Black People : When White Actors Play Black Characters

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by oldsoul, Jun 28, 2007.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    When White Actors Play Black Characters: The Whitening of Marianne Pearl
    by BAR editor and senior columnist Margaret Kimberley

When Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl was kidnapped in Pakistan in 2002 his wife, Marianne, became a fixture in international media. The first time I saw her I made a very simple observation. "His wife is black," I said to myself. I know a black person when I see one, and I saw one in Marianne Pearl. In the new film A Mighty Heart, Pearl is portrayed by actress Angelina Jolie. Jolie is white.
    Here we are in the 21st century and a white actor is portraying a black character. Not just any character, but a real life, well-known, still living human being. Anyone who sees Marianne Pearl knows she isn't white, but the powers that be in Hollywood didn't care and knew they could get away with this offensive charade.
    Marianne Pearl was born in France to a Cuban mother and a Dutch father. Her mother was quite obviously black, photos are unambiguous on that point. Her father was European, so she can be described as multi-racial or biracial. It doesn't really matter what term or words Pearl uses to describe herself. She is clearly a person of African ancestry, and putting dark make up and a curly wig on Angelina Jolie doesn't change that fact or fool anyone.
    The days of white actors using various makeup techniques to play non-white people should be over in the new millennium. Who can forget Marlon Brando portraying an Okinawan or John Wayne as Genghis Khan. Those days should be long gone and consigned to the dust bin of Hollywood's shameful history.
    In the old days, white actors always played light-skinned black characters who could "pass" for white. Films such as Pinky and Imitation of Life are historic examples of that phenomenon. We now have a white person portraying a not so light skinned, obviously black, living person. It seems that Hollywood is becoming less enlightened with time.
    Of course, it didn't hurt Jolie that her boyfriend Brad Pitt produced the movie. Because Pitt is a bankable star and producer, he can get whatever he wants. If he had insisted on having an actress of color portray a woman of color he could have gotten that too. It isn't clear if he was motivated by the desire for familial bliss, "color doesn't count, can't we all get along, kumbayah" fantasy, bigger bucks at the box office, or all of the above.
    The rest is here: http://www.blackagendareport.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=260&Itemid=33

2. Mad Skillz

Mad Skillz Well-Known Member MEMBER

Real Estate
    Ratings:
    +251
    mrron would refer to this scheme as "adopting black culture".

[​IMG]

3. The CONGO

The CONGO Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Black indeed

I am almost ashamed to say that it was my teenaged daughter that informed me that Pearl's wife was BLACK. I stood her down that it was not so, only to be scored on the fact that it was and is true.

4. MarchoftheLions

MarchoftheLions Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I think that's why they call it "acting" >.>;

Why not just have Marianne play herself? That would be even more accurate than some other woman of color portraying her.

If Jolie can pull it off...then why not?

5. twashing

twashing Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Same @#$, Different Day

Holy smokes, blackface in 2007!!! And they don't see a problem with this!! Ieee.

6. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    whoa,the lady is black??thanks for pulling my coattail on this my brother,i'm not too familiar with her but saw the movie previews,this is a travesty and i'm glad that you caught it,we get dissed again and there are some who see no harm..so if the story of bishop desmond tutu is ever put on film i guess that robin williams would be a good choice,shot just put a wig and some blackface and we're all set...sad.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. white actors playing black characters