Black People : When did YOU FALL IN LOVE with HIPHOP?

Many times over...

...but Hip Hop broke my musical vir gin ity (can we use that word here?) around 1985 I think, during the summertime when I attended a concert starring Run-DMC & Jam Master Jay (Tougher Than Leather), LL Cool J (Radio), Whodini (Open Sesame) and Beastie Boys (Licensed to Ill). Started rockin' Adidas sneaks, gold rope chain & peace medallion. Fell in love all over at each of the following milestones:

1. when my Sistas put us on the map with Salt-n-Pepa "Tramp" video & "Push It", Roxanne Shante & Real Roxanne battles, Finesse & Synquis MCM style
2. Doug E. Fresh & Biz Markie beat box madness, DJ Red Alert mastermix dance parties from NYC introducing us to all the newest Hip Hop flava (Boogie Down Production Crew (their original name with Scott La Rock)..."The Bridge Is Over", "Criminal Minded", MC Lyte, Def Jeff, Schooly D, Just Ice, Stetsasonic, Kid 'N' Play (true Old School Hip Hoppers will recall "Last Night (Changed It All)", too many others to name.
3. Slick Rick & Dana Dane too fresh & too clean, clean

This love affair shall last forever, because there will ALWAYS be Trues keeping it alive & winning my heart to Hip Hop all over again. Digable Planets (dagnabit, they better reunite!), Dead Prez, Canibus, Aesop Rock, Aceyalone, KRS-One (forever), Roots, Common, Jurassic 5, Ozomatli, Black Star (Mos Def, Talib Kweli), Coup, many others!

Now what is wrong with me???

How did I just come up in here and compose a reply to this without mentioning the WARRIOR KINGS of conscious Hip Hop, PUBLIC ENEMY!!! I own ERRRR'THING of theirs!!! What's wrong with me that I failed to mention the Princes of Hip Hop, POOR RIGHTEOUS TEACHERS (Wise Intelligent, Culture Freedom, Father Shaheed)??? And I don't know if the rest of yas feel the same as I do, but LAST POETS and GIL SCOTT HERON pioneered Hip Hop, and are not to be overlooked. I fell in love all over again with Hip Hop upon introduction to each of the aforementioned rap/spoken word warriors. Whew! Those comrades :teach:!

XXPANTHAXX said:
also we got 20 hrs of conscious hip hop playing on our online station 7 days a week!!!
Including all Dead Prez including the latest all Paris including the lastest all Public Enemy including the latest plus tons of others like Arrested Developent, KRS1, Common, XKlan, Black Star, A Tribe Called Quest, Del La Sol, Professor Griff, The Coup and many others, check our broadcast schedule....

Brother J, what you know about X-Clan? :wink:

I will mos definitely be tuning in, now that my machine is back in working order. Asante sana for the heads up, RBG!

well i actually cant remember the exact time and place but all i can actually remember is that my family alwas was into hip hop, rap, jazz. but i really started understanding and listening when i started to hear run dmc and then tupac bonethugs man lots of stuff. oh and a big shout out to the movie Brown Sugar dats one of mai favs

my first love

music was my first love. i always had an appreciation for hip hop but didn't fall in love with hip hop til i learn that it's more than just music it's a culture it's an organism it's a living breathing thing but it dying slowly because so many people don't get it that why me and my boy (the one who opened up my eyes to the world of hip hop) started a record label to save our first love.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back