When We Can't Protect Them

river

Watch Her Flow
REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
My sister's eight year old daughter came home and told her that she overheard some other girls talking about they were gay and going around kissing and holding hands.

This isn't the inner city. We are down here in the bible belt. In the city i've seen teenage boys on the bus squeezing one another's crouch. So since we can no longer prevent our children from being exposed to immorality how do we explain things that they are too young to understand?

A lot of parents mistakenly think kids are smarter today. No they aren't. They're just exposed to more but that doesn't mean they understand the information that pours into their minds.

river said:
My sister's eight year old daughter came home and told her that she overheard some other girls talking about they were gay and going around kissing and holding hands.

This isn't the inner city. We are down here in the bible belt. In the city i've seen teenage boys on the bus squeezing one another's crouch. So since we can no longer prevent our children from being exposed to immorality how do we explain things that they are too young to understand?

A lot of parents mistakenly think kids are smarter today. No they aren't. They're just exposed to more but that doesn't mean they understand the information that pours into their minds.

Now that is very bad.

And I'm saying this not from the position that gayness is evil or whatever but from the position that children should not be expressing ANY TYPE of sexuality. I would be just as outraged if children were doing heterosexual things too early (which in some cases they have). So my postion is kids are
being too exposed to sex period. The only thing they need to know is the birds and the bees at that stage... nothing more.

Parents have got to watch what their kids take in during television time. We as adults can look at something and don't internalize it, but kids do.

And I'm really suprised to hear about that in a Bible Belt area, especially considering I was raised in a Christian school. There might be some downlow stuff, but in general conservative Christians are very, very against that, teens and adults.

river said:

This is why it is important to teach one's children values in the home, because they will be exposed to the world's corruption once they leave it. It didn't used to be like this. At one time (especially in the black community) the values learned in the home, the community, and school all coincided. Now children receive one lesson in the home, another one in the school, and yet another one in the streets/community. The important of having a strong family has become more important than ever. Unfortunately though the family unit in black America has become its weakest at the time it is needed most.

It's going to take a major restructuring to rebuild the Black family. For so many years we have bought into the westen/American idea of the nuclear family as an isolated, autonomous unit. The idea that that's not my child and therefore not my business is re-enforced by society's refusal to support those who try to reach out to the nuclear family unless they are government workers who just take the children away and do not support the family.

Pan, I know you are working hard to bring about this restructuring. It will mean fewer teenagers out there trying to figure life out on their own--fewer young parents wringing their hands not knowing what to do and having no one to help.

I think it's better to tell kids the truth about sex. If we tell them fairytales then they will think what they hear out on the streets is the real truth. My cousin told me the average age to lose your virginity in New York is eleven. Now that's just an average which means it's being done much earlier than that. Truth with values taught will be much more effective than fairytales and silence.

river said:
It's going to take a major restructuring to rebuild the Black family. For so many years we have bought into the westen/American idea of the nuclear family as an isolated, autonomous unit. The idea that that's not my child and therefore not my business is re-enforced by society's refusal to support those who try to reach out to the nuclear family unless they are government workers who just take the children away and do not support the family.

Pan, I know you are working hard to bring about this restructuring. It will mean fewer teenagers out there trying to figure life out on their own--fewer young parents wringing their hands not knowing what to do and having no one to help.

I've made a major step in establishing what I plan to do. Now all I have to do is put the program together: Which is going to involve fund raising and traveling to other countries to see how it has been done. I hope to be finished within a year of so...I want it done right.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back