Black People : When one uses their individual experience to obscure a collective matter.

Some examples:

Collective: The criminal justice system is against black people and needs to be fixed.
Individual experience: Maybe. Maybe not. I was framed by the cops for theft and the judge saw through it and set me free. :10500:

Collective experience: Cops in NYC are stopping & frisking bruthas all over the place!
Individual experience: I'm black, I'm a male and I live in NYC. I've NEVER been stopped by a cop nor have any of my black buds at work. :10500:

Collective experience: Blacks are last hired/first fired in private industry.
Individual experience: My company has had several lay-offs in the past yet I've been here for 24 years and NEVER been laid off while whites have. :10500:

:news:

Some examples:

Collective: The criminal justice system is against black people and needs to be fixed.
Individual experience: Maybe. Maybe not. I was framed by the cops for theft and the judge saw through it and set me free. :10500:

Collective experience: Cops in NYC are stopping & frisking bruthas all over the place!
Individual experience: I'm black, I'm a male and I live in NYC. I've NEVER been stopped by a cop nor have any of my black buds at work. :10500:

Individual experience: My company has had several lay-offs in the past yet I've been here for 24 years and NEVER been laid off while whites have. :10500:

Thanks for sharing, Kadijah.

Some examples:

This post is perfect in showing what this thread is asking.:toast:

I think the problem comes in when a person passes judgement, or denies a situation just because they have not had the pleasure of experiencing it.

Peace!

In using sista kadijah's example of stop and frisk, I personally has not had that happen. But it would be foolish of me to deny it based on that when I've seen it done to others. Now if I was in a position to help the race, and I held them back based on me not experiencing a certain situation, then yes, I'm being counter productive.

If I can be honest, I feel this thread has something to do with the Detroit water situation, and the opinions being expressed in it. If it isn't, my apologies. If it is, it's flawed due to the fact that many of us have seen hard times, and have had services shut off, but that does not exclude us from speaking what is right.

Peace!

If I can be honest, I feel this thread has something to do with the Detroit water situation, and the opinions being expressed in it. If it isn't, my apologies. If it is, it's flawed due to the fact that many of us have seen hard times, and have had services shut off, but that does not exclude us from speaking what is right.

Peace!

If you feel it has something to do with this thread, then quote those as examples.
So that we can see if they accurately reflect whenever the individual experience is used to obscure the
condition of the group or collective, it works to damage or dismiss potential to interpret and analyze
the reality of the broader issue community. That way we can limit the speculation.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back