Pert Em Heru / Kemetian Texts : Which Translation Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Pert Em Heru / Kemetian Texts Study Group' started by Destee, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Peace and Blessings Family,

As i try to become familiar with this text, i see there are a number of translations available.

I have added the translation by E. A. Wallis Budge to the site, but i have since found the following text regarding it:

So it leads me to wonder, if you all are more familiar with a different translation?

Are there any translations authored by Africans / Black People ??

:heart:

Destee

2. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
  3. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61

I noticed the Faulkner translation (which the link described as better than Budge) was significantly smaller (174 pgs vs. 704 pgs) than Budge, and the site mentioned the Faulkner and other translations were "poetic", implying they were not attempts at word for word translation.

I'm not an expert in this area by any means, but it seems not only are there different translations of the papyrus but budge mentions that there are different versions of the text, with sections included/excluded/modified depending on the dynastic period it was created in.

With all that in mind, I'm just going to go with what is most readily available and your posting the budge translation makes it easy.

4. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
  5. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    WOW Sam!. I was wondering why nobody Black had ever translated the Pert. I realize that the term Egyptologist is of European extraction and Black scholars who specialize in Kemetic studies don't go by that name. But still...

So I ordered Ashby as well and I can't wait to see how he is different from Budge and Faulkner.

6. Music Producer

Music Producer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +94
    I already have the book by R.O. Faulkner. I like the pictures, they give a lot more meaning to the Spells.

May be we should take one Spell at a time?

7. kamanu

kamanu Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
  8. nibs

nibs Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +22
    ashby's translation has to be the best. i find it annoying to read the fake greek names in budge's translations. plus, ashby breaks down the personalization aspect, so you will personalize the hymns and vignettes while reading them.

9. nibs

nibs Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +22
    ashby translated a line in "virgin of the world" questionably in the ausarian ressurection book, but other than that he's cool by me. he also didn't cite where the version he translated came from.

10. Moorfius

Moorfius Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +27
    To begin with start by reading them all...from cover to cover *

Hotep

Read every thing you can find on the subject. In time the greater light will show brighter than the rest...then you will have a greater understanding of what all and every one who attempts to convey the "Sacrit Writings".

Kemetic Proverb: "When the Student is "Ready"... The Master Will Appear" *

Ase`

Note: Understand that the "Original" Text or Sacrit Writings are under the Protection of the Keepers of the Temples, Mysteries by those Kemetic Priest * Seek and you will Find. Know that the "Keys" to the "Secrets" are "Locked" in your "Genetic-Bank"...but you must know self "First"...to be able to use those keys that are your "Gift" from the Creator to you...Mr and Mrs. Black.