Black Women : When #MeToo excludes me: current movement mutes black women’s voices

IFE

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jan 20, 2015
When #MeToo excludes me: current movement mutes black women’s voices

Time Magazine recently released their Person of the Year issue, showcasing the “silence breakers” — multiple women who spoke out against sexual violence and who spurred a national conversation with the “#metoo movement.”

At first glance, I noticed that one of the more prominent of the five faces pictured on the cover was Taylor Swift, who won a lawsuit against a radio personality who sued her after he was fired for allegedly groping her

But omitted from the cover was the founder of the Me Too Movement, Tarana Burke, who first coined the phrase 10 years ago to combat the silence over sexual violence.

Black women and girls deserve more respect, visibility in the #MeToo movement

This has been a monumental year for the reaffirmation of women’s rights in the workplace and the ballot booth. This is long overdue. The battle for the rights of women, and specifically Black women and girls, has gone on for centuries. In America, the spotlight on this fight for women’s rights shines brightly on White women, while Black women, who have often fought more vigorously for equality and justice, are largely consigned to the shadows of the movement.

This movement, at this time, is about white women in Hollywood and Harassment. They won’t let it go and these white women don’t want to talk about sexual assault.

Rape is a crime. The MeToo movement is not calling out the crime. Sexual harassment is not a crime. It’s a workplace violation.
Call rape what it is, a crime.

That’s why I stopped posting about MeToo.

Gabrielle Union on #MeToo: ‘The floodgates have opened for white women’

“I think the floodgates have opened for white women,” the actress told the New York Times in an interview published this week. “I don’t think it’s a coincidence whose pain has been taken seriously. Whose pain we have showed historically and continued to show. Whose pain is tolerable and whose pain is intolerable. And whose pain needs to be addressed now.”

Gabrielle Union on #MeToo: 'The floodgates have opened for white ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...o-the-floodgates-have-opened-for-white-women/ - - Cached - Similar pages

Can #MeToo movement do harm? Ansari story raises question

The #MeToo movement has been embraced by legions of women as a vital step toward countering widespread sexual abuse and misconduct. This week, more so than at any point in the movement's brief history, there's visceral discussion about its potential for causing harm.

"Though they may have wanted to be in solidarity with other women, the stories of dates gone wrong or women scorned have detracted from women who have been raped or seriously sexually assaulted," she said.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/nation-world/national/article195280709.html#storylink=cpy

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back