Black People : When You Know Better - Should You Do Better?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, May 12, 2010.

?

When You Know Better - Should You Do Better?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Peace and Blessings Family,

You've probably heard the saying ... when you know better you should do better.

Do you agree with it? Do you agree, but think there are exceptions to the rule, etc.?

Please vote in the poll above and share your comments below.

Thanks in advance.

:heart:

Destee

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    Knowing better and doing better sometime is seen
    like hot and cold , knowing the differents people do know
    but doing right is another thing. Sometime we view it from
    a mental stand point where we see fit

Yes we should do better when we know better to better ourselves
    why we don't leaves a question mark ???

seeking solutions !

3. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    I don't understand the hidden meaning of the question or what incident or occurence it is refferenig to, because it sounds simple enough, but what is this really relating to?
    Thank you

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Brother Ankhur ... there is no hidden meaning, particular incident or occurrence being referenced.

No Brother, I just wonder how everyone feels about the saying, question, poll, etc.

I do find your query somewhat humorous, for if there was a "hidden meaning" by definition, you'd not be able to see or understand it ... right? :look:

I just thot that was cute ... but no Brother, it's not real deep or anything ... a simple yes or no answer will suffice, and you can expound on it if you'd like.

Much Love and Peace.

Destee

5. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    Many people here feel enough love and encouragement from the Destee family, that they feel comfortable to ask for encouragement, guidance and prayers from group members concerning personal family emergencies and difficulties,
    therefore I will present mine.
    My sister is a beautiful person who haschangdcompletely after thedeath of parent and the inhritance of property,and despite all of my effortsto save the boat.... well etsjust say she hasdeveloped to not onl pull th cork out but drill new holes every time I replace the cork.
    Now does she know better?
    Raissed with a knowledge of self, went to the best High Scoolsin the city, initiated in Nigeria as a preistess of Yamaja.
    But has put the property and the Black tenants some with children in a Black neighborhood in a state of detrement, behind my back no less then 3times in a 15 month period,while refusing to sit down and discuss anything with me as co-owner personally.

So for me the question has some personal ramificationsto say the least

6. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    If we were robots then yes knowing better would mean doing better for a robot can only do what it is programed (knowledge poured in) to do. However, we are human beings and knowledge is not the only thing that governs our behavior.

There is the credibility and trust we place upon the one who poured that knowledge into us. When the person or group that wants us to behave in a certain way does things that cause us to lose confidence in them then we question the knowledge they gave us.

I have a friend who revealed to her daughter that the man she had grown up thinking was her father was actually her step father. The daughter felt betrayed. She said "Mom, you've always told me to tell the truth, yet here you've been lying to me for ten years." This friend could not win back her daughter's respect simply by demanding it.

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Brother Ankhur ... i'm sorry that your Sister is not well, it sounds like the loss of your Parent has taken a great toll on her. I do hope that she is able to recover from it all, and become her same old self again. I've been in this place, out of my mind krazee at the loss of my Mother, but know that God is able to restore her.

The situation you've shared with us, is a bit different than the question I'm asking, in that ... your Sister is obviously not able to differentiate right now, what she knows she should do, and what she is actually doing. Especially if you know her to be responsible, punctual, all of that, and now she is hardly any of that. Depression can make everything look different than it ever did before. So it's not fair to simply say, she was raised better, knows better, when she is in fact sick in her Spirit. Give her time to heal, and hopefully all will be well.

My question isn't really asking you to answer it for others, only for yourself.

When you know better - should you do better ... you Brother Ankhur ... not your Sister.

Thank you for sharing. I really do wish your Sister the best, and encourage you to have much patience with her.

Love You!

Destee

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Sister River ... those are all good points, thank you for sharing your friend's story with us too.

Does this mean you would have to answer "No" to the question?

I noticed you didn't vote, and am wondering.

Thanks Sister.

Destee

9. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    No, I would not have to say NO to the question. But I would have to consider the meanings of the words that comprise the question.. From the time I was a child the phrase "You know better" has been an accusation that I failed to conform to what others think. So I shy away from the words "know" "better" and "should.."

The word "better" is a comparative. Anything that is better is better than something else I'm always going to ask why is this better than that? Because it is or because the herd says it is? When I come to the conclusion that one thing is inherently better than another then I will do it because that knowledge is deeper than something people just told me which is what is usually meant by "You know better."

Is it possible to really, deeply know better and not do better? When we are told something that information may be filtered through other information and we will not do it because what we have is not knowledge but merely information . Again, we are comparing which is better. If we rationalize and choose the lesser then we lack knowledge because we can not properly process the information into right action.

10. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    Thank you for your concern, and as far as my self it goes without saying, that faith without works is dead, and when one gets to be my age one out of the necessity of the needs of the community must practice what I preach, but not to dwell on it but let's just say that there are some that mourn the loss of a loved one and there are others who abandone , their loved ones be they parents, or hsband or wife, in their feeble times, with the hope that they can do and aquire, what they want when that person is gone.
    A psychopathic type of behavior can be extremely charming, and present a demaenor of elegance, but will do wrong time and time again without remorse, and in the case presented, that has broken my 50 plus years heart, I have watched this decline in some one I love very much, for a period of over 15 years.
    All I ask is for folks to pray for me,

because there are those that know better but do wrong or do not do better,
    even without them being aware of it!

Those who know better but just don't give a dogone, like Cheney, one can deal with but what about someone , who is not conscious of the wrong they do, even though they have the knowledge to do better?

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when you know better you do better