Black People : Where'd the bailout money go?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Keita Kenyatta, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382

2. excel10k

excel10k Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8

If you woke up in Obama's shoes on November 5, 2008 what specific acts would you have done differently to improve conditions for Black Americans as well as America as a whole?

Who would you appoint to the various positions you dissagree with Obamas appointments on?

What would be the overall goals of your administration?

What would you want to be considered as the legacy of your administration?

Considering the reality that you did no wake up in Obama's shoes on November 5th, what course of action should black people take in reference to your suggestion that we "Wake up"? What tangible actions would demonstrate a manifestation of our "awakened" state?

You mentioned that we are "thinking and moving like everything is going to be ok", therefore my question above is asking what would be considered "moving" like things are NOT going to be "ok"?

3. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    that's

it right there

lol

HELLO!

4. Fine1952

Fine1952 Happy Winter Solstice MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,782
    Not sure where the money is...

just know it will never seriously benefit the taxpayers whose pockets were stripped to finance this bogus pre-planned event...the United Snakes of AmeriKKKa has been in serious debt since 9/23/05. And now all of a sudden everything is "set" to collapse, what a bunch of hooey-poo.

Great post, KK:10900:

5. Jahari Kavi

Jahari Kavi Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Self Development
    Ratings:
    +523
    according to Bernanke making the plan transparent would only cause problems..............yeah it would cause problems for the banks, because normal every day people would realize that the money in no way is going to help them out.........

I know this question wasn't directed at me, but it is a good one that's worth an answer. I realize that there are different ways to combat racism and that we all will probably never agree on "one" solution. With that being said if you are going to vote I just ask that you make sure that you're politically informed when you cast your ballot. I think everyone (not just black folks) should do this. That in itself is somewhat of a mental revolution that could initiate some change in the United States political structure.

6. excel10k

excel10k Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8
    No, it wasn't but your response is welcome and appreciated.

Insomuch as "fighting racism", I don't know of anything else that can be done. I think racism will always exist. From a political perspective, I can think of no new laws that can or should be passed that would generally "fight racism". Therefore, when someone encourages us to "wake up" concerning the political process, I wonder what exactly is meant by that. I understand that we should be informed and realize that politicians are not coming to save us, but where does it leave us once we "wake up" to this fact?

In my mind, it leaves us with the task of identifying, quantifying, and solving our own problems with or without help from government or politicians.

To me, racism is such an ambiguous enemy. Sure it exist, sure it can hinder and even hurt, but unless it specifically stops me from being what I want to be or doing what I want to do I have to fight the enemy I can identify as the direct cause of my failure. Oftentimes, I see that enemy in the mirror.

Now, back to my specific question(s), When I stand critical of someone, I think it is incumbant upon me to have an alternative to the ideas I am critical of. In the case of the OP, he is critical of Obamas appointments and political direction. I respect that he is politically informed. I believe him to be very informed. Therefore, if he is criticizing Obama's choices and direction, I ask what would he do? his objectives, etc.

Without white support, a black candidate cannot win. So, at this point, the only thing we can do is say "If you woke up in Obama's shoes, what would you do?" Obviously an "Afrocentric" black person cannot win the presidency, so I ask, in a perfect world an Afrocentric black person won and Woke up on those shoes. WHAT NEXT? WHAT DO WE DO? WHAT LAWS ARE NEEDED? WHAT GOALS, OBJECTIVES, COURSES OF ACTION?

I don't think we need to agree on "How" we fight racism or have "One solution", but we absolutely need to know where the goal line is, how to know when we have passed it, and a measurable way to gage results of the various tactics we employ.

7. Jahari Kavi

United States
    Self Development
    Ratings:
    +523
    thanks for responding.

Well I can't speak for Keita, but one thing that I would do is to not appoint people with histories of mistakes and corruption. I mentioned in another thread that not all politicians are "bad" people or corrupt. There have been and there still are certain political figures, experts, analyst, etc. that bring good ideas to the table. I see all these stimulus packages being given out to "boost" the economy, yet I'm not seeing any of these people in power developing strategies to end a war that is killing the U.S. economy everyday (not to mention people as well). Instead of using trillions of dollars to fund wars why not use it to improve our education system (which is horrible compared to other countries), developing programs that keep our people out of prison so that they too can be productive citizens, etc. These aren't well detailed plans and I'll be the first to say that being president of any country isn't an easy task, but there are a lot of simple solutions that could change the direction of the United States.

Like you mentioned it's something that will never happen, which makes me question is it even possible for African Americans to ever really be truely "free" in America? If the answer to that is "no," then what is next best option?

8. Prizmm

Prizmm Well-Known Member MEMBER

Becoming Universal
    Ratings:
    +22
    :bullseye:
    :bullseye: I 'see' what you have referenced in your post. You have, as has always been your pattern illuminated if only for a fleeting moment the sad truth of our condition.
    If the answers we seek lie in me, doing me, you doing you, its a wrap!
    If I could turn my back on the black legions behind me that are going to be confronted with this racist/supremacist madness I'd be on the beach, and off the clock.
    I can't do it!
    I recognized decades ago that I could have material success and all the trappings. The option to grab the gold by drugging my people was nixed by yours truly, just as surely as I deep sixed the notion of black professionals who could play the role model.
    I have met many of these 'role models' in my time and the one sure connection with each of them is their undying advice as to how to overcome racism, while simultaneously having their heads rubbed by the white supremacist. It is always for these type, black, shortcomings that retard our development....includes the usual advice "look at me, do what I do and you too can be"... "a happy, successful" VOR! Bull****!
    Where one could once look to find an engaging hand or kindred spirit, it has become more of the Black, Horatio Alger nonsense.
    A local black DA in the immediate vicinity a few weeks ago suggested to me that black boys simply need to stop doing those things that place them on the radar for law enforcement; this comment was preceded by an enforcement official who informed those in attendance of the difference between a policy and an ordinance. An ordinance that outlaws groups of black boys 'mingling' is the result of community sentiment against having groups of black boys mingling. Usually for no other reason than white folk don't want groups of black boys mingling. Propose stopping this to the common council, and upon voting, abbra cadabrra, the suggestion becomes an ordinance, which then becomes law. That the genesis of said law is racist or negative means nothing.
    So, whether, related, or just friends, black boys in groups of two or more are a problem for whites. I don't know about many of you here but I have actually seen groups of black boys hanging out who were not engaged in illegal activity. (UNHEARD OF) Yet they are criminalized, guilty of living in Black. I agree wholeheartedly with your review as to why Obama should be suspect, and as I look at the cabinet I am reminded that change sure looks the same! Peace! Great post Brother Keita, it warms my heart to see you are about it!

9. Jahari Kavi

United States
    Self Development
    Ratings:
    +523
    I agree. I was watching some program a few months back and there was a "successful" black man discussing how he got through to kids. He and other black men with careers stopped by a classroom full of young black boys to give them advice. The first thing they did was roll all their cars around to the front of the school for all the young boys to see. Their message in a nutshell was that "you can get these nice materialistic items if you follow my lead." I think their intentions were good, but I don't think they realized that they were still trying to reach these boys using shallow materialism. I do believe financial success is a "part" of success, but it seems that we limit ourselves when we automatically associate success with only monetary gains.

10. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Brotha Malcolm X, Garvey, and our Ancestors and Warriors who refused to settle for failure answered this question over, and over, and over again - but because we don't want to listen and are far too scared and fearful when it comes to dealing with America for who and what it is, so-called "African Americans" will never be free!

(Attack the Message, and not the Messenger!)

KWABENA