Brother AACOOLDRE : When it comes to welfare whats in a name?

AACOOLDRE

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jul 26, 2001
Michigan
Occupation
Teacher
WHAT IS IN A NAME?
By Andre Austin

A few months ago a democratic governor from Michigan changed The Family Independence Agency to the Department of Human services. The ultra right wing part was irate at the new name. They object that the government would say they are providing a service to the poor.

The right wing Christian Republicans do have a point to their objections. Scriptures can point out a quote to their side:

“Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody” (NIV 1Thessalonians 4:11). This on the surface appears to be a rallying cry of independence and a shout to the “Welfare Brats” to move on with a job.

In life there’s always two sides to a coin and story. The way I read the story in the New Testament was that Jesus came to provide a service to the poor. Jesus didn’t come to get served but to serve the work of his faith. As a matter of fact rich people are going to find it hard to get to the Kingdom of Heaven according to the NT (Luke 4:18). So what type of service did Jesus serve:

1. Feed the hungry (he gave out food stamps) Rom 12:20
Paul gave up all his goods to feed the poor 1 Cor 13:3
2. Clothed the naked
3. Healed the sick (he gave out Medicaid cards) Luke 5:13
4. Gave knowledge to the dumb (he had a virtual University) Matthew 12:22

The first three services were written on many obituaries of Egyptians Kings. Jesus says that I know thy works, and charity and service” Rev 2:19 As a matter of fact Merchants who practiced the dirty version of capitalism are doomed (Rev 18:11) The right wing of the conservative party are obsessed with the paper chase of money that they are in jeopardy of losing their souls to the darkness of Hell. If money is the root of all evil then this is a branch for them to cut off and get back to serving humanity.

Don’t get me wrong both quotes for independence and service are correct. it’s the method of results I’m concerned with. We should strive to serve the poor so that they can be independent. Its cool to give people the equipment to make their own bread and catch their own fish. But in times of emergency miracles like the five loaves of bread and two fish needs to be performed to feed starving Africans and devastating events like hurricanes disasters.