Black People : Where Is The Line Between Tolerance and Acceptance?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, May 7, 2002.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,683
    Hey ClarKint !!! :)

Where does tolerance and acceptance of another's life choices meet? For example, am I being tolerant if I don't call my neighbor a "******" every time I see him, even though I am thinking it? Please understand, I chose the derogatory term above, for the sake of this discussion. I don't use it to refer to anyone.

In order to be tolerant, must I embrace their lifestyle or simply recognize that they have the choice to live it and I have no right to be critical of it?

Do I have a right to be critical of it? I mean, everything we've been taught (usually via the bible) allows us to be very critical of such behavior.

It seems to be a very thin line between tolerating something and being accepting of it. Perhaps folk are less tolerant because they're afraid it may look like they accept / condone the behavior.

Where's the line?

:heart:

Destee

2. Kebah

Kebah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Work
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Destee, nice meeting you!

I think when an individual doesn't know the finer points of debate, ie, don't have there info together, they become "tolerant". Those individuals tend to go along with the masses because of ignorance, not sure of views, lack of info, or their loved one's, whom are "gay", causes their views to somehow change.

Calling a person ANY name (and I'm not saying I agree) doesn't mean one "tolerates" or is intolerant of their lifestyle. I think when we attempt to forcefully alter said behavior is when the intolerace sets in.

We can live with others without being tolerant of anything they do, it's called respect.

Being Critical is not a bad thing, if done respectfully.

Coming in one's home with certain aspects of unacceptible behavior doesn't need to be tolerated. Why? It's your home, and they must respect such.

Respecting someones lifestyle simply means unuse of force. We live in a democracy, and that must be protected no matter what we we're taught.

I was never taught to force my religious views on anyone. Just present your views, respect their's, and move on. THAT'S what tolerance is, and it has nothing to do with being in agreement.

If my principles and morals are intacked after having presented anything to anyone, I've really lost.....nothing.

Again, nice meeting you,

kebah

3. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    I believe we draw the line where God draws it and then crossover it with the love of God. In this world, we learn to be tolerant and so we must be. Though, I personally may not except the lifestyle for myself, I must as the bible so commands...love. The bible states that God will judge all things.
    Seeing that I have enuff junk in my own life, I don't have time to go around preaching against sodomy, if I am fornicating or committing adultery.

People are some funny folks. Many of the people who dis gay people for their sexual behaviors, are fornicators themselves.
    Fornication (sex outside of marriage) is just as sinful in God's eyes. Just because most are committing this sin, it doesn't mean that God has decided it is okay to fornicate after all. There are more scriptures in the bible dealing with this sin, than there are on homosexuality...go figure. I've decided to draw the line where love begins. This is in fact, the safest starting point for me. Love
    covers a multitude of my own sin. Thank you Jesus!

Joyce

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,683
    Hey Kebah ... nice meeting you too :) I do agree that respect is a keyword here. Great points you've made, thanks for joining in.

Joyce ... Sista Gurl Sista Gurl Sista Gurl ... now you know you dun said a mouthful chile!!! Folk are quick to judge others and their behavior, knowing all the time that if their sin were put under a light ... they couldn't open their mouth 'bout nuth'n nobody else is doin. I'm with you, God has loved me, not forsaken me, and kept me in perfect peace ... in spite of all my shortcomings ... I simply aint got no room to judge anyone else. Yes Yes Yes Thank You Jesus! :angel1:

:heart:

Destee

5. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    Alrighty Then!!! :jumping:
    Self-righteousness is one thang that I struggled much with at one time. When I learned that my "self-righteousness" was as filthy rags to God, I humbled myself...realizing, I too, fall short of the Glory of God, Yes, I follow Him, but sometimes I get tripped up. One thang I am surely learning though...the more I fall in love with Him...the less I fall. This simple yet profound state is and always will be, my guideline for life.

Read what Isaiah the prophet wrote and note he said "we" ...not "you". What a powerful yet humble man he was.

Isaiah 64:6
    But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

What truth...written in the beauty of poetry. This is why Christ came. He made me the righteousness of God by giving me HIS righteousness. Thus, I must...do away with mine.

Gurl let me shut up in heah! I dun gone ta preachin'.

Jamberin's of a Jesus fanatic :spinn:

Yo sista,

Joyce

6. Kebah

Kebah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Work
    Ratings:
    +1
    :D

kebah

7. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    "Tolerance" denotes a "permissive," "lenient" and "charitable" attitude towards something.

"Acceptance" is agreement and favor and consent and approval towards something.

So, I'd liken it unto a parent being "tolerant" and "indulging" of a decision their child makes in their lives but not necessarily "approving" of that child's choice.

But, it is incumbent upon each of us to differentiate the two by not joining our "disagreement" to prejudice.

8. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382

9. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    Thank you, Joyce; you've reminded me, whereas I was forgetting as I go through troubles of discouragement. You've helped to encourage me but a bit more.

In order to be tolerant, you only need recognize that its not within your power to manually handle something in any way you would, but won't or cannot. No, you don't need to embrace a person's lifestyle to be tolerant, and recognizing they have a choice to live it does not mean you have no right to be critical of it. That's a choice one has, also. To be critical of it doesn't mean you aren't tolerating it, but just means you're giving voice against it, normally to show your tolerance isn't agreeing nor condoning.

To be tolerant of sin going on in this world is not embracing it but recognizing everyone has their choice; however, that does not cease me from being critical of sin, even when with myself, as I do have a choice not to agree with it.

Acceptance is usually to be embracing of something and not seeing it as something out of the usual nor as an unwelcome deviation, but rather the norm, in your own life.

Accepting the Holy Son as savior is embracing His Way. Accepting a person who's done deplorable things, but has repented, as a brother or sister is embracing them as part of myself also, not a deviation to the body of the Holy Son.

I don't believe the line is too thin, but do recognize when people sort of interchange tolerant and accepting.

That's my take on it. :)