Black People : When did YOU FALL IN LOVE with HIPHOP?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by SOULDEEP3, Nov 5, 2003.

1. SOULDEEP3

SOULDEEP3 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    The begining of the movie BROWN SUGAR, caused me to conjure up this thread,so for those of us from the days when HIPHOP was actually WORTH LISTENING TO & LIVING the CULTURE,WHEN DID U EXPERIENCE YOUR LOVE AFFAIR WITH HIPHOP,& HOW LONG did it last :spin: ?

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    hiphop has always been around and i was into it
    til of lately as new singers have took it to a level
    of madness i left it then

3. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    i agree with Rich..but i still listen to mine nothin out there like them

4. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    good thread man...props

i fell in love with hip hop back in 1987 while a sophmore in highschool...i used to go to house parties that one of my friends would throw like once a month in his basement...5 dollas if you was drink'n and 3 if you wasn't...i remember he had a red police light in his basement that would spin around...and that was all the light that that was needed...it was o.k. i mostly went for the girls back then...it really wasn't the music because back then house music was my ish...mr. fingers, farley jackmaster funk, etc...but then this song came on and it hit me hard...BDP's supa ho...i don't know why...it must have been the beat and the rhymes...i felt it in my soul...then some top bill'n by AUDIO TWO came on...my goodness, it was all over after that...i've been married to hip-hop eva since...tru hip-hop, not dat bullshucks...right now while type'n this message i am listen'n to this group called SEMI OFFICAL,and they represent what was going on back then...that commercial rap is played, it's been played in my eyes for a long time...what happened to an EPMD no crossover? hmmmmm...something to think about...cause **** near everybody has crossed over...even my man...REDMAN

5. SOULDEEP3

SOULDEEP3 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Eyyo, Khasm, you just took me back......

......to 1990, when I went to a house party right across the way of FOREST PROJECTS...I was deep with my crew,& I remember slow-dancing with this dimeshorty from my highschool {STEVO ROCK ON!} to the CLASSIC ***Bonita Applebum***[BONITA,Bonita,Bonita]:love:
    We were all in the basement, with the BLUE LIGHT burnin & all that.....SLOWJAMMIN to Tribe, just like they was IN THE VIDEO! Khasm, you just made my day with that memory...Good lookin,Koolie High :toast:

6. Nia Maishani

Nia Maishani Well-Known Member MEMBER

Business Owner
    Displaced at the Junction of Hoosiers and Bluegras
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many times over...

...but Hip Hop broke my musical vir gin ity (can we use that word here?) around 1985 I think, during the summertime when I attended a concert starring Run-DMC & Jam Master Jay (Tougher Than Leather), LL Cool J (Radio), Whodini (Open Sesame) and Beastie Boys (Licensed to Ill). Started rockin' Adidas sneaks, gold rope chain & peace medallion. Fell in love all over at each of the following milestones:

1. when my Sistas put us on the map with Salt-n-Pepa "Tramp" video & "Push It", Roxanne Shante & Real Roxanne battles, Finesse & Synquis MCM style
    2. Doug E. Fresh & Biz Markie beat box madness, DJ Red Alert mastermix dance parties from NYC introducing us to all the newest Hip Hop flava (Boogie Down Production Crew (their original name with Scott La Rock)..."The Bridge Is Over", "Criminal Minded", MC Lyte, Def Jeff, Schooly D, Just Ice, Stetsasonic, Kid 'N' Play (true Old School Hip Hoppers will recall "Last Night (Changed It All)", too many others to name.
    3. Slick Rick & Dana Dane too fresh & too clean, clean

This love affair shall last forever, because there will ALWAYS be Trues keeping it alive & winning my heart to Hip Hop all over again. Digable Planets (dagnabit, they better reunite!), Dead Prez, Canibus, Aesop Rock, Aceyalone, KRS-One (forever), Roots, Common, Jurassic 5, Ozomatli, Black Star (Mos Def, Talib Kweli), Coup, many others!

7. Nia Maishani

Nia Maishani Well-Known Member MEMBER

Business Owner
    Displaced at the Junction of Hoosiers and Bluegras
    Ratings:
    +1
    Now what is wrong with me???

How did I just come up in here and compose a reply to this without mentioning the WARRIOR KINGS of conscious Hip Hop, PUBLIC ENEMY!!! I own ERRRR'THING of theirs!!! What's wrong with me that I failed to mention the Princes of Hip Hop, POOR RIGHTEOUS TEACHERS (Wise Intelligent, Culture Freedom, Father Shaheed)??? And I don't know if the rest of yas feel the same as I do, but LAST POETS and GIL SCOTT HERON pioneered Hip Hop, and are not to be overlooked. I fell in love all over again with Hip Hop upon introduction to each of the aforementioned rap/spoken word warriors. Whew! Those comrades :teach:!

Brother J, what you know about X-Clan? :wink:

I will mos definitely be tuning in, now that my machine is back in working order. Asante sana for the heads up, RBG!

8. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    don't forget da jungle brothers....
    da jb's come'n thru...
    with belly dance'n dina...:lol:
    peace
    khasm

9. ilove2pac08

ilove2pac08 New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    well i actually cant remember the exact time and place but all i can actually remember is that my family alwas was into hip hop, rap, jazz. but i really started understanding and listening when i started to hear run dmc and then tupac bonethugs man lots of stuff. oh and a big shout out to the movie Brown Sugar dats one of mai favs

10. Joker

Joker Active Member MEMBER

Ceo of illdelph records
    Ratings:
    +0
    my first love

music was my first love. i always had an appreciation for hip hop but didn't fall in love with hip hop til i learn that it's more than just music it's a culture it's an organism it's a living breathing thing but it dying slowly because so many people don't get it that why me and my boy (the one who opened up my eyes to the world of hip hop) started a record label to save our first love.