Black Entertainment : Where are my brothas and sistahs that listen to house music

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Tribal_House, May 31, 2009.

1. Tribal_House

Tribal_House Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +14
    I'm 36 going on 37 in another month and I remember back in the day going to the clubs in New Jersey and New York that played house music seeing nothing but a sea of smiling and spiritually filled black faces with others being a hanful of the populations. I'm down in Florida and I don't know about New York and New jersey for sure but the house music scene or what passes for it now has flipped completely a sea of white faces with a handful of blacks. I arrived here beginning of 1996 after getting out the military and from the time I got here to present I run into way to many of our people that I mention house music, I get this blank stare look. I have only bumped into a few of us that either hail from New York or jersey my age bracket that know what the hell I'm talking about. I get this look and questions of why i listen to this music or comments of thats what whites listen to. Duh and have to explain to them umm this was our music.

I had this one convo with this brother from down here at a job we were working at who said he produces music for X number of years(hip hop) and made the statement that house and techno sound the same and it's composition was the same or something to the effect. I so wanted to slap the piss out of him. I had to pull out my laptop and I played some house and then played some techno from which is response was I was right they are not the same. Even if general on average and not just here its hard to find any of our people that know what house is outside of Chicago, New York, or something like that.

We have been so conditioned by music radio not to listen to anything that really defines us. I have been turning down left and right these people on the street I bump into trying to give away their copy of the music, its always a look of disbelief toward me because they either ask if I like hip hop or they try and shove a demo cd in my direction and my response is always I don't listen to hip hop. It's funny I will actually listen to the rap from my youth over anything that is played now if I have to listen to hip hop.

2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
  3. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
  4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    As an ole skol member HOUSE music was the party and life of the joint while i do listen
    to some hip hop music rap and r&b house still the bomb today compared to this stuff
    we getting
    I use to love the House music mixes on friday nights on B96 in Chicago

5. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
  6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I like dat sister Cherryblossom kinda remind me of some of these old tapes i have
    on some mege master mixes House was the bomb in the 70's and the first part of the 80's
    I still can remember the red light in the basement party when i was a teen
    Move your body and mixed with magic feet was off the hook everybody on the floor
    jumppin ' dancin da night away with the strob light blinking whewwwwww!!!!

and Jack yo body o' my goodness i haven't heard this in years

7. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
  8. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +863
    Tribe,

This you? How did you find your way to Destee?

9. newspirit

newspirit Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    I listen to classical myself.

10. lilpea

lilpea Moderator STAFF

United States
    retired
    Ratings:
    +343
    House becomes Rave

Yes Tribe...

I can also remember when it started on the west-side of chicago...spreaded to the east-side and then up north. Funny thing I also notice when it got to places like Tenement Square up on the Gold-coasts whites tried to take it over and make it their's. As it spread-ed to places like Cicero, Des Plaines, Buffalo Grove the name changed.. to what? Rave Music...with white kids just jumping up and down and chest-bouncing into one-another. Never could figure that one out. Now when they say they are going to party...they are going to a Rave.

P.S. by the way that's what happen's to our music when they try and make it their's.. it becomes techno.

Anywho...that's the way i see it.:jump::slobber::hot::jumping:

Lilpea :1on1: