Black Women : When #MeToo excludes me: current movement mutes black women’s voices

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
When #MeToo excludes me: current movement mutes black women’s voices

Time Magazine recently released their Person of the Year issue, showcasing the “silence breakers” — multiple women who spoke out against sexual violence and who spurred a national conversation with the “#metoo movement.”

At first glance, I noticed that one of the more prominent of the five faces pictured on the cover was Taylor Swift, who won a lawsuit against a radio personality who sued her after he was fired for allegedly groping her

But omitted from the cover was the founder of the Me Too Movement, Tarana Burke, who first coined the phrase 10 years ago to combat the silence over sexual violence.

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
Black women and girls deserve more respect, visibility in the #MeToo movement

This has been a monumental year for the reaffirmation of women’s rights in the workplace and the ballot booth. This is long overdue. The battle for the rights of women, and specifically Black women and girls, has gone on for centuries. In America, the spotlight on this fight for women’s rights shines brightly on White women, while Black women, who have often fought more vigorously for equality and justice, are largely consigned to the shadows of the movement.

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
This movement, at this time, is about white women in Hollywood and Harassment. They won’t let it go and these white women don’t want to talk about sexual assault.

Rape is a crime. The MeToo movement is not calling out the crime. Sexual harassment is not a crime. It’s a workplace violation.
Call rape what it is, a crime.

That’s why I stopped posting about MeToo.

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
Gabrielle Union on #MeToo: ‘The floodgates have opened for white women’

“I think the floodgates have opened for white women,” the actress told the New York Times in an interview published this week. “I don’t think it’s a coincidence whose pain has been taken seriously. Whose pain we have showed historically and continued to show. Whose pain is tolerable and whose pain is intolerable. And whose pain needs to be addressed now.”

Gabrielle Union on #MeToo: 'The floodgates have opened for white ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...o-the-floodgates-have-opened-for-white-women/ - - Cached - Similar pages

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
Can #MeToo movement do harm? Ansari story raises question

The #MeToo movement has been embraced by legions of women as a vital step toward countering widespread sexual abuse and misconduct. This week, more so than at any point in the movement's brief history, there's visceral discussion about its potential for causing harm.

"Though they may have wanted to be in solidarity with other women, the stories of dates gone wrong or women scorned have detracted from women who have been raped or seriously sexually assaulted," she said.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/nation-world/national/article195280709.html#storylink=cpy

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Zimbabwe : Zimbabwe needs #MeToo moment, says acclaimed author Zimbabwe 0
IFE Black Women : Black Girl Magic and Black Girl Rock - MeToo Founder Tarana Burk Black Women 3
IFE Black Women : #MeToo? Black Women on the Periphery of a Movement Black Women 30
IFE Law Forum : #MeToo Movement Has Lawmakers Talking About Consent Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
IFE Black People : #MeToo Shows That Women Must Learn Sexual Self-defence Black People Open Forum 8
IFE Black Entertainment : How the #MeToo Movement Could Kill Some Sexy Hollywood Movies Black Entertainment 1
IFE Black People Politics : Saying #MeToo in Japan Black People Politics 0
IFE Black People Politics : Ivanka Trump tries to hop on Oprah’s #MeToo message. #MeToo says no thanks. Black People Politics 3
IFE Black People : The #MeToo Moment: What’s Next? Black People Open Forum 9
Kemetstry Black Women : METOO Black Women 81
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : trumps-muslim-ban-excludes-muslim-countries-linked-to-his-business-empire Black People Politics 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Black Lives Matter activist Hawk Newsome on the current state of America Black People Politics 0
Chyko Black People Politics : Current News USA Today: Ben Carson Ruthlessly Mocked For Opening White House Cabinet Meeting With Prayer Thanking God For Trump Black People Politics 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : Omarosa’s Last Sermon As Ordained Minister Draws Protesters - Plus Current Updates Christian Study Group 31
HODEE Black People Politics : GOP doesn't hear a WHO? ( Written shortly after the current administration took office ) Is still taking it! Black People Politics 1
Bennu-Sopdet The Front Porch : Current State of the Kemetic Community The Front Porch 4
chuck Health and Wellness : What Are Your Viewpoints About Our Peoples Current Day Health And Wellness Truly Being Based On? Black Health and Wellness 0
Babasola Black People : Are Black men at fault for the current state of affairs in Black America and what do you suggest we Black People Open Forum 20
Liberty Black Money Business Jobs : First Ever Book to Reveal 1,000+ Current Job Openings For African Americans That Pay $65K - $100K Black Money Business Jobs 0
Liberty Internet Technology : Twitter’s Former News Manager Talks About His Current Project “Today In #BlackTwitter” Science and Technology 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Dave Chappelle Opens Up About Making Comeback in Current Racial Climate Black Entertainment 0
cosmicmom Black Spirituality Religion : What are your thoughts on whether metaphysics is inconsistent with your current belief system? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 89
candeesweet Black Poetry : Current buts not around Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
I Science and Technology : best current web tech Science and Technology 1
legit-writer Black People : Need to Vent II - Talking Ugly About Your Current or Future Employer Online Black People Open Forum 3
suputnik Black People : Toward reparations in the current climate. Black People Open Forum 31
Enki Black Entertainment : Why aren't movies made about the current black plight? Black Entertainment 173
chuck Black People : What Are Our Peoples Current Day Issues And Problems? Black People Open Forum 27
largo Black People : 15 current technologies a child born today will never use Black People Open Forum 5
D The Front Porch : Historic and current oppression, Writing, White people telling the story The Front Porch 8
B Black People : "Change": Your Views on the Current Political Scene" Black People Open Forum 24
W Black Haiku : Current Mind State | Dúbb'l yoo T Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Destee Site News : Our Current (01/09) Site Down Time Announcements 7
Y Black People : Changing our Current Definition of Racism. e.g White Supremacy Black People Open Forum 40
Therious Black Entertainment : the wackest current rap song?? Black Entertainment 19
L Black Poetry : His name shall be holy!To tha current leaders dealing with Evils Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
D Black Poetry : Reflectin on a past/current love.... (Viewpoint from the Wife) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
E Current Events Black Children 0
Bluewater Black People : Current Events Civil Rights Black People Open Forum 0
blakverb Black Poetry : Past and current Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7