Black People : Where are the conscious Black Americans?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by The Burnt One, Aug 7, 2006.

1. The Burnt One

The Burnt One Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Adam Clayton Powell's axiom: "Harvard has ruined more negroes than bad whiskey."

I was excited about coming to America, until I got to America and realized that Black Americans have more contempt for me, an African Caribbean national, than does the white man.

After being snapped at on a few occasions by my own black brothers in the streets for simply asking a question, I then stopped asking directions from black brothers, and started going to the Whiteman. I seriously started to wonder if there were any conscious black Americans.

I asked an African America secretary, “Where can I find my physics professor office, and the woman was so loud and rude to me that I was shocked. When a white Asian looking woman attempted to show me where I could find the physics professor office, she then interrupted the white woman and said, let him find it for himself. Later in the day, after the shock wore off, I then returned to her office to find out why is it, that she was always so angry.

On another occasion, I gave a struggling black American some MatLab programming past exams and told him that all he had to do was study then, so that he could past the exam. This was his second or third attempt at it. I also told him that whatever help he needed, he could come to me.

This guy and I took Engineering physics together, so one day I ask him, based on my observation of the rude and despicable behavior of blacks on the NY subway, why is it that blacks were so rude. Before I could complete the sentence, I was angrily and verbally attacked by this fellow, who was repeating physics for the third time. He started to ask me what Caribbean blacks have every done or contributed to science and a whole bag of garbage, which somehow has not helped many blacks in America to become inventors in our modern times, a time when it is most greatly needed. Anyways, I just looked at the fellow, got up and walked away, and that was the last time I had a conversation with him. Not only did I get an A for this subject, but I also became a physics tutor. He later failed the subject at his third attempt.

I was also called the N word by a black guy, not a white man. I didn’t take to this too kindly. I believe that any black person who calls another black person the N word is sycophantic or has psychologically surrendered to social programming. I cannot understand why people who would like to be considered builders of great civilizations can use such a derogatory term as endearment or a form of identity. Something must be wrong with you people. Ignorance is strangling the black population in America.

If these ignorant and childish behaviors aren’t enough, what I find even more applauding is how Black Americans use clothing as an indication of social achievement. I use to love wearing my old track shoe of yester year to show that my live is not defined by the kind of shoe I wear. I believe that only people with very low self worth and expectation define themselves and others by the kind of shoe, pants, hairstyle or car one drives.

I seriously don’t think black Americas want to be free from their mental enslavement. I honestly think that when you complain, you are indicating that you want to be accepted and become more assimilated into the white culture. This is really what all your struggles are about. You see yourselves as victims, and as such are always complaining and blaming somebody for your deplorable state.

I will leave you all with a quote from Na’im Akbar, one of the few conscious black Americans.

” We cannot operate with the expectation that our true liberation can only come when Europeans people change their mentality. The elimination of white racism is not a necessary prerequisite for the liberation of the African mind. Black people cannot commit excessive energy to the effort to alter the attitudes and consciousness of white people with the assumption that this is the path to freedom.
    White racism is a fact of life and we must strategize solutions which are independent of its initial elimination.

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677

The Burnt One ... Hello and Welcome ... :wave:

Thanks for joining us and sharing your experiences and thoughts.

I'm sorry that you've had such negative interactions with "African Americans" but please remember that we are probably more worse off (in some regards) than any of our other Sisters and Brothers around the world ... due to the simple fact that we have grown up living with our captors. It would be very difficult for us to not manifest some of the ugliness and arrogance usually reserved for them. In addition, we've been so wounded as a people, so devastated and traumatized, it can't help but manifest itself.

I would like for you to know that it is not all of us. We are not all of the same mind or Spirit. For those of us that do know better, we must be as patient (as possible) with those who have yet to understand what has and is being done to us.

One thing i noticed in your writing above, is that you've somehow separated yourself from us. That you are not one of us. You talk of us as though you are not included in the group, as though you stand outside of it. Did i just read that wrong, or was that your intention?

While we are not all at the same levels of consciousness, there are many conscious Black Americans in this community.

I'm glad you've joined us and please make yourself at home, because you are.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

3. ibrahim

ibrahim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ghana
    Student
    Ratings:
    +122

I have MET a few Black Americans who are so NICE and WONDEFUL.

4. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Never forget what Institutionalization has done to us as a people - not only Institutionalization in general, but what type of it.

What we are exposed to is a system which is designed to keep us on a certain level of consciousness. The problem is - because of the impact of the [let me say] "dis's" and "ism's" we have been subjected to, a number of folks have been afraid to exceed the 'set' level of Consciousness.

To be more direct with my approach to this question - I would like to say that they (conscious ones) are out trying to do something in behalf of what they became so 'aware' of. As you know, one of the keys to being 'conscious' is knowing what is going on, finding out why it went down, then finding something to do about it.

As I conclude this post, I just want to say that they are around us and among us - we just may not recognize them!

KD

5. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace & welcome aboard Destee.com...........

I'm not sure If I am "concious", but I am definately not asleep!!

As Destee said, your statement sounds "far away"............would u mind expounding a bit more on your previous statements!

by the way interesting quote from Na'im Akbar......

peace

6. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Rude ain't got no color.......what did you think that everyone over here would love you and be nice to you just because...don't work that way......is each and every person where you're from nice and loving to you ? probably not....has nothing to do with conciousness more to do with hometraining......take it for what it's worth and don't sweat the small stuff

MississippiRed
    There are always 3 sides to every story Yo side My side and the Truth

MississippiRed

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Brother Mississippi ... i have heard like complaints from others, in addition to The Burnt One.

I've heard / read it from both sides, they don't like us, we don't like them ... with reasons and experiences documented.

One of our greatest errors against our own selves, is the way we treat each other.

Yes, we can take into account those folk who are just not gonna love you no matter what, but they should only account for a small percentage. We unfortunately, do way too many of our own people, the wrong way. Thinking the worst of them, and ultimately, ourselves. It's at epedimic proportion. We are killing each other daily.

This does speak to our level(s) of consciousness, or lack thereof.

I missed reading you ... welcome home.

:heart:

Destee

8. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Lead...Follow...Or Move Out The Way...

The Burnt One stated:Adam Clayton Powell's axiom: "Harvard has ruined more negroes than bad whiskey."

I was excited about coming to America, until I got to America and realized that Black Americans have more contempt for me, an African Caribbean national, than does the white man. Guess you haven't been around many whites to judge as you just did.

After being snapped at on a few occasions by my own black brothers in the streets for simply asking a question, I then stopped asking directions from black brothers, and started going to the Whiteman. You sound like you need a counscious whipping, the whiteman is NOT the be-all/end-all. I seriously started to wonder if there were any conscious black Americans. No offense, but this statement would NEVER flow from the mouth of a 'conscious' Black man. You are, aren't you?

I asked an African America secretary, “Where can I find my physics professor office, and the woman was so loud and rude to me that I was shocked. So you judge one bad experience with an African American, yet let the whiteman off the hook, just because he gave you directions without an 'attitude'...Hmmm When a white Asian looking woman attempted to show me where I could find the physics professor office, she then interrupted the white woman and said, let him find it for himself. Later in the day, after the shock wore off, I then returned to her office to find out why is it, that she was always so angry. Did you ever find out? Why?

On another occasion, I gave a struggling black American some MatLab programming past exams and told him that all he had to do was study then, so that he could past the exam. This was his second or third attempt at it. I also told him that whatever help he needed, he could come to me.

How saintly of you. Why don't you ever finish off your tales. Are you displaying your honorary deeds to us 'poor & deluded' African Americans?

This guy and I took Engineering physics together, so one day I ask him, based on my observation of the rude and despicable behavior of blacks on the NY subway, why is it that blacks were so rude. Most African Americans that I know are more understanding of a Continental African's inquiries of themselves. You sound like a non-Black posing as a Continental African, coming to reputable Black forum seeking answers to your dilemmas with African Americans. Before I could complete the sentence, I was angrily and verbally attacked by this fellow, who was repeating physics for the third time. He started to ask me what Caribbean blacks have every done or contributed to science and a whole bag of garbage, which somehow has not helped many blacks in America to become inventors in our modern times, a time when it is most greatly needed. Anyways, I just looked at the fellow, got up and walked away, and that was the last time I had a conversation with him. Not only did I get an A for this subject, but I also became a physics tutor. He later failed the subject at his third attempt. Why would you consult a 3-time flunkie? Do you enjoy being surrounded by unyoked folks...just to get an esteem boost?

I was also called the N word by a black guy, not a white man. Save it David:rolleyes: I didn’t take to this too kindly. I believe that any black person who calls another black person the N word is sycophantic or has psychologically surrendered to social programming. I cannot understand why people who would like to be considered builders of great civilizations can use such a derogatory term as endearment or a form of identity. Something must be wrong with you people. Do you offer any soultions. The "you people" term is a dead give-away. Ignorance is strangling the black population in America. I agree. That, amongst other 'entities'.

If these ignorant and childish behaviors aren’t enough, what I find even more applauding is how Black Americans use clothing as an indication of social achievement. I use to love wearing my old track shoe of yester year to show that my live is not defined by the kind of shoe I wear. I believe that only people with very low self worth and expectation define themselves and others by the kind of shoe, pants, hairstyle or car one drives. I agree. So why don't you address the collective white community on their cut-throat materialism and do-or-die mentality?

I seriously don’t think black Americas want to be free from their mental enslavement. Now you know the problem at hand:MENTAL ENSLAVEMENT. For some, it's all they know. I honestly think that when you complain, you are indicating that you want to be accepted and become more assimilated into the white culture. This is really what all your struggles are about. So, African Americans just decided to up and 'complain'? You're a Physics major, having acquired knowledge of that magnitude, it hurts me that you can't correlate cause & effect to the African American experience. You see yourselves as victims, and as such are always complaining and blaming somebody for your deplorable state. Once a people are oppressed, they ARE victims. The strategy is; to ween ones self FROM victimhood. Most times that seems impossible seeing how the same oppressive tactics are repeated against you CONSTANTLY. The old: "YOU PEOPLE play the victim role" mantra is played out. Focus your energy on helping combat the evils that inflict your 'fellow Brothers'. Afterall, you are now an African American, Brother. Your fate is sealed:look:

I will leave you all with a quote from Na’im Akbar, one of the few conscious black Americans.

” We cannot operate with the expectation that our true liberation can only come when Europeans people change their mentality. The elimination of white racism is not a necessary prerequisite for the liberation of the African mind. Black people cannot commit excessive energy to the effort to alter the attitudes and consciousness of white people with the assumption that this is the path to freedom.
    White racism is a fact of life and we must strategize solutions which are independent of its initial elimination. Just like a racist troll: post once, straddle the fence (above quote from our own) sit back and watch replies, then spread propoganda that Black folks are 'emotional' because we 'responded'.

PEACE

9. The Burnt One

The Burnt One Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    “I sat on a man's back choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very very sorry for him and wish to lighten his load by all possible means- Except by getting off his back." Tolstoi

Destee, thanks for your feedback. I feel honored to be a part of this forum.

The fact that I have signed on as a member and have given myself the name, “The Burnt One” [Hebrew for khawm which means black and burnt] is an indication that I will never abandon my people.

My experiences were not all bad, but I would have liked to see my black American brothers and sisters not abandoning their science courses as soon as the pressure started. I wanted to see some backbone. We reached out to them, but it appeared to us that they preferred to abandon the courses, rather than joint with us to tackle the problem together.

I really appreciate the fact that you have recognized and was willing to accept that the source of the problem is due to integration by indoctrination and assimilation. This has resulted in cultural imperialization for blacks, and as such, is having negative effects on their attitudes and behaviors.

When I refer to black America, I do so from outside the US, as I was only there for two years. I am now living in Canada.

I am aware that there are many conscious black Americans, infact, I bought a few books written by Black Americans, and one of my favorite is ‘The destruction of the Black civilization’ by Chancellor Williams.

United we stand, divided we fall. Let us all join hands and hearts together to form a bond which is impervious to the attacks of those who wish to subjugate us.

Peace

10. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    YOU ARE STILL BLACK AND NOW A BLACK AMERICAN.
    SO THE SAME PEOPLE YOU HAD TROUBLE WITH IS THE SAME PERSON YOU SEE WHEN YOU LOOK IN THE MIRROR.
    dON'T SEPERATE!