Black Entertainment : Where are the "DarkSkinned Sisters?"

Heartbeat

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jan 30, 2001
Where are the dark-skinned sisters? Am I the only one who thinks light-skinned sisters are the only ones getting any play in Music videos, print ads, tv commercials, sit coms, etc. etc. It seems that white women are trying to get a few shades darker and black women are trying to get a few shades lighter. Both trying to reach that light bronz color the media seems to be so attached to. I did a survey in the mall recently where I watched several young sisters I'd say 16-30 years old buy cosmetics. I asked the person behind the counter what they were mostly buying, she answered saying it was foundation. I asked "to make their skin lighter?" she said yes. I was through for the day..went home to watch the travel channel hoping there was a feature on about africa (kidding). My point is..IS BLACK STILL BEAUTIFUL???

yeap! ya right man coz i've sit back and watch all dis take place
dat bronz color tone or should i say bleached skin done played
out .........BLACK is Beautiful and sweeter too.....hummmm!
now i wonder if this what it's all about da skin tone??

BE

Although I'm one of the "light skinned" sistahs... I would like to attempt to try & respond to your question...

Yes, I do believe Black is still beautiful!!! I believe that all shades worn by women of color are very tantilizing & beautiful to say the least...

However, one comment that you typed I found very peculiar. Your statement about the conversation you had with the person behind the make-up counter at the mall ... sounded a bit "out there"... or maybe it was that which I considered to be 'out there' after reading the answer/response that you posted from what was stated by the person behind the make-up counter...

Your question was: "What were the ladies mostly buying"

Make-Up Counter Clerk said: "Foundation"

Your response was: "to make there skin lighter?"

Make-Up Counter Clerk said: "Yes"

I, myself, use foundation from time to time, and have several sisters, aunts, nieces, and friends who do the same, however, my own personal reasoning for wearing foundation is to help to even my already light - skin tone, especially when I might be trying to cover up a blemish or two ... :eek:

... and in many cases those who are purchasing a 'lighter than their own skin color' as a foundation would look like truly painted clowns....?:lol: (why ever would they do this :confused:

In some cases I've had friends who for the first time had purchased/used foundation that did not match their skin tone/type & it would give them either an "ash" color, or a too "orange" look. Again, in those instances they really looked foolish, and needed a friend to point that out to them, because possibly the person at the make-up counter did not know what they were selling at all... In other instances those who had purchased the wrong foundation sometimes had too oily or too dry of a face after applying the make-up ~ hence, the make-up did not serve them well at all. :eeek:

:lol: My point is that I've not known anyone that deliberately would purchase make-up/cover-up foundation to "lighten themselves up from their natural color"??? Maybe that person at the counter should return to cosmetology school if he/she is selling the wrong products to people just to make a sell.

One point though... I have heard of stars (such as Michael Jackson, Patti LaBelle, Lil' Kim, Stephanie Mills, & several others who have had their skinned lightened (not by cosmetic foundations) but by some form of cosmetic surgery.... this of course would most likely be as expensive as getting a "boob-job"??? :lol:

I don't totally agree with your overall question because I too have seen countless advertisements that come across my television with various shades of Black women.... all glowing in their natural skin tones (with a variety of shades). This is also true in magazine ads too. Now I'm not saying that it may not exist, because that would be 'naive' of me, however I have not totally noticed that which you are mentioning unless you are referring to a specific industry such as "music"??

Much love...
:) N2

I began thinking about this when I noticed the older sister in the Damon Wayans sit-com is a light skinned sister. The original older sister on this show was a dark skinned sister. The Wil Smith show "Prince of Bel-Air" had the original aunt a dark skinned sister who was replaced by a light skinned sister. After reading your response I looked through several fashion magazines and the large majority of ads that showed black women were black women who were light skinned.
Next time I'm in that mall I'll tell ol' girl to go back to school :) I'm not a make-up expert (neither is she evidently) I just posted what she said. I've learned much over the years about many things by taking these little unscientific surveys, but it looks like this one resulted in bad info. Thanks for explaining. Black is beautiful in any shade, however, I do be;ieve the main stream media favors black women who are light skinned.
Say it ain so Patti!!!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back