Black Entertainment : Where are my brothas and sistahs that listen to house music

Tribal_House

REGISTERED MEMBER
May 31, 2009
Florida
I'm 36 going on 37 in another month and I remember back in the day going to the clubs in New Jersey and New York that played house music seeing nothing but a sea of smiling and spiritually filled black faces with others being a hanful of the populations. I'm down in Florida and I don't know about New York and New jersey for sure but the house music scene or what passes for it now has flipped completely a sea of white faces with a handful of blacks. I arrived here beginning of 1996 after getting out the military and from the time I got here to present I run into way to many of our people that I mention house music, I get this blank stare look. I have only bumped into a few of us that either hail from New York or jersey my age bracket that know what the hell I'm talking about. I get this look and questions of why i listen to this music or comments of thats what whites listen to. Duh and have to explain to them umm this was our music.

I had this one convo with this brother from down here at a job we were working at who said he produces music for X number of years(hip hop) and made the statement that house and techno sound the same and it's composition was the same or something to the effect. I so wanted to slap the piss out of him. I had to pull out my laptop and I played some house and then played some techno from which is response was I was right they are not the same. Even if general on average and not just here its hard to find any of our people that know what house is outside of Chicago, New York, or something like that.

We have been so conditioned by music radio not to listen to anything that really defines us. I have been turning down left and right these people on the street I bump into trying to give away their copy of the music, its always a look of disbelief toward me because they either ask if I like hip hop or they try and shove a demo cd in my direction and my response is always I don't listen to hip hop. It's funny I will actually listen to the rap from my youth over anything that is played now if I have to listen to hip hop.

As an ole skol member HOUSE music was the party and life of the joint while i do listen
to some hip hop music rap and r&b house still the bomb today compared to this stuff
we getting
I use to love the House music mixes on friday nights on B96 in Chicago

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back