like living in a horror movie. So much so that cities are literally shut down and people are warned to stay home. And depending on what part of the state you live, some cities get it worse than others. I believe in climate change in spite of what #45 and his crew/cronies are trying to "feed" us.

I reside in northwest Indiana and like you I have studied the weather patterns patterns and how irregular they have become. The last time I was able to plant a garden at the beginning of the spring plant season about April 9th was spring 1991.
For the past 27 years our normal springs have been non existence. Shorter growing seasons now I plant in mid may.
There is a tree species in our front yards which before 1991 would blossom right on schedule the 2nd week in May.
Now it's blossoms the last week in June. This year for the first time in my lifetime all the trees in my city, did not sprout leaves until the second week in May. Usually trees and bushes here begin the leafing process during the first week in April.
Our trees rarely turn colors in the fall anymore the falls have become warmer and prolonged. Often what happens is that the leaves just dry up and fall with a heavy rain to the ground. If I had only known 20 years ago that the beautiful yellow gold and red autumn leaf colors would nearly disappear someday I would have taken photos of the all the trees outside our home for the visual memories.

Our winters months temperatures often resemble fall or early spring. I remember the few days following valentine day in early 2017 the temperatures broke records nearing 70 degrees. Children were playing outside in their shirt sleeves no coats, no sweaters.

Yes it is something wrong with the weather.Not just in America but all over the world. While the media just obsesses over Donald Trump it's not o.k. and people aren't connecting the dots about the world's climate. Thoses high beef prices we hover over in the supermarket is a result of the record breaking drought that hit America's farmland in 2012 the grazing lands dried for the beef cattle many cattle died and farmers warned that in the future we would be paying higher prices for beef. And we are!

We need to realize that as the years progress and the global climate continues to decline it will have a bigger impact on the planet's agricultures and it will lead to food shortages for all countries. Wars often result when these types of conditions crop up.

Someone ask me why should I worry about climate change that" it's the white man's problem," well that I say yes the white man did create this problem but in the end it will affect all of our lives mother nature isn't going to rapture all the black races when the our planet system collapses "we all will suffer together through those dangerous times"

That is why we as African Americans should try to unite so we can help each other through, when those troubled days finally confront us. They are coming, They really are.

We're going to have to do more than just unite, but I hear what you're saying. My thought is that because the extent to which damage is being done to the planet due to our lifestyles, it will impact ALL of us and we we can't control the behavior of others, just ourselves. How many of us recycle our waste?

Also, climate is not the only threat to us. These new super viruses are just as much a concern. They are leading to long term chronic illnesses and worse, death. Environmentally, storms, floods and wildfires are one thing. What concerns do we think people in Flint have in terms of the quality of their drinking water? Ask people living in the LA area what they think about the quality of their air. Man's carbon footprint is having a devastating impact the planet and it's just a matter of time before we destroy it.

Which is why I'm wondering why we are so anxious to find signs of water and life forms on other planets. Why do you think that is?

MaLadies you brought to light an extremely dangerous life altering global climate shift that was predicted via NOAA who ordered their atmospheric division employees to sign a secrecy act, the UN and more credible the WMO. NASA who knew of this danger just bluffed and blustered and tried more then once to cast off the well versed and credible Dr. James Hansen who headed GODDARD for NASA who eventually wound up testifying before the House Subcommittee. Bob Inglis a South Carolina politico and credentialed amateur weather analyst was cast off by Donald "Dumb" Trump as a Tea Party loser with a Southern style tin foil hat and more so climate change is nothing more then a Chinese hoax. If you really want to understand the raw brutality and eventually the life altering leading natural disasters up to the ELE outcome from decades of human ignorance and worst continued abuse of mother nature read what Paul Higgins of the American Meteorological Society has to say. Read Harvard Science Historian Naomi Oreskes frank and revealing tell all book: Merchants of Doubt. I have errand to run but if you want to continue this, when i return let me know. TTFN.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back