Black Spirituality Religion : "When God Was A Black Woman, And Why She Isn't Now"

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Fine1952, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Fine1952

Fine1952 Happy Winter Solstice MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,774
    by Joseph C. Gibson
    [​IMG]
    (Copyright 2008)

"...Most people regardless of race or gender will find it virtually impossible, because of religious conditioning and/or secular ignorance, that God, whenever depicted in human form, was originally depicted as a Black woman. African-Americans are arguably the most apprehensive to refute what has been taught to them as divine, primarily because of the impact enslavement and subsequent cultural imperialism has had on our religious beliefs. We demand concrete proof of such a 'ridiculous' proposition as God originally being depicted as a Black woman, even though we never demanded such for a pale, blond-haired, blue-eyed depiction of Jesus--at least not until fairly recently and definitely not en masse..."

2. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    I grew up with the notion that the creator is in essence is an African woman

3. Fine1952

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,774
    How fortunate for you (smle)....!

It's taken me a bit longer than that to realize the important and integral part the Afircan Woman has played in the shaping of the world.

I have a copy of "When God Was A Woman" by Merlin Stone -- and like the author of this CD says I often pondered why she never made reference to the Black Woman specifically. I summed up that all caucasians regardless to their liberal alligence's to 'people of colour' carry a 5% degree of racism...this trait is natural and inate. I'm fine with that -- unless they show me that 5% they never get to hear my razor sharp tongue.

Thx for responding, Corvo!

4. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    At some point maybe people will realize that depicting the divine in any human form eventually leads to despair.

5. Fine1952

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,774
    The unenlightened always jump in head first w/o taking the time to do the necessary research. Therefore, I most certainly expected this type of comment from you as I am convinced that you have not done the necessary unglamourous job of either reading this ebook or the book referenced by Mr. Gibson: "When God Was A Woman" by Merlin Stone.

6. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    The difference between you and I, Fine1952, is that I'm a Thinker sharing my original thoughts.. whereas you are a simply a reader.. a fan.. sharing the thoughts of other thinkers for the purpose of attempting to appropriate the rays reflected from their shine. You surround yourself with their things and stand proudly near them like they have something to do with you. Like you yourself should be honored by mere association alone.. (Sorta like a british museum filled to brim with the shine of other cultures.. with nothing of value to contribute.)

So, when I answer your threads, I'm answering the ideas contained in the thoughts of the thinker whose work you have shared, not you. The things I (and many others) say fly over your head so often because you were never there in the conversation to begin with.. you are simply presenting the ideas of someone else that is there.

recognize that.

7. Fine1952

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,774
    If you were a 'critical' thinker you would research b4 you speak and hold back on the empty coon-jectures.

Unlike you I am not new to this forum. If you don't know you'd better ask somebody. Therefore, save your empty rhetoric for someone who really cares, I don't.

Deuces:wink:

8. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043

Did you just call me a coon? Black people don't call each other coons. I'm not even gon tell on you.. It's actually better for everyone to see just how you roll..

-peace.

9. Fine1952

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,774
    Reading is comprehensively fundamental ...it's your comments I refer to as coon-jectures...you are on your own as it concerns any other meanings that fly into your head.

10. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    The energies and creative forces that many call the creator and some may call "a God" have no form. Some Africans have given this idea the symbol of the African woman because it's the closes or perhaps the best symbol they felt. For me it fits quite well, a lot better then some white dude.

I see no despair caused by it.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when god was a black woman

2. black woman is god

3. the black woman is god

4. when God was a woman and why she is not Gibson pdf