Black Entertainment : Where are the "DarkSkinned Sisters?"

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Heartbeat, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Heartbeat

Heartbeat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +86
    Where are the dark-skinned sisters? Am I the only one who thinks light-skinned sisters are the only ones getting any play in Music videos, print ads, tv commercials, sit coms, etc. etc. It seems that white women are trying to get a few shades darker and black women are trying to get a few shades lighter. Both trying to reach that light bronz color the media seems to be so attached to. I did a survey in the mall recently where I watched several young sisters I'd say 16-30 years old buy cosmetics. I asked the person behind the counter what they were mostly buying, she answered saying it was foundation. I asked "to make their skin lighter?" she said yes. I was through for the day..went home to watch the travel channel hoping there was a feature on about africa (kidding). My point is..IS BLACK STILL BEAUTIFUL???

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    yeap! ya right man coz i've sit back and watch all dis take place
    dat bronz color tone or should i say bleached skin done played
    out .........BLACK is Beautiful and sweeter too.....hummmm!
    now i wonder if this what it's all about da skin tone??

3. N2urSoul

N2urSoul Well-Known Member MEMBER

Director, Community Employment Strategies
    Ratings:
    +1
    BE

Although I'm one of the "light skinned" sistahs... I would like to attempt to try & respond to your question...

Yes, I do believe Black is still beautiful!!! I believe that all shades worn by women of color are very tantilizing & beautiful to say the least...

However, one comment that you typed I found very peculiar. Your statement about the conversation you had with the person behind the make-up counter at the mall ... sounded a bit "out there"... or maybe it was that which I considered to be 'out there' after reading the answer/response that you posted from what was stated by the person behind the make-up counter...

Your question was: "What were the ladies mostly buying"

Make-Up Counter Clerk said: "Foundation"

Your response was: "to make there skin lighter?"

Make-Up Counter Clerk said: "Yes"

I, myself, use foundation from time to time, and have several sisters, aunts, nieces, and friends who do the same, however, my own personal reasoning for wearing foundation is to help to even my already light - skin tone, especially when I might be trying to cover up a blemish or two ... :eek:

... and in many cases those who are purchasing a 'lighter than their own skin color' as a foundation would look like truly painted clowns....?:lol: (why ever would they do this :confused:

In some cases I've had friends who for the first time had purchased/used foundation that did not match their skin tone/type & it would give them either an "ash" color, or a too "orange" look. Again, in those instances they really looked foolish, and needed a friend to point that out to them, because possibly the person at the make-up counter did not know what they were selling at all... In other instances those who had purchased the wrong foundation sometimes had too oily or too dry of a face after applying the make-up ~ hence, the make-up did not serve them well at all. :eeek:

:lol: My point is that I've not known anyone that deliberately would purchase make-up/cover-up foundation to "lighten themselves up from their natural color"??? Maybe that person at the counter should return to cosmetology school if he/she is selling the wrong products to people just to make a sell.

One point though... I have heard of stars (such as Michael Jackson, Patti LaBelle, Lil' Kim, Stephanie Mills, & several others who have had their skinned lightened (not by cosmetic foundations) but by some form of cosmetic surgery.... this of course would most likely be as expensive as getting a "boob-job"??? :lol:

I don't totally agree with your overall question because I too have seen countless advertisements that come across my television with various shades of Black women.... all glowing in their natural skin tones (with a variety of shades). This is also true in magazine ads too. Now I'm not saying that it may not exist, because that would be 'naive' of me, however I have not totally noticed that which you are mentioning unless you are referring to a specific industry such as "music"??

Much love...
    :) N2

4. N2urSoul

Ratings:
    +1
  5. Heartbeat

Heartbeat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +86
    I began thinking about this when I noticed the older sister in the Damon Wayans sit-com is a light skinned sister. The original older sister on this show was a dark skinned sister. The Wil Smith show "Prince of Bel-Air" had the original aunt a dark skinned sister who was replaced by a light skinned sister. After reading your response I looked through several fashion magazines and the large majority of ads that showed black women were black women who were light skinned.
    Next time I'm in that mall I'll tell ol' girl to go back to school :) I'm not a make-up expert (neither is she evidently) I just posted what she said. I've learned much over the years about many things by taking these little unscientific surveys, but it looks like this one resulted in bad info. Thanks for explaining. Black is beautiful in any shade, however, I do be;ieve the main stream media favors black women who are light skinned.
    Say it ain so Patti!!!

6. N2urSoul

Ratings:
    +1
    :lol: :lol:

BE .... (say it ain so Patti) :lol: funny!!

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    lmao @ HEARTBEAT !! da Lena Horne divisional quest say it ain't so.

8. beansoupcyntst

beansoupcyntst New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I ran across this article that highlights the point about the absence of dark skinned sisters in videos. **** shame.
    beansoupscientist
    http://www.beansouptimes.com

WHAT COLOR IS BLACK LOVE?

By M.G. Little

Have you seen the lyrics to the hottest Black love song of the year? Here they are:

"Woman, my love for you
    is deep as can be.
    And I know my love is real
    'cause you're lighter than me."

Although these lyrics are made up, that is the message delivered by too many Black music videos. A study conducted by the Center on Blacks and the Media shows that the makers of Black romantic music videos overwhelmingly cast a female lead character who is lighter in skin color than the male lead character.

The Center on Blacks and the Media is an independent, non-profit group that monitors the Black image in the media. It sought to find out whether the makers of these videos most often cast women who are lighter than the men, or men who are lighter than the women, or whether there is an equal range of colors among the lead characters.

The study looked at 46 music videos aired on cable TV. The two people in the lead couple in each were judged only in comparison to each other, not some outside standard. The results:

Woman Lighter-Man Darker: 28
    Man Lighter-Woman Darker: 4
    Colors Close (most with the woman slightly lighter): 13
    Colors Unclear: 1

Said Yemi Toure, who edited this study for the Center: "No matter how light the male lead was, the female lead was most often lighter. No matter whether the lead singer was the male or the female, the female was most often lighter. No matter whether the female had the most screen time or hardly any at all, she was lighter."

The only four videos with the female darker were "Bring Back Your Love," produced by Andreas Berard; "Can't Let Go," produced by Marc Smerling; "Iggin' Me," produced by Bille Woodruff; and "Love Scene," produced by Rubin Whitmore II and Eric Haywood, Toure reports.

This sad state of affairs is an insult to all. The producers and directors of these videos should know better. In addition, it is a psychological blow to young, dark-skinned females watching these videos - - they are almost never shown. Don't they deserve to be shown in loving situations? What color is Black love?

This is a subtle and not-so-subtle perpetuation of the white skin privilege to young people through a powerful medium. With the world approaching the 21st Century, media makers should not be doing this. They may not have known that there is an overall pattern to the videos. (Hopefully, they do now.) But way back when casting decisions are made, they should be making sure that there is a fair representation of all Black folks.

9. N2urSoul

Ratings:
    +1
    Great informational research and reference material.....

This is enlightening!!

Thank you for this tid-bit of knowledge!!

N2 :)

10. LovelyGoldenOne

LovelyGoldenOne Well-Known Member MEMBER

College Student, Bookstore Clerk
    Ratings:
    +16
    well i'm a dark skinned sista and i used to hate my skin sooooo much. but as i got older i learned to love my skin. i always get compliments on my complexion, but i notice that most guys go for lighter girls, or red bones...as we call them in the south. sometimes when i got out with my girlfriends i get so mad when guys say i look good to be darkskinned. am i supposed to be ugly if i'm dark? that is something i will never understand...but i guess it's not something that is meant to understand...