Black People : Where are the #Oscars So White Voices

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Al D, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Al D

Al D We become that which we repeatedly do.. PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Retired Business Owner
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I don't know if it's just me but I have noticed an absence of the African/Black celebrities voice or presence relating to the two despicable recent murders of AA men by law enforcement..Where are the Chris Rocks, Jada Pinkett & Will Smith as well as many others. Where are the Ice Cubes, Ice Teas, Dr. Dre 's Snoop Dogs and so many others. Is straight outta Compton straight outta sight? Where are the AA athletes, entertainers and other wealthy and influential AA people who are in a position to use their success as a platform to speak out and help to unify and galvanize folks who stand against police brutality and injustice?
    Have we become that disconnected from each other that the plight of the average African/Black american today has become a non interest of those who have made it? Have they forgotten that their success today is because of the activists of years past who had made their voices heard and used their success as a platform to address the issues that plagued us then and to a large extent, still do now...
    I don't know, maybe it's just me... Correct me if I'm wrong....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    I love that you brought this up, Bro. AI D!! I hadn't thought of this but now that you mention it, WTH?

I think Snoop did something though...let me see if I can find it and I'll post.

3. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    Snoop Dogg, The Game peacefully gather with demonstrators outside LAPD headquarters

http://abc7.com/news/demonstrators-gather-outside-lapd-during-cadet-graduation-ceremony/1419008/

Officers wearing black arm bands in honor of the fallen police officers.

Not sure of what I think about Snoop's message about matching hate with love. How is that working for us so far? And I'm not trying to be facetious, just stating that this is always what Black people are told to do as though it's expected for us to tell a murderer they are forgiven for taking the life of our loved ones. I don't know, maybe my spirit operates on a baser level because that seems unhealthy to me.

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    I think they are sort of bound by the rules of the game they are playing.

If they want to keep living the life that comes with it.

:heart:

Destee

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Al D

United States
    Retired Business Owner
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Most things we do in life today and where we are boils down to choice. People choose to speak out or people choose to be silent.. If people choose to be silent and aren't willing to risk anything then they sure as heck can't expect anything. By choosing to be silent they place themselves at the mercy of others and will always be a slave to the system.. Liberation is not free...No risk, No reward. I don't believe that they are bound by the rules as much as they choose to be bound by them..

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686

Right ... i do agree, it is a choice.

If they want benefit of the luxuries being quiet affords, they say nothing.

If they do not care about those luxuries, are willing to sacrifice them, they speak up.

It appears most want benefit of the luxuries, so quiet is what they choose.

Destee

7. Al D

United States
    Retired Business Owner
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Sad and disheartening for some but more than likely true...

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686

Yes, it is sad, but none of it is new.

Black Men being killed at the system's whim, is not new.

Police (historically the kkk) killing black men and never having any consequence for it, is not new.

Some black people being given a few extra pieces of bread to be quiet - is not new either.

None of it is new - and it has always been sad.

Love You!

Destee

• Agree Agree x 1
    • True True x 1
    • List
  9. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    Before the Oscars, Jada Pinkett Smith spoke out at length using Youtube as her platform and called for a mass boycott of them.

Jessie Williams spoke out during the recent BET awards in a powerful way...his message hit right to the core of racism in the U.S. and had everybody talking.

You can't play by someone else's rules and expect anything to change. Revolutionary movements are rule breakers.

Can't be pro-Black one day when you're in an industry that excludes you and silent the next when a country is killing you.

This is a good reason to make this part of a Black people's strategy . . . like politicians, we should monitor celebrities and boycott those that are afraid to speak out for us, which means they are against us. Stop paying them by supporting their movies.

Where is Tyler Perry, Oprah and Iyanla VanZant? Aren't they the "gurus" of the Black community or is that just us lifting them up on a pedastal without them earning being there? Where are the Black preachers of the mega-churches? :bell:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Al D

United States
    Retired Business Owner
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Yeah we have been matching the hate with love for centuries. Nothing wrong with the love but I feel that the love has be given to ourselves and each other first and foremost. Maybe if we loved ourselves as much as we love our enemy we can extricate ourselves from this umbilical cord attached to the white man and purge the poison...Meanwhile we could stand up and fight right...

• Like Like x 2
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List