Black People : When Someone Apologizes...What Do You Do?

When someone says, "I'm sorry..." and they genuinely mean it....and you know it...
Do you forgive them?
In most cases, yes. In some cases, I just wish they'd go away. That's usually when they did me a wrong (lied on me, misjudged me and made me out to be "less" than I am, e.g., "oh she's only here because she can't "afford" to be there," or "did this because she's afraid to do that," etc.) and are "sorry" because they got caught, underestimated me, whateva.

Do you forgive them and forget it?
or
Do you forgive them, but still keep in mind what they did, by not forgetting?

"Forgive but never forget" is my motto.

If you apologize to someone do you expect them to forgive and forget?

I would hope they would forgive me, but I don't think I'd "expect" it. It's up the other person whether they want to forgive. As for "forget" I don't think so. Once you do something out of line, others' perceptions of you change, so "forgetting and everything going back to everything being the same" is prolly not going to happen.

Can you truly forgive someone, if you still hold on to what they've done and never forget?

Yes, you can. The two, forgive AND forget, don't necessarily go together. If someone steals from you, then is sincerely sorry (sorry they had a lapse in moral judgment, not sorry they got caught), you are a fool to allow them into situations where they are "tempted" again. The only way you can prevent that, is by "remembering."

My definition of "forgive" is to stop thinking about the foulness that another person has perpetrated. That's it. Should they apologize, fine. Means nothing. It's just words. People DO things to hurt you, but atone for it with words? No. I never forget that that person is not to be trusted and treat them accordingly.

This applies to everyone... including my man and my mama.

My definition of "forgive" is to stop thinking about the foulness that another person has perpetrated. That's it. Should they apologize, fine. Means nothing. It's just words. People DO things to hurt you, but atone for it with words? No. I never forget that that person is not to be trusted and treat them accordingly.

This applies to everyone... including my man and my mama.
If we forget how to forgive well then we will never need forgiveness. Ya who! Weight lifted off.I see u treat them According to your attoned hate for them. It's about you and the happiness between yall right. Sometimes you have to go against the grain so to speak. For your sake. Lighten up or explain why your so unforgiving honestly. Everyone is their own person so if they hurt your feelings well they are speaking from their perception of the situation. Compromise and empathy.

If we forget how to forgive well then we will never need forgiveness. Ya who! Weight lifted off.I see u treat them According to your attoned hate for them. It's about you and the happiness between yall right. Sometimes you have to go against the grain so to speak. For your sake. Lighten up or explain why your so unforgiving honestly. Everyone is their own person so if they hurt your feelings well they are speaking from their perception of the situation. Compromise and empathy.

So you have decided that you are qualified to judge me? My ways and actions work for me, thanks.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back