Black People : When is the last time you changed your mind?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Gorilla, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    I just started reading this sequence over on the LessWrong Wiki called "How to Actually Change Your Mind" (http://wiki.lesswrong.com/wiki/How_To_Actually_Change_Your_Mind). It's a pretty interesting series if one finds things like reason,rationality, and metacognition fascinating topics.

It got me thinking about when is the last time I've actually changed my mind or opinion about something. It's not something I necessarily have a problem doing, but I don't keep an active track of it and it could probably be improved.

Here are the last few mind changes I can think of:
    • I find myself agreeing with much of what the Pirate Party stands for and I'm probably going to try to register to vote as a Pirate Party member instead of being Independent. It makes no practical difference besides being counted as one of them.
    • Windows 8 has been enjoyable. It boots fast, it's pretty stable, and I think it's a decent OS. Metro isn't that bad and most of my apps run fine in desktop mode.
    • Apple isn't going to get any money from me as long as they make things that can't be maintained by me after the Apple Care runs out or they decide to no longer support an OS X revision.
    • EDM has a few styles that I can enjoy especially during certain activities like kicking back or programming (electro jazz, electro disco).
    • I am thinking it may be worth owning a 3D Printer and learning more about milling and electronics. None of those things have any real practical use for me, but branching out hobby wise wouldn't hurt.
    My question is when is the last time you've actually changed your mind about something? What was the tipping point? (new information, seeing that the old position no longer made sense for you somehow etc)

2. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    The list is of what you think now(?). How was your mind "changed," and from what that's on your list? :)[/quote][/quote]

3. Gorilla

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    It's where my mind and opinion are on those things now. I didn't think Windows 8 was going to be any good until I bought it and used it. I didn't like EDM until I found out about nu jazz/electro jazz and disco blends etc.

4. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    But the OP is about "changing" your mind. You've told us how you think NOW (the list). In order to know how you've "changed," however, we need to know what went before. :10500:

5. Gorilla

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    They're pretty simple positions. It's not hard to figure out what I probably thought before them without reading an essay about each bullet point.

6. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Gotcha!

7. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    today. i realized that you can't reason with an idiot (not referring to anyone on this site). i thought i could. boy was i wrong.

8. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Just now...

9. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    The last time I changed my mind was when I had to change my order to onion rings instead of seasoned fries.

10. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    When I decided not to let the release the hungry pit bulls when my mother-in-law came to visit.