Black People : Where Is The Discussion?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Thandiwe, Sep 24, 2001.

1. Thandiwe

Thandiwe Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm just wondering why there isn't more discussion on this board. i know there are quite a few regular visitors, destee family here.

i'm always open and seek other people opinion, knowledge, experiences. so often i'm wondering why there are only a few, maybe 5 peole who discuss other topics besides poetry. no offense to poetry, of course.

but even with the tradegy of two weeks ago, i thought there would be more discussion happening here.

is it that we are afraid to disagree? or are yall afraid of kemetry? LOL!

but other than Kemetry, Amun, Shaneak, Destee, Cocoabutterskyn, Epiphany and a few others, i don't see many other people contributing. i have invited several people here because i like the vibe. but couldn't there be a little more life away from the poetry board?

2. Thandiwe

Ratings:
    +2
    okay then, i guess i'll talk to myself...

anybody listening

i have visited the chatroom a few times during the day. why are't these people participting in this forum. the names i see there are not the names of the people who frequently post on this board.

i asked the chatroom members all several occasion why they don't post here. I never really get an answer, but i do get asked if i work for destee. :)

3. shaneak

shaneak Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Support engineer
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thandiwe!!! So supportive...

I do agree though.. I guess some aren't interested.. and plus some aren't that computer literate and only go with what they know. So they don't explore and look further into the site like some of us do. Also... they may not be interested in our topics of discussion... :x: Just wanted you to know that I was listening... :x:

4. epiphany

epiphany Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +40
    I'm Listening.....

Too Thandie.......don't be discouraged. I just came to this site, through the invite of my sister (cocobutterskyn). I enjoy discussions, especially if I can learn from them or get informative opinions. It took me a minute to find my way here, but I spend, sometimes a hour or two just reading. Usually the post I answer to, are ones that I can relate to, ones I think I can add an opinon on and if I have a question I might wonder about I will add a new thread. If I don't post its usually that I find it more rewarding if I just read.....but thats just me. One thing tho is, I would like to applaud you and Shaneak for supporting my post and others, and having the courage to voice your opinion.

Epiphany :heart:

5. Thandiwe

Ratings:
    +2
    Ohhhh Company!

Thanks for coming ladies! So Epiphany, that's how you discovered destee.com. I'm glad to have to chance to converse with you all. As you know, Cocoa and I know how to handle Kemetstry. LOL! ;)

It think alot of time, people don't post because many times, you have to defend your position instead of people valuing the another opinion or experience you share. I'm not talking about here necessarily, but i have seen it on other sites.

And what do you mean people don't like our topic.?! :) I know there are concerns in our community that has to affect us all. Either us personally, a relative, and someone we know.

I just know there is more we can talk and share here.

So let's keep the discussion going!!!

Peace and love!

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hi Thandiwe, Shaneak and Epiphany!!!

What a great topic, thanks Thandiwe. (I would have posted it myself but folk would start asking if I work for Destee ... hehehe).

Of course we've all heard the saying "if you build it, they will come" and for the most part, God has blessed in that regard. People do come, but how do we get them to participate more after arriving? I'd love to know the answer to this question. I think in general, some folk are slower to get involved, reveal their thoughts to virtual strangers, perhaps even afraid that they will be judged based on a few words posted to a discussion forum. For those, all we can do is continue as we have, welcoming all views and opinions. As each one continues to visit and read, they will see the genuine affection we have for all who participate here.

Thank goodness we have the Thandiwe's, Shaneak's and Epiphany's of the world!! Oh yeah, and the Kemetstry's too ... hehehe. For it is you all and many others I've not named (WisdomSeed, Nexis, Dnommo, Coco, Amun-Ra, MotherEarth, EZBRO, etc.) that contribute to and keep the discussions lively.

As you noted Thandiwe, chatters are chatters and discussion forum folk are discussion forum folk. Some enjoy one venue over the other and therefore participate where they're comfortable. I think too that poets are poets. We have so many poets contributing in those forums and for the most part, that's where they stay. Of course there are those that cross the line if you will, choosing to take part in all things.

One thing that surprises me regarding the participation here, is that there are not more web site owners promoting their sites in that forum. The same goes for small business owners in our community. With so many folk meeting here from all around the country (and world), it seems a perfect opportunity to put their services and business in front of us, yet it's usually very quiet over there.

I think too that, if we consider both quality and quantity, we can consider ourselves blessed. We could have a forum that has a lot of participation, foolish posts, nothing substantive or we could have a few posts with dialogue meant to inform, uplift, encourage and teach.

I must admit, I'm not able to participate as much as I'd like. I don't get a chance to respond to the posts like I did at the beginning, when there was just a couple of us. I used to respond to every post (including all poetry), now I am doing good to welcome the new folk that join us.

Am I rambling? :)

Thank you all for being a part of this forum, making contributions like you do. A special thanks to you Thandiwe for all the folk you've invited to join us. Epiphany, I didn't know that Coco told you about us! <smiling at Coco>.

If you have suggestions (contests, prizes, anything) on how to make it better, get more folk to share their wealth of wisdom with us, I'd love to hear.

Again, thanks yall!

Destee

ps ... Thandiwe I would have PAID MONEY to be in on the chat between you and Kemetstry. I remember reading a reference to it on one of the posts and thought ... danggggg ... I missed that???!!!!!! It's nice to see someone, anyone, able to go word for word with Kemetstry, toe to toe ... and beat him :lol: (I read you won that bout ...right ... hehehe). More than one of his threads has made me bow out early ... whew ... :) ... my hat's off to ya Sis!

7. Kitana

Kitana Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Thandi

I am one of those who often looked but did not participate....then the other day I came in and posted a reply to the relationship thread stated by Kem...you gotta admit, doin battle with him is like throwin yourself into the fire...lol...but I came out of it relatively unscathed...I started replying also because I realise at the end of the day what we say is just an opinion and not personal and at the end of the day any differences stay here on the board...but I also find that giving your opinion and receiving replies to it, not only broadens your outlook on a subject but if challenged, urges you to find out more about it...so I for one, hope I can participate more in the discussions started from now on....

K

8. cocobutterskyn

cocobutterskyn Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Spreading Joy.... need some?
    Ratings:
    +221
    Good Morning, Ladies

Thandiwe.. I think this was a very important topic for many reason. Not only was an opportunity for you have someone to talk to and have them listen to you...lol....but it give those who may read it the opportunity to step in to discussion forum. It's like an open invitation. Using my experience, I was a little shy to get involved in a discussion, even to reply to poetry postings when I first arrived. It's the warm invitation I received like you have presented here, that helped in my participating. I'm sure more will follow. Like you I've told many about this site. I was so impressed when I viewed the kinship here and the willingness to inform and involve new comers. I don't want to give the empression that everything here is honky-dory, I've observed some disagreements and misunderstandings, which are apart of life, but for the most part Destee is a mature and respectful community.
    I love the way you continued to come and encourage members to get more involved in discussions and I'm sure your pleasant approach will have them participating in no time. Sometimes bullheadness works also, Kemetstry has proven that. :D

Epiphany....I'm glad to see you're enjoying yourself here. I had no doubt you wouldn't.....It's nice having my sister around. Love you:love:

Shaneak....I love the way you throw yourself right in the thick of things. The way you offer your opinion and your willingness to receive others. You speak a lot of your age, but we all were that age at onetime and I feel you are doing just fine. Wisdom comes with experience and knowledge and you seem to have no problem receiving them. Keep doing what you do. :heart:

Destee..... I think you are great! I've been to many poetry/discussion sites and yours is the most maturest I've seen. There is such a wonderful vibe here. The word family is used a lot at difference sites, but it is not only used here it is felt here. That's what I love so much here. If we could take Destee's and spread it all over the world.....it would be a better place. The way you handle the unruly visitors or even family member with respect is empressive. Dealing with people with respect and good tact is the key to keeping the peace and you've cornered the market on both. Much Love:heart:

Kitana....You are a wonderful and refreshing addition to the family. I've read your poetry, replies to them and replies to discussions, they are flowing with wisdom....Oh! I love your name:)

Well, I guess I've beat the keyboard enough this morning. I better get to work...traffic gets to be a mess after 6a....Have a nice day ladies.:)

Madd Sistahly Love:heart:
    CCBSKYN

9. epiphany

epiphany Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +40
    Lol...........thats funny......

See........you have more company, bust out the cheese and ********.....lol. I love your sense of humor. Yes, I have watched your confrontation skills
    and you do very well handling yourself. I have first hand experience with Co co's opinions, many times I have had to cover her mouth and pull her from the
    fray of an emotionally charged conversation...lol., but I admire that about her. I think you confused Shaneak's remark about people not liking the topics, with being mine. I agree, that we as African Americans have a lot to discuss about what is happening in our communities. I touch on a lot of those subjects in my poetry. I believe that a lot of our problems come as a direct result of not communicating
    and not being knowledgeable about our history and
    passing that information to each other and to our children. So they can be proud of where they came from and know what it took to get here. That is one of the things I love so much about being African American is our accomplishments, our talent, courage
    and the strength we have even now to rise above the negative and I am in complete awe of what our ancestors endured, you can't help but bow in respect.
    I don't feel a lot of our children are feelin that, especially the young black men. I am also glad we had a chance to converse and I'm sure we will come together in many other threads with an opinion
    that will uplift and nourish the mind......

Destee, I also appreciate your voice and the opportunity to share our talents and discover a little more about enpowering ourselves. I can see you work hard to bring a site that inspires talent, dignity, and a togetherness that is the perfect representation of what an African American family should be about.....much props to you. I have been blessed being a part of it.
    Coco, mentioned it several times, it had been a while since I had written any poetry, so she insisted and always spoke highly of the inspiration she had coming here, so I decided to come and I have been writing poetry every since.......lol.

Let's keep it going, Thandie, Shaneak, Kitana and Destee, Coco..............

Epiphany:heart:

10. Thandiwe

Ratings:
    +2
    Hotdammmn! Look who's here!

peace and love destee (nice to know i was missed), shaneak, epiphany, kitana, kemetstry and er'body else just reading. ;)

i didn't mean to leave yall hangin'! :)

i changed isp and not having the best of luck with the change.

it's nice to see all those who showed up! and kemetstry, ain't nobody afraid of you. i bet you're really a sweetheart, despite all that macho talk! you need strong ladies like us to keep you interested!

i forgot to acknowledge nexis in my shoutout. he is always ready for a conversation!

now let me say this, i'm really a simple person. i love to talk, talk schit, laugh (even at myself) and meet new people.

so let's get this party started! let's get it started quickly!!!

~~~~~~~~~

so tell me what are your interests? what do you do when you ain't on destee?!