Black Money Business Jobs : When Family Members Owe You Money

Discussion in 'Black Money Business Jobs' started by river, Jul 11, 2013.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I guess this thread could just as easily go in the relationship forum, but I decided to post it here because focusing on the relationship may well be part of the problem. I am in a sticky situation and want to get some other perspectives and suggestions before I act, so please share your thoughts.

I am a website designer. I've been doing work for family and friends of the family for several years but because of the close relationship (mother, aunts, uncles, etc), have not required them to stick to the fee schedule on my business website. They basically pay me when the spirit moves them. They know if they went somewhere else they'd have to pay a lot more in a much timelier fashion. It seems kinda sliek because we'll be talking about something else, say a trip to see other family members and they'll tell me how tight their money is and they hope they'll be able to make the trip. Then two or three months later, they'll want me to make extensive updates on their website. Well, I already know their money is tight, so I just do the work, trusting them to pay me when they are able.

This is how my uncles' relationship busted up. They were tight partners for decades. They kept very sloppy business records. Then one day one of them decided he was being cheated and demanded they straighten up their act moneywise. After getting a free ride for decades, of course the other brother felt put upon.

Specifically, I have been creating and maintaining a site for a family friend who recently sent me what he calls an "incomplete list" of revisions he wants me to make. At first, I started to just do it without saying anything about payment, even though one of the images he wants me to change may involve pixel by pixel color removal. My father told me it's time to ask for what I am worth. This isn't a personal site. This site is for a singing group which they will use to promote and sell their music. He has paid me occasionally, but I haven't kept a record of it. I want to charge him my retainer fee for the last four years since it can be proven that I have been updating this website for at least that long. But without adequate accounting, proving how much of my basic fee he still owes me ($50 a page and $20 per image) might be an uphill battle, so I will just consider it paid . I charge a $60/year retainer fee. so I would be asking him for $240.

My problem is, I'm reluctant to do this. I've never down it before. Suppose he knows this and gives me a hard time in the hopes that I will back down? I might not back down. I might feel forced to take his site offline the way I did when my cousin cussed me out in lieu of paying me for his site.

My work is stellar. Ask brotha Oldsoul. I know it's worth much more than the money I charge. I just have a problem (call it a hang up, if you will) taking what could risk my relationships with my family and friends. How do I switch gears and start requiring tighter business standards after doing it so sloppoly for years?

2. candeesweet

candeesweet Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,019
    I do nails and I ask them what can I do with $20 vs what they gon pay the shop. They get to thinking and getting embarrased for themselves. Then if they cant get it from there, I tell them no I can't do that and pay bills. And I don't want to ask if you can loan me some, cause u swear I'm doing good enough to not get paid. I guess fam can getting moronic too n hey own ways. Just get down on they level girl. No hard feeling just tuff bills to pay.

3. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    You don't have a legal leg to stand on - or any leg. You can't make up a NEW charge and make it RETROACTIVE. You can't say I'm charging you $60 to "retain my services" when your services have come and gone, i.e., AFTER the fact. I'd advise you leave that alone and concentrate of making a contract for every little bitty service you perform. It's work but you can take it to Judge Joe Brown if they don't pay up!

4. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    That makes sense. I hope I won't have to take him to court, but if we do have a contract and he reneges on it, I have the option of taking his website down. He won't find anyone who can do the quality of work that I do without having to get up off some serious money.

What constitutes a legally binding contract?

5. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    That makes sense. I hope I won't have to take him to court, but if we do have a contract and he reneges on it, I have the option of taking his website down. He won't find anyone who can do the quality of work that I do without having to get up off some serious money.

6. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290

7. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290

8. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290

9. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290

10. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290