Which Schools Are Educating Black Children Well?

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by kemetkind, Mar 4, 2006.

?

Would you pay to support a national black school system?

1. Yes, this is too important to leave to others.

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. No, we don't need this. We need to make the government fix public schools.

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Maybe, depends on accountability for my money and the curriculum

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Educating our children is a top priority on anyone's list of must do nows.

Defining our own curriculums and teaching them in our own methodology are key components for building black self-knowledge and healthy self-image along with core academics.

We have isolated pockets of success all around the country, where some schools are doing an outstanding job educating black children....oftentimes thinking outside the box.

Angela Glover Blackwell made a key point during the State of the Black Union forum last week, that we must identify what these schools are doing well and then nationalize their practices. She was coming at this from a policy angle, I'm thinking more of a self-sufficiency model. Either way, the first steps are to identify, document and publicize.

I'm posting this in the open forum instead of parenting because we all should tackle this issue whether we have children or not.

If any of you know of schools producing black excellence tell us about it!

Here is the compiled list identified so far...
    1. Ometeko Gwamaziima -- Durham

2. Lyric Genesis

Lyric Genesis Member MEMBER

the arts
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do find this to be an interesting topic...that in 2006 we have to question which schools, or where are the schools that educate our children well...Needless to say we are in America, a country still governed by anglo saxon thoughts and practices regarding academia...
    It is most important that we begin the education process of self at home and in the communtity, and share the knowledge...
    Reality...society isn't interested in our children knowing our history, and often times I question if we are interested in the like...
    Yes, there are schools around the country dedicated to educating black children about black culture, black knowledge, black dialect..however, these schools tend to not focus on world culture as a hold..
    I believe our biggest challenge is to find the balance, build the schools of thought, and then document and publicize..otherwise we will be here again in 50 yrs, asking america is she educating our children well.

3. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    During my school days one of my history books, in its half-a-page on slavery had the audacity to say most slaves were treated well by their masters! There was another time some 'missionaries' came to the school saying, "What should we call 'you people'?" and then singing "Please don't send me to Africa." These examples, (which are only but a few of the racist incidents I've encountered in a so-called 'Christian' school), occurred in environments where the student body was mostly black, but the teachers were white. Parents were paying to send kids to a school where they were being taught they were inferior!

Granted, I don't blame my parents for deciding to put me there because in their eyes it was the best option. But I don't want my child to have to be exposed to those types of messages. So, if there was a black-oriented school system that worked I guess in the manner as most black colleges yes, I would support it. Until then, I plan on using homeschooling to teach my kid.

4. sonnee01

sonnee01 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +29
    That's the ticket Kemetkind, Lyric Genesis and Karmashines... it's up to us to educate our own...it just that simple!! Now, for those who choose or have to send their child/children to the school house.. teaching/educating them should not stop once they leave the school house. Learning should be a life long experience.

5. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    'WAYS AND MEANS' FOR A LIBERATION EDUCATION

This issue is one of the issues that tells me that most Blacks are not thinking fast enough or outside the box enough to survive.

I'm gon cut to the chaste here. Our first priority ought to be to get as many Black children as possible out of the white-run public and private school systems and into our own schools where they ought to be provided with a "Liberation Education." Many Black scholars have written extensively about what a Liberation Education entails, so I don't need to provide details here.

This is comon sense to me. Black children in ANY white-run educational arena are being indoctrinated to uphold white supremacy. This is not news to anyone here, I'm sure, so why don't we cut out all of this rhetoric about all of these other after-the-damage-has-been-done issues and just focus on discussing the WAYS AND MEANS to prevent a large part of the damage from ever taking place.

I'm acquainted with a number of Blacks who work in public schools or work in connection with them. From what they tell me and from what I've read and observed, AAs, as a group, are already doomed if our children remain in the current educational system--both public and private.

6. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    I like your focus Riada, but really, isn't the gist of your post exactly what this thread is about?

IMO, one of the first steps to getting pragmatic is gaining awareness of those schools that ARE providing a liberation education so they can be used as a model and emulated around the country, using our own funds (hence the poll).

Do you personally know of any such schools?

7. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    Someone must be about to open the 7TH SEAL somewhere, because this is the second time in as many days, that I've agreed wholeheartedly with what you've said.

:bullseye:

PEACE

8. youngblackceo

youngblackceo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    I think everyone has made some good points, but what I find puzzling is that we can discuss education and have not even defined what education should mean to us as a people.

9. Riada

Ratings:
    +18
    Well, I wasn't sure what kind of schools some of you are talking about. Many times when Black folks talk about issues here, I've found out later on that we often have very different concepts and definitions in mind of that same issue. We may be talking about fruit, for ex. and I'm talking about apples and find out later you're talking about oranges.This is guaranteed to lead to disagreements.

When some Black people talk about "good" schools, they're talking about schools that can equip Black children with strong readin' writin' and rithmetic skills. They're happy for this since so many schools are failing to do even that. My nephews go to white-run schools that do that very well.

However, they are not getting a Liberation Education. So we have to pick up the slack at home. So I'm not talking about the type of school they attend.

What I'm saying here is that instead of the rhetoric about this that and the other here, we could start specifically focusing on the 'ways and means' to set up the type of schools that support and enhance our survival and development. Such schools would teach a lot more than the 3 R's. Some of them exist already. No, I don't know of any by name. If we decided to focus on finding them, we could easily find them though.

IMO, many AAs of all stripes would support contributing money, time, energy, ideas, and other resources to set up and support this type of school. Many of us may disagree on many things, but most of us do agree that our children are our future.

So, I would suggest that we start a bona fide foundation to handle the securing of funds, research, curriculum and other matters that pertain to the overall development of such schools. In time, these schools could spring up across the country, starting with one, of course. We would have to be very SERIOUS about making this first school successful, whatever it took, so only committed people should get on board.

Egos would have to be checked. IMO, that should be the first order of business. There are many brainy people on this site. I don't understand why their brains can't be poured into developing these critically needed schools.

I'm not suggesting that I will get involved with this. I may not be the best type of person for a number of reasons. That wouldn't matter to me because this is not about ego for me. It's about survival for the group.

10. Riada

Ratings:
    +18
    You know what? I think many of us Blacks from the various camps (nationalists, conservatives, biracials, those in IRS, integrationists, panafricanists, muslims, christians, atrs, buddhists, etc.) agree on many, many issues, but a pattern I've noticed here is that some people here like to focus on what we disagree on and then they proceed to try to rip the person they disagree with on that one issue with to pieces with such savagery!!

IMO, Blacks here have been programmed to do this with each other. I see this all the time with young Black children. They prefer to focus on what they don't like about each other instead of what they do. It's almost as if they're scared to love each other.

For ex. when someone puts forth an idea that may have merit here, I've noticed that instead of the rest of us applauding the person, some people here try to find the flaws in the idea or focus on the idea not being complete or refined and they hammer the person for not presenting a a PERFECT idea in every way. An idea is just that, an idea--not a time-tested, flawless plan. Other people, IMO, ought to jump onboard to try to flesh out the idea instead of criticizing it.

When someone presents me with a kernel of an idea that I see merit in or one that can possibly help me, I don't really care what camp that person is from, I try to help to develop the kernel into a full plan. I don't try to point out what's wrong with it or say it's not complete or disagree with it because the person is from a different camp. Instead, I try to help them to complete it or work out the kinks in it.

Also, I don't have the anger that some people here have. Some people here just seem to want to debate endlessly and fight constantly. I'm not an angry person. I don't hate whole groups of people and I never will. I think this is the main reason why I have conflicts here.