Black Entertainment : When will we stop the self hatred in Hollywood?

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Radical Faith, May 30, 2006.

1. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    I was watching TV this weekend and seen the trailer for a new movie coming out called "Waist Deep". Check the link to see the trailer..

http://movies.go.com/movies/media?name=waist-deep_2006&genre=drama&studio=Rogue Pictures

WAIST DEEP FACTS

Ex-con O2 (Tyrese Gibson) is trying to go straight for the sake of his young son Junior, but he's forced to go back outside the law when the boy is kidnapped in a carjacking. Junior is taken to a vicious criminal leader, Meat (The Game). O2's shady cousin Wanna Be (Larenz Tate) and street-smart hustler Coco (Meagan. Good) must decide if they want to help O2 get his son back.

http://movies.go.com/movies/movie?name=waist-deep_2006&genre=drama&studio=Rogue Pictures

We need more imagery of black men committing crimes against black men, engaged in gun play with other black men and in roles as ganstaz, ballaz and hustlaz like we need a 1 inch hole in our head...The sad part about this is majority of the people involved with production and direction of this movie are black. This is clear evidence of the proliferation of our conditioning. I will take a stand. This movie will not get a dime from me in the trheatre, on dvd or the soundtrack. Comments...?

Peace

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    i don't even like to watch the ad on TV, i turn away.

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62

Yeah, brother Radical, I saw this Tyrese madness, and I said, ****, where and when do we stop encouraging our young people to be the worst kind of scumbags and criminals - when!

To make a damned dollar for Hollywood, these people would sell their narrow black ***** like cheap hos, man, and I'm so sick of it... I feel like a I, myself, wanna do a Menace to Society piece on these people... They are far worse than Oprah, because they feed this insanity to us, and we lick it up like a dog licks his vomit...

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. Sefirot

Sefirot Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +14
    I agree as well. No love from me either. IMO, you can't love capitalism and hate things as such. It sells. It makes cents.

5. IfUComeSoftly

IfUComeSoftly Well-Known Member MEMBER

PD for a Non Profit
    Ratings:
    +12
    these movies are not make by black america and for black america; they are made to satisfy the trends of white america... they are the one's backing and making these movies... even IF the figurehead director is a black man/woman... this is entertaining to them... i feel like we're puppets on a string... and there's sitting out there laughing at us... some subconsciously and other consciously...

6. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137

I would disagree sister some what. Look at who the producers are? One being Russell Simmons and other is Preston L. Holmes. No one in Hollywood can stop anyone from making a movie if the money is right. These movies are exactly made for Blacks in America. This is all part of the conditioning process. If we can be entertained by Black men shooting and killing other Black men in what is becoming the glorification of urban barbarism and street savagery the conditioning is doing it's job. We are not talking about Hotel Rwanda which was and excellent movie but a modern day Blaxploitation Flick. Our actor are getting type casted by there own people. Tyrese Gibsons going from a Naval Officer to an Ex-Con. In a dramatic role such as the one Omar Epps played in First Time Felon this wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing but this movie is not a drama but an action movie. Also Larenz Tate is going back to being casted in these street roles. I thought he did an excellent job in post-apocalyptic movie The Postman. I even thought he did a good job in Dead Presidents. When will our up and coming brothers and sister get a chance to be shown in a different light? Is it too much to ask if our people making movies for us about us do a better job and not just be about getting paid? I don't see Waist Deep as art or entertaiment but as a cheap thrill vehicle for getting paid...

Peace....

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Softly, how you doing, sister!

To some extent you are correct... This is the image White America enjoys seeing of African Americans... What's sad, sister, is that we've become conditioned to love seeing the same images of ourselves that they enjoy...as in when we call ourselves by that epithet they invented for us, and can think of every creative way known to God to justify calling ourselves by this very same epithet... As we've been doing a great deal of conversing on how Colonized our minds are, it should come as no surprise to any of us that we love what White America loves, because they taught us how to love hating ourselves...

THEY did, in fact, begin this whole glorification of gangsters a very long time ago, with those George Raft/Humphrey Bogart/James Cagney/Edward G. Robinson flicks... They continued it up into the Godfather series, as well... We, as a people, seem to lack a real and true filtering system for White Man's madness... We seem totally vulnerable to whatever he puts out here - whether it be beneficial or detrimental to us... The Mind Control is so devastatingly complete, even among the more "enlightened" among us... What it proves is, money don't bring no enlightenment... It brings a love for the status quo, or the very system that made them rich... That's why a Russell Simmons will spout garbage about living the American Dream, and owning property on Rodeo Drive, this little ghetto boy from Hollis, QueensLOL!

That's what he wanted, and that's what he was encouraged to want by his ignant mama and daddy... That was reinforced by all the powerful images and imagery this society is so world renowned for... Those of us who've developed a filtering system need to understand these things before we go off... We got retrace our steps to find HOW we managed to escape it all, and teach others THE WAY... That is the only way we will be able to countermand and reverse the destruction going on...

BTW, a story about Russell Simmons... The man is pretty ambitious, and pretty dangerous, too... For years, NYC activists have been fighting the draconian ROCKEFELLER DRUG LAWS in the state... These laws have sent untold thousands of innocent people to prison(first-time offenders with 20 to life sentences!), and just when these activists are gaining a foothold in the minds of politicians to RESCIND and strike down these laws, Russell Simmons comes in out of nowhere to negotiate with Gov. Pataki to "CHANGE"(Modify)the laws.... Russell had, allegedly, been working with the activists, but decided to go it alone when Pataki gave him the opportunity to 'LOOK GOOD", like a power-broker, in the public eye... Russell has political aspierations, and sold those activists out for the pub... He is truly a brother whom I honestly do not like, because he represents all that is wrong with African folks who've got a little money... They are so selfish and self-motivated, that they would do hurt and harm to us without thought or concern... Right, there is no Black or White to them, only GREEN... That makes e'rythang all good in the eyes of some African Americans...

Radical, that was a fine post following this one... I commend you for it!

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. IfUComeSoftly

IfUComeSoftly Well-Known Member MEMBER

PD for a Non Profit
    Ratings:
    +12
    Brother RAdical... Brother Zay....

you made some great points brother radical; i believe, maybe wrongly so, that , as brother Zay touched on, the motivation behind all of this is greed, money, or a sense of individualism and no great feeling of responsibility to black people as a group/nation; or maybe it is simply "playing the game."
    Lord knows i've played it more times than I can remember; sometimes i lost myself--sometimes i maintained my integrity. This whole idea of 'playing the game' is a very dangerous one; however, at this point in my life i don't know how is to handle it outside of forging ahead all the while 'doing me.'

we agree on its corruption... but what of the solution??? if something is to be done about it all then outside of starting our own media/film/broadcasting companies (which we have a few that are on the same plane as the 'white' owned and operated ones) how else are we to infiltrate these companies without playing the game long enough to get into a position that allows us the flexibility to change the game..... ???????

if that made any sense... lol... if not then.... :eek:oops:

9. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,471
    all i have to say is that....
    the wood of the holly can lead some astray
    and even make some join the fray....

one love
    khasm

10. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    when will we...

when we stop supporting this crap THEN it will die a quick death,i too am sick of these crappy movies still being made,i mean how many times do we have to redo-boyz in the hood-minace to society ect.before we say-ENOUGH ALREADY D##M,and lorenz tate is too good an actor to still be acting in tripe like this,black hollywood there's so many other things that we could be doing.